Clermont Qld information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spent a couple of days up there, the camping ground is filling up fast.

A little bit was coming in with the guys that know the area well and also know what they are doing. I didn't find anything but I learn't a lot from the guys in the camp, great bunch of blokes and ladies.

It was very refreshing to see such a great bunch of people all enjoying their hobby and more than willing to share their knowledge with an outsider. It was much different to a couple of detector shops we called into on our travels where asking for even basic advice was like asking them to give up their first born even after spending some dollars.

We had a little play out there a few weeks back. Like anywhere new we had no idea where to start. We picked McDonald Flat as somewhere not too far out.

We've had a poor run lately. After the first afternoon Mrs M chose to spend her day cleaning and stacking bottles. I took the opportunity to have a crack at tuning the SDC because from day 1 it's been a pain in arse. I did multiple scans both with the coil flat on the ground and with it vertical to the ground. I settled it down enough to make it quite usable even though it was still a little chattery on the threshold. Within an hour I had our first little nugget for the year so we'll be back one day to try some of the other eight prospecting areas.

We needed to do some research first to see what areas had detectable gold. I never saw any deep diggings so I guess we were in the right area but once again without a little local guidance and research we were just hoping to get lucky.

Arrived at Clermont yesterday for the first time (cold and windy).

Lots of choice of areas to detect!

Unless you are in the know I guess you just pick an area and put in the time.

Spoke to one bloke, been here a month says he has a couple of grams!!!

Cheers

Qlden

Hi Qlden

My husband was born at Clermont his grandparents owned copper field hence donated the land where the old chimney stands, In saying this we go there and detect with no great favors only in the same general areas as every one else.

Last year we found a spot out there in the general area, not the best to get to but the top soil had been completely taken off and there is quartz piles every where I was going over these piles and got 2 little nuggets with my 4800 14inch coil about 8 inches in I reckon the SDC would be a real weapon in this spot its a massive area.

Problem is I need to ask hubby which one it was he wont be home until tonight so i will post it here, if your there for a couple of days it really would be worth going over.
Cheers Margaret

Hi, Kim_ Margaret, Iam headin out that way for 4 days. Is it ok if I swing a sdc over the area if ya post.
Thanks Polky.

Ok guys hope I can direct you to the spot you may have to do a bit of finding yourself the area is BOTTOM APSLEY when you look at the map go through the gate above the M on the information you need to make your way to the top follow dirt track dam will end up on your right staying inline with the M on the map follow straight up see gate its ok to go through the sharp left gate was down stick to that track you will see a gate on the right at top, turn left the quartz starts up in this area may be a bit further down, you will find lots of other tracks they are not on the map. You wont miss the spot Im talking about, the quartz is every where.piles of it it has been weather beaten and washed into gully's.

Good luck fellas . I reckon the SDC is the machine for this spot.

Oh you go for it Polky

Another thing when we have gone there we went through the first gate went right and followed boundry straight up some good ground in the middle on your left wasn't any good for the big coils tough going, its in this area you will see they took the top off

Cheers all
Margaret

Yep I've emailed map back to you and abit of info for western creek good luck. Might catch up in a fortnight we get there on the 1st western creek.
Margaret

Clermont the Dud.
In one of my earlier posts I mentioned I was going to have a bit to say about one of the places I visited while on holidays. I expect that my comments are going to raise some argument but so be it. There will be those who disagree with the comments but I'm sure there will be those who agree too. So here goes.

We had travelled through NT, to Qld and as we were going right past, I decided to call into CLERMONT for a swing. While there I met a number of other detectorists and there were those who had luck but many more who did not. [Machines ranged from Garrett to Minelabs and more.]
Those who manage the fossicking in the area have deemed it necessary for all fossickers to hold a current Qld Fossickers License, but you are not told that until you front up to the local detecting shop to pay your money, or to the caravan park where they too, can issue the local kit. [Contents: See below] I don't travel with printing facilities so there was the added hassles of trying to produce the License so it could be sighted by those who would issue my kit. [It begs the question, If there is all this red tape, who polices those who choose not to buy the kit and what are the penalties for not doing so, because there are those who don't buy the kit.

Just on the one day I visited Black Ridge, there were 2 guys who fronted up, read the sign and disappeared without having the paper work, to detect for about 4hrs. [I saw their cars as we left in another location, and they had plainly jumped a fence to detect in that spot.]

And the contents of the kit? Well that's another joke. In it, the kit contains 9 maps of all 9 areas that are deemed GPA's [General Permission Areas] where you can detect freely. What the kit doesn't tell you is that there are no signs of the Old Timers diggings left for you to try to read. In the years since their hard yakka, the ground has been shoved, scraped, dozed and brutalized in many ways so that any possible evidence of their work has been removed. [There's nothing left to read] Even as late as 2 weeks ago, one of the local landowners was on one of the GPA's[not his land] with his dozer, pushing stuff around.

So you might ask, Why the bitch? Well I went well out of my way, to visit this town. All up I travelled over 600 K's to and from, to be told I couldn't detect without my license. Then I was sold a bunch of crappy maps that were worthless for the everyday detectorist. Only the GPA's were deemed go zones, but there were heaps of State Forest areas that seemed out of bounds. Why?
To sum up, Clermont is a DUD, a worthless trip. Oh, it might have been great in years gone by, but today after the place has been cleaned up the only stuff left is small amounts of fly crap, as that local I mentioned called it.
So, if you are considering a detecting trip to this once great producing spot, then choose anywhere but Clermont, Qld.
There will be those who disagree with these comments, as I said earlier, because they were able to find some colour, indeed while we were there, rumours were rife of a 51g nugget found. I will say two things about that. Maybe the rumour was just that a rumour, and maybe the person who found some colour, actually had to jump a few fences to find it..........or he or she was just plain lucky.

Either way, I wont be going back to the Dud place called Clermont Qld.

Feel free to comment. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tassie Daz said:
Clermont the Dud.
In one of my earlier posts I mentioned I was going to have a bit to say about one of the places I visited while on holidays. I expect that my comments are going to raise some argument but so be it. There will be those who disagree with the comments but I'm sure there will be those who agree too. So here goes.

We had travelled through NT, to Qld and as we were going right past, I decided to call into CLERMONT for a swing. While there I met a number of other detectorists and there were those who had luck but many more who did not. [Machines ranged from Garrett to Minelabs and more.]
Those who manage the fossicking in the area have deemed it necessary for all fossickers to hold a current Qld Fossickers License, but you are not told that until you front up to the local detecting shop to pay your money, or to the caravan park where they too, can issue the local kit. [Contents: See below] I don't travel with printing facilities so there was the added hassles of trying to produce the License so it could be sighted by those who would issue my kit. [It begs the question, If there is all this red tape, who polices those who choose not to buy the kit and what are the penalties for not doing so, because there are those who don't buy the kit.

Just on the one day I visited Black Ridge, there were 2 guys who fronted up, read the sign and disappeared without having the paper work, to detect for about 4hrs. [I saw their cars as we left in another location, and they had plainly jumped a fence to detect in that spot.]

And the contents of the kit? Well that's another joke. In it, the kit contains 9 maps of all 9 areas that are deemed GPA's [General Permission Areas] where you can detect freely. What the kit doesn't tell you is that there are no signs of the Old Timers diggings left for you to try to read. In the years since their hard yakka, the ground has been shoved, scraped, dozed and brutalized in many ways so that any possible evidence of their work has been removed. [There's nothing left to read] Even as late as 2 weeks ago, one of the local landowners was on one of the GPA's[not his land] with his dozer, pushing stuff around.

So you might ask, Why the bitch? Well I went well out of my way, to visit this town. All up I travelled over 600 K's to and from, to be told I couldn't detect without my license. Then I was sold a bunch of crappy maps that were worthless for the everyday detectorist. Only the GPA's were deemed go zones, but there were heaps of State Forest areas that seemed out of bounds. Why?
To sum up, Clermont is a DUD, a worthless trip. Oh, it might have been great in years gone by, but today after the place has been cleaned up the only stuff left is small amounts of fly crap, as that local I mentioned called it.
So, if you are considering a detecting trip to this once great producing spot, then choose anywhere but Clermont, Qld.
There will be those who disagree with these comments, as I said earlier, because they were able to find some colour, indeed while we were there, rumours were rife of a 51g nugget found. I will say two things about that. Maybe the rumour was just that a rumour, and maybe the person who found some colour, actually had to jump a few fences to find it..........or he or she was just plain lucky.

Either way, I wont be going back to the Dud place called Clermont Qld.

Feel free to comment. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry to hear of your Troubles, If those old mines are Historic Places, why the Devil did some one go out and Trash the Place, Beats Me,
I understand your dismay, Time and costs etc just to be let down,

Cheer up Mate, tomorrows another Day,, john

He TD, a little research before you rocked up would have helped.
Clermont, according to my search, is still producing gold.
5 minutes on Google produced the map below.
I'm sure I could find overlays of the same info if I looked hard enough
GPA's were introduced many years ago.

1438576532_c3.jpg

John, the good thing is mate, that there are other places to go. We are back from our 13week trip to take a break, re-kit the van and head over to a state the embraces the Fossicking community. So Victoria, here I come. Qld, and in particular Clermont can go to blazes.

Redfin, I get what you are saying but the GPA's are just that, General permission areas. Anywhere else it is suggested you need permission, and as a casual visitor to the place, I don't have the contacts or where-with-all to access those who can give me that permission.
And the areas covered by that map, are they permissible areas, or do you have to jump fences? That's the issue!

Tassie Daz said:
John, the good thing is mate, that there are other places to go. We are back from our 13week trip to take a break, re-kit the van and head over to a state the embraces the Fossicking community. So Victoria, here I come. Qld, and in particular Clermont can go to blazes.

Sounds Like A Plan Daz, we have all had similar things happen and it does make you wild,

You do know they have a better Class of Nuggets In Victoria don't ya,

Good Luck mate, Charge them Batteries and Get stuck in,

John

Hi Lee, we were there for 5days and not so much as a whisper. I visited 5 of the 9 GPa's and to be fair didn't give the place a lot of time as we couldn't spend too much time there, but I was annoyed at the amount of destruction to the historical area done by heavy implements. Hell if that sort of destruction was done to the goldfields in Victoria, there'd be hell to pay.

I was there, or had contact with 4 other detectorists, and of all of us, I think there was only one tiny piece found, and that was only a fluke.

Daz you need to hold a Qld fossickers licence to fossick anywhere in Qld not just Clermont?
The GPA permit system is in place there as the 9 GPA's are accessible only under permission from the landholders of those 9 areas. The kit should have maps & a permit sticker to identify your vehicle. I would assume those that don't purchase the kit could be charged with trespassing & also Qld Mining Law as it a requirement of the Qld Government (DNRM). Those that "manage" this process are actually authorised agents to sell them for the DNRM.

https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/fossicking/central-gold/

That guy dozing may in fact actually own the land but allows its use as a GPA or part thereof?

Coming from SA you should have been aware of the possibility of restrictions as I believe it is the most restricted out of all states. Qld has laws, like all states, & as such many areas may be off limits. That's the way it is rightly or wrongly.
You may want to give NSW a wide berth.

I am heading their for a week on the 9th i will give a report when i get back of what it is like, i have all permits and are ready to find gold with lots of research done. not sure if i have the right detector for the job.

Small coils are dynamite around Clermont. I found 2 grams in a few days there running a 10x5" DD coil on the GPX4500. All bits were found sweeping in close to the scrub. To be specific it was in Mcmasters GPA and not where the dozers have been pushing. This GPA hasn't been open as long so had less attention to date. If I were there again I reckon I'd go for a smaller sadie coil and have fun getting in amongst the scrub. As for the Fossickers Kit they don't sell it at the caravan park and the detector shop isn't always open. If you drop in to the council office they'll sort you out. :)

Latest posts