Golden Triangle Victoria weather advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
loamer said:
GT - There have been some reasonable breaks between the rain. The ground is now nice and cool - very good for detecting. I even gave my VLF a quick run on some 'hot ground' - very quiet. a bit of water around in the creeks and the dams are starting to look good. However, because of some fire-track/access work, what were 2WD tracks are now 4WD only - the graders have done a pretty el-crapo job. Some tracks also have some pretty reasonable dead-fall as well. It has been worth taking a chain-saw to clear some of the tracks.

Thanks Loamer, the hilux goes just about anywhere without too much trouble, good muddies help :D More concerned about getting the 5k wet and having to sit in a pub somewhere watching rain..........I can do that at home haha!

:lol: Just wrap a plastic bag around the whole set-up and away you go. The main marked tracks are generally OK - its just the tracks into the scrub in places that are bad in places including Tarnagulla, Dunolly and Wanyarra. The pubs are really nice and cozy - The Newbridge (across from the footy club camping ground) has/is being done up. Seriously, there have been some good breaks in the weather, and there are a few people about in the scrub detecting.

Just do it Ched, you will get plenty of time on the ground.
We are heading up tomorrow [Thursday] arvo and coming home Sunday night.

Well the neighbour and I decided with heavy hearts to postpone the trip until there's a bit more favourable weather. 6 hours drive to and risk losing time swingin' (maybe 2 days) was a bit high for both of us. Time to put some of my research to use on some of the old mines close to home, there are plenty within a 1/2 hour of me, see if I can get the 5000 to play amongst the really hot rocks around here. I have never found any detector holes around any of the diggings in my area.........and I know there is some there as I've seen it with my own eyes! 8)

While on the subject of research, this forum is a brilliant base for knowledge, the readily available information and experience of some of the "old hands" that is given freely is a credit to all.

Nugget needs a special mention.......he does an exceptional job keeping things going!! :)

You Missed out Ched, Thursday a tad overcast, Friday brilliant sunshine, this morning sunny and overcast this arvo.
But NO RAIN.
unless they predict 20 or 30mm it is always detecting weather here.

I knew it :| .........oh well planning the next trip already! Didn't find any yella around home but got a few relics......1907 threepence was a good find though :) did a fair bit of scrub bashing around a few old mines close to home but alas most were almost totally inaccessible with 6 foot high blackberries and the mess that forestry leaves be hind after they harvest the pines......not real pretty! Makes me wonder where the $$ from the fossicking permit go.....

This is uncleaned, came out of an old mullock heap looking like this......not a bad consolation find ;)

1401579620_1907_edwardvii1.jpg

1401579654_1907_edwardvii2.jpg

Hey Ched, 10 minutes after I posted above the heavens opened up, and I mean opened up.
It was still raining at about 1130 this morning when we left.
44.2 ml according the rain guage at FIL's place.
Mt "new" 5000L tank is 2/3's full :)

Redfin said:
Hey Ched, 10 minutes after I posted above the heavens opened up, and I mean opened up.
It was still raining at about 1130 this morning when we left.
44.2 ml according the rain guage at FIL's place.
Mt "new" 5000L tank is 2/3's full :)

Hate to say it mate but that makes me feel a bit better.........I just didn't want to travel and be robbed of swing time. Rather go so I can maximise the time. Hope it didn't stuff it up too much for ya! Good thing the tank's full though :)

yep - tanks are filling up nicely.Tracks are a mess however. dams are full.

Hi all, I'm coming over in a couple of weeks and just wanted to know, from people who are like minded, if any of you have floated away yet. I'm looking to stay at Waanyarra Camp ground so, is it still there. Can I expect to be able to camp as usual? Thanks, in advance! Daz.

hey Daz, a heap of rain and floods might hinder your camping ground but could also wash out top soil and unearth that elusive retirement nugget.

Wanyarra is open although the tracks are bad and lots of deep ruts and mud - several roads around Dunolly and Moliagul were closed yesterday. Several road closures around the triangle at the moment so keep checking Vic Roads website - the St Arnaud to Tarngaulla road has taken its usual pounding in the low areas but was open but not to Dunolly at the Moliagul turnoff. Laanecoorie is overflowing and the Loddon downstream is on the rise. The ground is super wet with the usual increase in false signals with lots of leaf litter washed down from gully slopes. Forest tracks are very chopped up with lots of trees down. 4WD is OK in most places. Most creeks are running around the area with Carisbrook flooding (again).

Am heading up to Dunolly in a few hours.
Will try and fit in some happy snaps.

1473903560_rc.jpg

Latest posts