Clermont Qld information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, I just watched the gold digger chicks pull out a few pieces just recently from Clermont. :)

Tassie Daz said:
Hi Lee, we were there for 5days and not so much as a whisper. I visited 5 of the 9 GPa's and to be fair didn't give the place a lot of time as we couldn't spend too much time there, but I was annoyed at the amount of destruction to the historical area done by heavy implements. Hell if that sort of destruction was done to the goldfields in Victoria, there'd be hell to pay.

I was there, or had contact with 4 other detectorists, and of all of us, I think there was only one tiny piece found, and that was only a fluke.

Okay Daz
In QLD your fossikers permit must be carried with you & is required to be produced when requested, I can't comment on the GPA kit!
A 5 day trip in which you visited 5 of the 9 GPA's, not sure how long you detect for each day or if you move around during the day? but what I can tell you is, 1 day at each spot is in no way enough time to even get to know the area let alone the ground you should be looking at!! I am not trying to have a go at you at all, but in a new area I don't expect to find much in the first 4 day's & to put that into perspective there have been literally thousands of people over the Clermont GPA"s, in this sort of area it takes even more work, you just have to be a bit smarter how you go about it!!!!!

The thing with pushed area's is that immediately you get better depth because the top has been taken off for you, They NEVER get it all!!!!!! in NQ there are many area's that have seen a huge amount of work by "Machines" over the years, it is not pristine so deal with it.

To write off an area after a short trip, frankly you are not being fair dinkum, there will be "Gold" found there for years to come!!!!

This comment you made strikes me as Strange!!! "I think there was only one tiny piece found, and that was only a fluke" why was it a fluke??? can't every find be called a "Fluke"

Mate I know it gets disappointing when you don't find "Gold", there are many a "Duffer Trip" but you don't see to many complaining on here hey!!
cheers
& chin up
Lee

Hey Daz
Just a question or 2 for background.

How long have you been detecting?
Have you found much "Gold"?

Answering these ?? may enable folks to try to help you a little if that is what is needed?
cheers
Lee

Lee, I wont hide behind my lack of fines. I've found precious little, and that's over about 3 yrs, but I keep trying, researching and hoping. And I did say right from the beginning that I'd cause a stir, that I was in the area only a short time and that it probably wasn't long enough but it strikes me that areas down south [in Vict] are looked after better and kept in their original state. For example, you just wouldnt be able to destroy a puddler [I didn't come across one by the way]in an effort to work an area, or push it.
And I guess while I've caused a stir, you can all tell me to stay down south and detect there and frankly that's exactly what I will do. Qld's too far to travel for precious little possibilities.

By the way if anyone lives in the Yeppoon area, send me a msg.

Tassie Daz said:
Lee, I wont hide behind my lack of fines. I've found precious little, and that's over about 3 yrs, but I keep trying, researching and hoping. And I did say right from the beginning that I'd cause a stir, that I was in the area only a short time and that it probably wasn't long enough but it strikes me that areas down south [in Vict] are looked after better and kept in their original state. For example, you just wouldnt be able to destroy a puddler [I didn't come across one by the way]in an effort to work an area, or push it.
And I guess while I've caused a stir, you can all tell me to stay down south and detect there and frankly that's exactly what I will do. Qld's too far to travel for precious little possibilities.

By the way if anyone lives in the Yeppoon area, send me a msg.

Like I said Daz, not having a go at you just trying to help you understand, this is a hard pass time!!
I would say that there has been many an area destroyed in all States, but VIC has put measures in place to prevent any further loss of historic area's & this is a good thing!!!!!!!!!

The thing is mate there are huge area's in NQ that you can detect, if you do the research, did you find this info that I provided to the forum some time ago????

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10159

I know a guy who just spent 13 day's at Western Creek & got 5 oz's so it is still out there

cheers
Lee

I SEE GOLD said:
Jaros said:
What detector do you have?? :p
Hi Jaros,
I have an ATX and also a sd2200.

Mate you have it covered with these 2, more importantly what coils do you have, maybe try to organise a trial of one of the new coils??
I use an SD2200d as my main unit, make sure you have an audio booster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers
Lee

rc62burke said:
I SEE GOLD said:
Jaros said:
What detector do you have?? :p
Hi Jaros,
I have an ATX and also a sd2200.

Mate you have it covered with these 2, more importantly what coils do you have, maybe try to organise a trial of one of the new coils??
I use an SD2200d as my main unit, make sure you have an audio booster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheers
Lee

I Love seeing The Older Models Holding Their Own,

john

Hi Lee, thanks for the info of the old thread regarding the places in NQ. As one of the guys remarked in your earlier thread, "its way too far for me" and as I said, and to be fair to Qld I was only a "blow in". The fact still remains though that destruction is being done to areas up there that are promoted as great detecting spots and frankly I question that. It is only my opinion and I hope I am allowed to express that opinion here.
Someone has suggested I am "bagging" a place but all I want to do is offer an opinion about a place I visited that I felt had the "Telltale" signs of yesteryear wiped away.
I guess in the end it means, in that area, if you want to find gold there you have to be able to adopt that old search practices of loaming and understanding the signs that the land shows you and not depend on those signs left by the Oldtimers, because they are not there to see.

I will be heading out to Clermont in about a month with an sdc 2300. It will only be a quick stop off as I drive through to Townsville. But after the negativity about the place in this thread, it is nice to hear some people defending it. Detecting will always be more looking then finding.
In saying that though, if someone has some good experience in the area and could point me to a more productive gpa, then I promise to leave some gold in the ground for the next guy. :lol: :lol:
I think some people lose sight of what our hobby is and are unhappy if their not pulling big nuggets out of the ground. When I find little 'fly poo' nuggets, I'm grinning from ear to ear.

Tassie Daz said:
Hi Lee, thanks for the info of the old thread regarding the places in NQ. As one of the guys remarked in your earlier thread, "its way too far for me" and as I said, and to be fair to Qld I was only a "blow in". The fact still remains though that destruction is being done to areas up there that are promoted as great detecting spots and frankly I question that. It is only my opinion and I hope I am allowed to express that opinion here.
Someone has suggested I am "bagging" a place but all I want to do is offer an opinion about a place I visited that I felt had the "Telltale" signs of yesteryear wiped away.
I guess in the end it means, in that area, if you want to find gold there you have to be able to adopt that old search practices of loaming and understanding the signs that the land shows you and not depend on those signs left by the Oldtimers, because they are not there to see.

Mate
Like I said not having a go at you, just putting some perspective on it, I know fully how frustrating this hobby can be at times & I don't get the time I would like to be out in the bush, so the pressure is on when I do, I love the bush & love finding "Gold" I am not denying the fact I am out there to find some $$$$ at the end of the day, but it is all a bonus!!

I agree with you on the destruction of old workings, but more from a historical point of view, not as an indicator!! you still have the maps etc; of where they were located, the real key is to search out away from the diggings as they have seen too much attention.

Enjoy & I hope you find some good "Gold" soon!!!
cheers
Lee

Tassie Daz said:

I don't think you are Bagging the Place, Bagging the Out Right Vandalism of the Place Maybe?? But who wouldn't when something has been destroyed,

We Know your a Grumpy Ol Bugger That's why We Like Ya, :eek: :eek: :D :D :D :D

It'll Be Right Daz, Don't worry Mate.

john

We are at Clermont at the moment and I can verify that someone has been dozer pushing adjacent to old dry blower heaps in
a lot of areas out at McMasters. And what a bloody mess it has been left in.
Very loose friable ground, one can barely walk over it let alone detect. There are ML,s out there which have been similarly pushed and left a mess. Say no more?
The main chance for gold is in the steeper gullies.
mike^

boobook said:
We are at Clermont at the moment and I can verify that someone has been dozer pushing adjacent to old dry blower heaps in
a lot of areas out at McMasters. And what a bloody mess it has been left in.
Very loose friable ground, one can barely walk over it let alone detect. There are ML,s out there which have been similarly pushed and left a mess. Say no more?
The main chance for gold is in the steeper gullies.
mike^

Well that's not good mate, maybe a big company has been prospecting there, maybe some of the Locals might know what has been going on,

Not hard to work out where dozer came from/went. By the tracks left it was only around D4 size and the driver very inexperienced. Big scallops out of the ground and no sign of back floating with the blade to smooth the ground.
I dont think the locals worry too much about the permit access ground, they have their own patches. Its pretty much all SF leased out for grazing (which IS a very good thing)
Mike

About 8inches. No real system involved, just blade width pushes with a scallop out of the ground every few feet!
Pretty sure there is no EP in place, not even sure about the ML,s as I found 2 pulled datum posts.
Anyway, no point me worrying about it, you only detect gold by walking over it.
Mike

boobook said:
About 8inches. No real system involved, just blade width pushes with a scallop out of the ground every few feet!
Pretty sure there is no EP in place, not even sure about the ML,s as I found 2 pulled datum posts.
Anyway, no point me worrying about it, you only detect gold by walking over it.
Mike

Thanks for that Mike,, Lets hope you put the Coil of A Lump Next Time, Aye

john

Latest posts