February in the golden triangle

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willo

Ian Williams
Reaction score
G'day all just returned from a weeks detecting in the golden triangle area with another forum member, Detectist. Weather was hot so got on the move early each day and laid up during the hottest part of the day.

Worked a combination of the digs, near the digs and further out (the last day and a half) from the goldfields.

My best was a 2.2 gramer from a gully, it was 40 cm down. Also managed 3 other pieces of about 0.2 -0.3 gram with the 14 inch NFA coil (it has amazing sensitivity). For the bush detect used the 17 by 11 inch NFA. Rest of the time swung the standard 11 inch.

Also found a nice halfpenny toekn which is shwon in the picture of my finds. Another highlight was a very nice specimen weighing about 2.8 grams with an estimated 1 -1.5 grams of gold in it.

Had a great time! We did have some debacles, least of all was the loss of my mobile phone which muct have fallen off the seat of the car or out of my pocket when at Tarnagulla taking a photo of the two story grandstand. Incredibly, a mate from another goldfield who was staying
with a friend at Tarnagulla found it and made contact with my wife, I didnt know it was my mate but the voice was familiar and I asked him if he lived in Tarnagulla after which all become clear.

The final photo is of a 53 gramer I was shown.

Hopefully Detectist will post his finds when he is ready.

1392422538_finds_2014_3.jpg

1392422561_2.2_grammera_1.jpg

1392422575_2.2_grammerb_2.jpg

1392422600_specia_1.jpg

1392422661_chris_gold_1_1.jpg

Thanks guys forr your comments much appreciated. Willo

Some bute gold there willo. I would like to think a 53grammer has my name on it some where out there. The gold from the triangle has a colour all of its own, its nice looking stuff. Its amazing how you can find species, jagged and water warn pieces in an area. Thanks for sharing willo, you got us even more revved up now. :)

Good on ya Willo, I hope the gods smile on me as they obviously have you. We leave for the Triangle tomorrow from South Australia and will be there for 12 days, then to Ararat for another few. If I can duplicate any finds like yours, I too, will be happy to post some piccies. Good on ya, mate, keep swingin'.

Tassie Daz said:
Good on ya Willo, I hope the gods smile on me as they obviously have you. We leave for the Triangle tomorrow from South Australia and will be there for 12 days, then to Ararat for another few. If I can duplicate any finds like yours, I too, will be happy to post some piccies. Good on ya, mate, keep swingin'.

Good luck Daz will be keen to hear how you go! Ian

In your opinion and why, what months are the best for detecting in the Golden Triangle.
Weather, vegetation, etc.
Thinking of planning a trip over there.

the mighty GT is great detecting at any time of the year the best months where you could detect for the best part of 8-10hrs a day would be late febuary to early november vegetation dosnt change much and if your lucky the DSE mite stuff up a burnoff and open up some new areas for you,these months are a lot cooler,and it will rain at some stages being the winter period but that allows you to do some high banking trommeling or panning, :lol:

February on is spot on time ,maybe take some gathers mate.
There are still a few legless fangars around until colder weather
kicks in.

dwt said:
Drbean said:
February on is spot on time ,maybe take some gathers mate.
There are still a few legless fangars around until colder weather
kicks in.

hello Drbean your on the money with those legless fangers,and dont forget those bloody march flies.............. :eek:

yeah......thought i recognized that voice ,hey jump on "introduce yourself " section and share some tales. :D

Rege PA - there is no bad time to visit the goldfileds but temperature wise you cant beat April or October Willo

Latest posts