Clermont Qld information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am Qld gold prospecting said:
I go to Clermont 4 times a year my little kia rio hatch gets into the GPAs easy try mcmaster's at the cattle grid

Which cattle grid are you talking about mate? I have never been there so was looking on maps and it shows two grids

Ian

thefitter said:
I go to Clermont 4 times a year my little kia rio hatch gets into the GPAs easy try mcmaster's at the cattle grid

Which cattle grid are you talking about mate? I have never been there so was looking on maps and it shows two grids

Ian
Therell probably be a queue forming there by now..... :lol:

thefitter said:

Ian
Main cattle grid mcmaster's
1637914998_20211109_160617.jpg

OzzieAu said:
thefitter said:

Ian
Therell probably be a queue forming there by now..... :lol:

I'm already there :drooling: :p

thefitter said:

Ian
Main cattle grid mcmaster's https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/22134/1637914998_20211109_160617.jpg

Still a bit lost mate ,never having been there

Ian

went for a look at mcmasters yesterday, only got as far as the dam, wasn't game to take the bongo van through the dam over flow so tried a few spots around there but no luck. That black soil is hard work when its wet.
Yeah Macca, 100mm is nothing for the bay, different story in clermont, if your'e going to be stuck somewhere at least get stuck where you can swing a detector.
Cheers,Chuggett.

Last day at Clermont and got a better look at mcmasters thanks to my neighbour at the caravan park who took me to one of his spots(4wd). Wet ground made it difficult, taking a few hours to find one lead shot and no colour but got to see some new spots. Not whinging though, locals telling me they haven't had good rain for 8 years. Good to see fat cows, green paddocks and full dams all the way. Definitely go back again. Thanks for the tips.
Cheers, Chuggett.

Hey chuggett if your on Facebook hunt me down on the Clermont gold finds page or search Send me a msg on there Ill help you find a bit of yellow around Clermont. Have you found any gold detecting yet? :cool: ??
My user name is my name mate cheers Clynt

Hey Clynt,
Didn't find any gold mate, I think the wet soil was making things difficult, not sure but as I'm new at detecting, seemed like I'd find a target only to have all of the soil coming out of the hole responding, changing coils and settings didn't seem to help. Was hard work on the last day finding a single piece of lead shot, the guy I was detecting with has been finding gold around the area but he only managed 2 pieces of lead also.
Does this point to salt in the soil? On my first day I found over 30 pieces of shot, some quite deep but after the rain (admittedly was a different spot) any target was hard to find even when very shallow.
Anyway it was a good learning experience with a new machine and new ground, if the rain eases off (doesn't look like it will) in the very near future I might sneak up for another look when the ground dries up.
Haven't got Facebook mate, got the shits up with it a few years ago and deleted it, might have to look at getting it again as it could be a valuable resource when travelling to new areas around the country next year, very generous offer to help me find colour Clynt, thanks.
Cheers,Chuggett.

Gday Chuggett,
When are you planning to be in Clermont next? I visit fairly regularly, live nearby and am happy to help you out.

Clermont is known for saturable ground and high conductivity (commonly known as salt, some areas you can see it as a white substance on the surface, especially after heavy rain) which youll be able to hear when you lift your machine off the ground up to about shoulder height (indicated by a deep woooo noise). Careful coil control and slow swing speed helps dissipate false signals given by the conductivity as well as groundbalancing often. Sometimes you have to knock the sensitivity back to help control signals given off by it aswell.

Unfortunately, the current wet weather will greatly hinder detecting and subsequent access to most GPAs in the Clermont area.

Any other help required, dont be scared to get in touch.
Cheers,
Sheppo

Thanks sheppo, next trip will be weather depending, thinking 2 or 3 weeks? In an ideal world I need rain in Hervey bay which shuts down my work and time to dry out in clermont.
Cheers,Chuggett.

Latest posts