Solar Panels and Electricity Bills.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 14190

Too old to care anyway.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the June 2017 we decided to have a look at putting solar panels on our house as the Electricity bills were climbing at a fairly alarming rate. We contacted a local supplier and a 24 panel 5 Kilowatt system was installed in very quick time, the cost of supplying was under $4,500.00. It was decided not to have a battery system installed at that time. The installer had all the information on our area and he felt that we would reduce our electricity costs down by at least 70% and with care might even get close to no bill at all.

After all the meters were changed and the system was running correctly our first bill came in at about 50% of previous, as we live on 5 acres we have no town water, so have about 20,000 gallons of tank water which had to be pumped, we realised that the system we were using meant that the pump turned on the second a tap was opened and it is a 1.5 hp pump, so an air cell was fitted with a capacity to supply 30 litres before the pump started again. All globes in house were changed to LED as well as spot lights on exterior.

On the second bill after the solar was fitted we went into credit, not by much, but did not have to pay and that trend has continued and has now climbed to well over $1000.00 credit and was climbing at a rate that was beginning to become a bit of problem as to how to use it a bit, so this year we have decided to use the air conditioner for heating instead of the wood fire. We have about 5 ton of wood cut ready and it does keep the house warmer and is more satisfying to look at, but we have had some very strong winds over the past few weeks and during those times we always end up with smoke being blown back down the flue pipe, no matter what I have done to overcome this problem it will be smoky at some time.

I do not miss the spiders and assorted bugs that get carried in with the wood nor the getting up at 5am to put some more wood on the fire so the house is warm when we get out of bed and then during the day having to open the house up to get rid of the excess heat and smoke smell. Now the air conditioner is set to come on at a suitable time for a warm house in the morning. We have been using the air conditioner now for just over 6 weeks and our last bill has just come through and we still managed to go further into credit. The solar panels have paid for themselves in 2 years instead of the 4.5 years calculated by the installer. Best decision we ever made. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Graham

2lateagain said:
In the June 2017 we decided to have a look at putting solar panels on our house as the Electricity bills were climbing at a fairly alarming rate. We contacted a local supplier and a 24 panel 5 Kilowatt system was installed in very quick time, the cost of supplying was under $4,500.00. It was decided not to have a battery system installed at that time. The installer had all the information on our area and he felt that we would reduce our electricity costs down by at least 70% and with care might even get close to no bill at all.

After all the meters were changed and the system was running correctly our first bill came in at about 50% of previous, as we live on 5 acres we have no town water, so have about 20,000 gallons of tank water which had to be pumped, we realised that the system we were using meant that the pump turned on the second a tap was opened and it is a 1.5 hp pump, so an air cell was fitted with a capacity to supply 30 litres before the pump started again. All globes in house were changed to LED as well as spot lights on exterior.

On the second bill after the solar was fitted we went into credit, not by much, but did not have to pay and that trend has continued and has now climbed to well over $1000.00 credit and was climbing at a rate that was beginning to become a bit of problem as to how to use it a bit, so this year we have decided to use the air conditioner for heating instead of the wood fire. We have about 5 ton of wood cut ready and it does keep the house warmer and is more satisfying to look at, but we have had some very strong winds over the past few weeks and during those times we always end up with smoke being blown back down the flue pipe, no matter what I have done to overcome this problem it will be smoky at some time.

I do not miss the spiders and assorted bugs that get carried in with the wood nor the getting up at 5am to put some more wood on the fire so the house is warm when we get out of bed and then during the day having to open the house up to get rid of the excess heat and smoke smell. Now the air conditioner is set to come on at a suitable time for a warm house in the morning. We have been using the air conditioner now for just over 6 weeks and our last bill has just come through and we still managed to go further into credit. The solar panels have paid for themselves in 2 years instead of the 4.5 years calculated by the installer. Best decision we ever made. :Y: :Y: :Y:

Graham

I have had positive and not so good returns as my charge in rate has changed from 63c/kwh on install to 23c. Not sure why but I think the 63c was an initial suck you in type deal for x years. But having said that, this last summer and on the low rate I started to get some $+ve rebates for my feed-in and I have put that down mainly to a son and grandson moving out of the house. I only have 12 panels and they are now < 8 years old, so glad to start seeing the benefit is a rebate in the +ve region, rather than just as a reduction in the payments made.

Latest posts