A quick dash away

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers everyone, absolutely inspiring weekend I cant wait to get out again :) Dig'n-it, Ive only recently bought my 11" elite and this weekend was my first time out on the field with it, I must say Im pretty impressed with it, super sensitive with crisp sharp response/signals.. its a great size and weight coil I reckon. I was playing with the settings on and off being a new coil and was able to run pretty high gain most of the time. Apart from my sunbaker i didnt come across any other small bits to dig up in our allotted time limit (Neo was smashing them with his 14" elite :D ) but i found it was lethal on tiny birdshot etc at decent depth so loving it so far.

Chewy said:
Bloody sensational work mate. Very nice haul for the weekend and far out well done husky on that beautiful heart shaped piece. It was waiting for you mate. It's fate. Great write up NeoGeo. Sounds like you made the right call. :)

Cheers mate. I'm a happy camper for sure. It was good to get away albeit for such a shot time and the gold is just a bonus. I'm still looking forward to hooking up with you for a swing and like I said, I have the perfect place for you to get your second piece as well. I'll even film it for you for prosperity sake :) This summer is coming on slow, so hopefully we might be able to make a trip in the not too distant future. Coz there is no way I can wait till next April for it to cool down to ping another piece.

husky said:
Great write up Neo :) it was a mad dash weekend with bugger all sleep but cant thank you enough for taking me to your "hot" spot.. The 11" elite screamed its head off when i walked over that sunbaker, i first thought it was gonna be trash til looked down & saw colour :eek: Gave me wobbly legs just looking at it :D

Cheers Bro, A hectic weekend it was and as always a shame to head home. All good in regards to taking you to the spot. There is no one I would rather have taken and was happy to have assisted in your No.2 nugget. I'm glad you found it. You have helped me to no end over the years and I look forward to you finding many more in the areas I research. Coz even though we found a good spot, I got plenty more to explore :) My bigger piece is coming, don't you worry ;)

Dug said:
Great post Neo ,good read .
Cheers Dug, would love to have heard a bit of a story about your most recent find ;) Truth be known, I enjoy telling stories regardless of my average English skills. I'm spell checking words regularly :lol:

Hard Luck said:
Aha..So you sent us to hard hill hell hole camping ground whilst you went and scored all the gold. :D :D
Sorry bout the asbestos HL, I forgot about that one :/ In all honesty mate I would love for you to have found heaps of gold. As always, there were no guarantees when rocking up to a new spot that there will be gold. This time I just chose a good-ish one. Like Creswick mate, I would be more than happy to put down the 4500 and help you out. It's blokes like you, who have a hard time gettin to the GT due to your dedication to raising you kids, that I would take pride in choppin out with a location where you stand a chance of pinging a piece. I'm in a similar boat as you right now with my kids and struggle to get to where the gold is. So when I do I make it count. We need to sit around the camp fire again and shoot the s#!t.

nucopia said:
Always happy seeing others finding nice size nuggets gives me hope !
Well done guys awesome read and pictures too
the heart shape nugget is a you beauty !
Me too nucopia, I don't mind who finds it. I just like seeing it. I'm glad you liked the pics and story mate, I hope you find that bigger piece soon... I cant wait either :D Mine will come one day.

Goldtarget said:
Great write up NG. Well done gents.
Awesome example of good aussie mateship alive and well with gold to boot! Nothing like a few pieces to get the spirits soaring. Top show.
I'd love to see you blokes go back and smash it.

Thanks GT, we've been mate's for ova 20 years and have been through a lot together. He deserves that piece and more, trust me. I enjoy the mateship as much as the gold. So for me prospecting solo ain't that enjoyable. It's like going fishing by yourself, for me it sux. I love sharing the experience of the hunt and the catch. Ya not wrong about " getting the spirits soaring" It gets hard when you put the time and $ in to come home empty handed. Its these good times that keep ya going through the tough times. So let the good times roll..
Don't worry, we will be back. I spent last night researching the lay of the land so to find source of where its shedding and where the run might be. I can't wait to get back there. I think its coming from the opposite hill to the one we walked.

Good luck out there Bruv.
All the best.

ozziii said:
Nice write up Neo & congrats on the nuggets to both of you, that heart nugget looks great.
Seeing some nice nuggets like these gives me hope that I will find my first.

Glad you enjoyed it ozziii and thanks. Yep, she's a beaut and I love my son's long-necked dog with an overbite in full stride nugget :D
Yep, that first piece can be a tricky one. It will come and when it does, it will be all the sweeter. There is nothing like research and time on the ground to improve your chances. My first piece was found at the start of the year and was only small. But I'll never forget the location and the feeling of relief when I saw that first bit of gold. Instead of lead and other junk that I had found lots of.

Good luck mate.

NeoGeo said:
ozziii said:
Nice write up Neo & congrats on the nuggets to both of you, that heart nugget looks great.
Seeing some nice nuggets like these gives me hope that I will find my first.

Glad you enjoyed it ozziii and thanks. Yep, she's a beaut and I love my son's long-necked dog with an overbite in full stride nugget :D
Yep, that first piece can be a tricky one. It will come and when it does, it will be all the sweeter. There is nothing like research and time on the ground to improve your chances. My first piece was found at the start of the year and was only small. But I'll never forget the location and the feeling of relief when I saw that first bit of gold. Instead of lead and other junk that I had found lots of.

Good luck mate.

I normally can't see things/shapes in nuggets, but now you mention the long neck dog I can see it,haha.

Been doing alot of research & checking out some area's but I think I need to head north from Ballarat, although the new headphones should help. I'll be more than happy if I find a little nugget like those of your's.

I concentrated on mullock heaps till I got my first piece. It was a .26 piece. Then I tried a mix of mullock's and gullies. Gold is gold, but I like the feeling of finding gold out in the slopes. In the hope of finding that good patch. Considering all these pieces came from mullock's. I was still happy to get that first piece, which was tiny :)

NeoGeo said:
Hard Luck said:
Aha..So you sent us to hard hill hell hole camping ground whilst you went and scored all the gold. :D :D
Sorry bout the asbestos HL, I forgot about that one :/ In all honesty mate I would love for you to have found heaps of gold. As always, there were no guarantees when rocking up to a new spot that there will be gold. This time I just chose a good-ish one. Like Creswick mate, I would be more than happy to put down the 4500 and help you out. It's blokes like you, who have a hard time gettin to the GT due to your dedication to raising you kids, that I would take pride in choppin out with a location where you stand a chance of pinging a piece. I'm in a similar boat as you right now with my kids and struggle to get to where the gold is. So when I do I make it count. We need to sit around the camp fire again and shoot the s#!t.

All good NG. I have no problem with not finding any. I can't say I put much time in detecting last weekend. I was just glad to get away for a night.
And glad you guys got some.
Sure we'll catch up sooner or later.

aussieroger said:
Great post, sounds like you've got a good spot
Congrats hope you find heaps there Neo :D

Cheers mate, so far so good. I'm pretty keen to get back there. Especially with all this cool weather we are having. I might have to bite the bullet and head back sooner than expected?
Hope you get your pick back soon :)

Awesome write up and amazing result!
I wanna pack the car and get going right now - but have nowhere to go and no idea!
Great research too!

Bloody terrific!

spatch said:
Awesome write up and amazing result!
I wanna pack the car and get going right now - but have nowhere to go and no idea!
Great research too!

Bloody terrific!

Cheers spatch, I'm glad you liked it :)
If I could, I'd be out there right now for a week at least. But alas I'm here doing the next best thing? Research.
I'm sure I am not the only one who will tell you that research is honestly the key. As much and as often as you can.
Prospecting Australia is a great place to start-Gold Maps & Resources and Gold localities & information. Study the area you want to head to.
Goevic (if your in Vic?) and Google earth are a good tool as well.
To break up the monotony of researching websites, maps and written info. I watch an unhealthy amount of stuff on YouTube. There are heaps of Australian prospecting vids on there and I like to look at the surrounds of where these people are detecting. Is it Hilly? Is it flattish? What the ground looks like? Is the gold associated with quartz, ironstone or conglomerate?
It might be a little daunting at first, but give it a while and it will become second nature.

All the best mate,

NG :)

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement buddy.

Going up to Ballarat this weekend for other reasons, but will scope the area out a bit and ask a few questions.
Taking the kids to Sovereign Hill Sundayso will buy a few small bottles of gold to drop in their pans to get them hooked ;)
Then have a scrounge around town Monday before heading home.

Very basic research, but we gotta start somewhere I guess. Thanks again!

After missing out on catching up with you a few weeks ago NG, it's heartening to read of you not only introducing your kids to the hobby, but standing tall and helping out ya mate(husky) and you all got Gold. :cool:

Just remember if your back around the GT to look me up and we can check out a few areas around here... ;)

Nice color & Good job....a pleasant read leading into summer....

Now if i can just break the camels back and get back to finding the good stuff myself, i can get off benefits and make a show of my own. 8)

Gypsy

Latest posts