A quick dash away

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

On Thursday I was going through the process of trying to justify heading to Wedderburn on a very tight budget. Cash strapped but keen as mustard to have a swing. I sent my mate craig (husky) on the forum a text letting him know I was considering taking off for the weekend and probably heading to Wedderburn to hook up with Chewy. He replied with, I'm keen and I'll shout the fuel. So I decided if he was paying we would head to a place I've been looking into. But haven't had a chance to make it to.

With that the mad dash to get packed was on. Come Friday morning I sent husky a text saying I was ready and knowing he was sorted after he had just knocked off night shift. With his swag packed and 4500 loaded Myself, my two boys and husky were off by 10am. Heading down the highway with the standard thoughts of, I wonder what the area will look like and will we ping a piece flowing through my mind. I love heading to new areas I've been looking into and looking for that un-thrashed patch.

Making the final turn onto the road that would take us to the section of bush that I had studied on Google Earth for so many hours, I was quietly confident that this was indeed a good area and there was a chance that this would be a place that we would be able to revisit.

Heading down the track and observing the unfamiliar ground, we reached the gully with the first series of mullock heaps that I had viewed from GE.

After the long drive it was time to get out of the car to inspect the area and the mullock's. The mullock heaps were spread out and about two meters deep and no obvious sign of good gravels. So back into the car and off to the far end of the gully. Heading along the track the excitement was building. Comments like this area looks mad, were gunna get a piece and I'm stoked we got away filled the car.

Finally we arrived at the far end of the gully. This section had the highest concentration of diggings that I had observed and would provide us with the best chance of finding that elusive nugget. With the car pulled off the track and the trailer backed into a spot right next to the run of mullock's. We had found our spot.

With the driving out the way it was time to go to work. With a quick scour of the area, I was harnessed up and ready for a swing. I literally took five steps and got my first signal. It was that sweet, stable and mellow sound the GPX's produce. Husky looked over with a surprised look on his face and said "your on" and I had a grin from ear to ear. With the mandatory scrape of the boot, the signal had improved. I thought to myself " this is gunna be a good spot". Out with the pick and took of the first inch of dirt and the target was still in the hole. With another inch taken off the target was out and I was impatiently making my way through the pile with my scoop. After several scoop fulls, the target was in my hand and the first piece of the weekend was found. Gold, I found our first piece of piece of gold kids. It wasn't big, but it was at least the right colour. You beauty...
1448932569_173.jpg

With that husky was suiting up and my boys and I were off to find that next piece. We walked about 100mtrs into the middle of the heaps, where we had found some nice looking gravels on top of the mullock's and had been detecting for about ten minutes when husky yells out "I've found a sun baker". I replied with "how big? It's a good one he says. On my way over I asked him again "how big do ya reckon"? At least a gram he says. I'd made it the 30 odd meters to where he was staring at the ground in amazement. He had left it in situ for me to see and in my excitement after saying it's bigger that a gram mate. I removed it from it's resting place. Holy s#!t. What a great looking nugget. It's a beauty. Well done mate.
1448932604_20151127_171400_noexif.jpg

After inspecting husky's sun baker, I was even more determined to find more of that yella stuff. So off we went in search of our next piece. It wasn't long before I got another one of those sweet faint sounds coming from the 4500. It was in a washout and covered by some great looking pebbles. I've never had success in these situations due to the old timers rubbish always finding it's way into these little creek sections. But within a minute or so I was looking at my second little piece and with the light fading it was time to set up camp, have a feed and a beer or two.
1448932745_167.jpg

The next morning we were at it again. It was a pretty slow start to the day. But eventually I got another good signal and asked my son if he wanted to find it once I had it out of the ground and into the pile. After what seemed like an hour he had it in his hand. It was the biggest piece we had found in months. Not huge but I was wrapped to have it and my son was happy to have found it.
1448932647_159.jpg

After that we decided to go for a detect up the hill and have a bit of a look around. We didn't find any gold, though we found some promising ground that we could explore another time. The day was heating up so we headed back to camp and cracked a beer. After a couple of brews I was ready for another scour close to camp. With me saying to my boys "we'll find another piece". Within 20 minutes they were over it and headed back to camp. Not a couple of minutes later I had another signal and had isolated it in a ball of clay, which I quickly took back to camp to let my boys to search for the content.
This would be my final piece of the weekend and a piece my youngest son who would claim for his own. Now they both had a piece.
1448932684_163.jpg

1448932807_186.jpg

1448932902_175.jpg

1448932959_177.jpg

1448932853_20151127_160139_noexif.jpg
We ended up having a great weekend and found a new area to head back to. I cant wait to ping a piece on the surrounding hills once it cools down a bit.

Thanks for reading my very long post. Hope you enjoyed :)
Cheers, NG.

Stru said:
heart shapped nugget, thats gonna be hard to top! better not let my wife see that...or the one i'm fixing on a necklase for xmas will look a bit ordinary!!!

Considering it is his second nugget, I think it's a bit of fate and good karma. When we got to the location. I said to my boys that we were here so Craig could get his second nugget. Which was always going to be for his daughter. He couldn't have found a better piece if he tried :D

Thanks AR and SCROUNGER. I'm pretty stoked with them and very happy for husky. I cant wait to get back there, considering we had to leave Sunday morning so husky could get some sleep before starting his shift Sunday night.

Great write up Neo :) it was a mad dash weekend with bugger all sleep but cant thank you enough for taking me to your "hot" spot.. The 11" elite screamed its head off when i walked over that sunbaker, i first thought it was gonna be trash til looked down & saw colour :eek: Gave me wobbly legs just looking at it :D

Hard Luck said:
Aha..So you sent us to hard hill hell hole camping ground whilst you went and scored all the gold. :D :D
Neos skullduggery obviously paid off Hard Luck :lol: :lol:

Neo
Great write up and pics. It's always good to hear of a successful trip. Gives the rest of us hope to keep boots on the ground.
Well done.
What coil did you have on the 4500?
Cheers dig'n-it :)

husky said:
Great write up Neo :) it was a mad dash weekend with bugger all sleep but cant thank you enough for taking me to your "hot" spot.. The 11" elite screamed its head off when i walked over that sunbaker, i first thought it was gonna be trash til looked down & saw colour :eek: Gave me wobbly legs just looking at it :D
Nice find Husky. Well done!
What did you think of the 11" Elite? Considering one myself.
Cheers dig'n-it :)

Latest posts