Aldi detector hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's great for skimming parks Jaros, worth every cent of the $100 I paid for it. When I look at the junk bucket it sometimes amazes me what's not in there, hardly ever get a beer cap with it, though the old ringpulls and screw caps are the main junk it can't reject.

Remedial-detecting : I love the results. :cool: although you have got to be careful of those dog owners on heat Heath; you will need to get a bit of strength back to handle one of them.

To my mind our Aldi's are about 12 months old and yours has returned about 500% on the initial outlay. Great effort.

Based on those results, I reckon you are up for a trip over the mountain to chase a different sort of yellow. Good to see you back in action mate. :D

Jaros said:
When i tested out the discrimination on mine i was very surprised as to how good it was.

It's not bad hey, for a $100 detector I did not expect it to be that great but it sure does work.

Wally69 said:
Remedial-detecting : I love the results. :cool: although you have got to be careful of those dog owners on heat Heath; you will need to get a bit of strength back to handle one of them.

To my mind our Aldi's are about 12 months old and yours has returned about 500% on the initial outlay. Great effort.

Based on those results, I recon you are up for a trip over the mountain to chase a different sort of yellow. Good to see you back in action mate. :D

Yes you're right mate, those dog owners are quite friendly lol. 500% just in coins mate without the nice few bits of jewellery even coming into the equation. Will give you a call and see if you want to clean out the park with me when you get back from QLD, you can help fend off said dog owners, if there are 2 of us they may get confused. :D

Was talking to Shauno yesterday, are you keen to head West in early May for a swing? Back in action but still need to be a bit careful for a little longer and not over do it. Will give you a call about it. Best of luck for the Easter hunt mate hope you get that large one you've been dreaming of. :)

I think you will need to set yourself a challenge and clean it out while I'm away. :p

I hear May is a good month for catching gold, definitely keen to head west.

Same place as yesterday, thought I was onto something good when I saw Silver and a small flash of Gold, not to be though, some sort of horse badge thingo and a few more $$$. So many people wanting to chat at this spot, how can you not though when they are sooooo nice. :D

1427947433_20150402_145156.jpg

1427947449_20150402_145144.jpg

Wally69 said:
I think you will need to set yourself a challenge and clean it out while I'm away. :p

I hear May is a good month for catching gold, definitely keen to head west.

May is definitely Gold hunting season mate, cool let's organise it when you get back from hols, all the best.

Will give it a go but it's such a big area it's daunting.

An oval I was keen to try was full of Baseball players this arvo so had to resort to wandering 50m to the public school across from my place, had a 2hr hunt and was hoping for a few Silvers, have found some there in the past but not today. Kids certainly lose a lot of coins. :D I'll take it as a bit of compo from their parents parking across my driveway numerous times each year. Was only a 10m x 5m area, lots more grassed area to do there.

My coin container is getting pretty full too, maybe even enough in there to upgrade soon or go towards an upgrade.

1428820391_20150412_160515.jpg

I don't think that very pain ring is junk. I have seen one that looked like that on that road show tv show, it was a 1800,s ring that a farmers wife would have as they didn't have much money.

Shane3140 said:
I don't think that very pain ring is junk. I have seen one that looked like that on that road show tv show, it was a 1800,s ring that a farmers wife would have as they didn't have much money.

Shane, do you mean the one with the horse emblem? Or the one on the first page? The horse one is actually some type of horse saddle or bridal ornament, it has 2 thick pins on the back, I thought it was a brooch at first but the pins are pretty thick. Maybe a hat pin? It was a race horse training ground in the early 1940's.

The ring on page 1 does have a Pearl in it but I think it's low quality. I Could be wrong though.

Cheers for taking the time to reply.

1428880512_20150413_091140.jpg

Todays hunt results, hit the baseball oval I missed yesterday, arrrggh I knew there be treasure in that spot. Found $18.50 in cash and an interesting piece of Silver which weighs 6.9g, looks to be a homemade Silver pendant. It's definitely Silver, the specific gravity is about 10.6 allowing for a tiny error as my scales only do .1 increments it is spot on. Silver SG is between 10.3 and 10.6 depending on whether it's pure or Sterling.

The rust stain near the hole was from the cheap steel loop that was attached to it, will have to scrub it off.

1428900353_20150413_135925.jpg

1428900372_20150413_140116.jpg

1428900392_20150413_140127.jpg

Pretty average day back at the baseball field, managed to get $9.12. The Aldi was being a little temperamental today, not sure if it's ready to pack it in or it was the thick wet nasty mineralised clay under the topsoil. It's really nasty ground for recovering targets, it's actually adjacent to an old brick pit, the clay is as Red there as any in the Goldfields, surprised there is not actually Gold there.

It's having trouble detecting $1 coins but not $2 coins, weird problem but oh well, even if it does die it's been worth it. It's most likely the ground though. I find with new batteries it can act a bit funny until they run down slightly, could be that also.

I'm going to buy a CTX 3030 soon and start hitting the beaches again and some areas I've done with the Aldi in the past and see what I've missed.

Struck Gold of a different kind, met a bloke who owns a big property out past Gulgong and got an invite to detect there sometime soon, so the day was no loss at all, maybe a really lucky day.

The good
1428992513_20150414_151452.jpg

The bad and ugly all in one bucket........

1428992561_20150414_151432.jpg

Ramjet said:
Another good hunt. I don't think I have found that many 50 cent pieces all year.

Yeah there there were plenty for some reason Rod, I've never found so many before either, they sit in pockets better I think, the Goldies just spill out much easier I think, which is great. :D

I used to have trouble with the Ace 250 chattering on mineralised red clay with its fixed GB, no option but to drop the sensitivity back a bit for it to run stable. Will be interesting to see how much the Aldi missed going over the same spots with the CTX. :)

Goldpick said:
I used to have trouble with the Ace 250 chattering on mineralised red clay with its fixed GB, no option but to drop the sensitivity back a bit for it to run stable. Will be interesting to see how much the Aldi missed going over the same spots with the CTX. :)

Yeah I think you are right there GP, the clay was pretty wet too and the Aldi is hopeless in even wet grass from a heavy dew.

Not sure when I'll get the CTX, hopefully in about a month after a few bills are out of the way. It will be interesting, I think I've been missing quite a lot of good targets with it.

I was rubbing the coil on a sunbaker $1 coin I found today, it was just a short blip at first then nothing, not even a peep. I have found some $1 coins do that with the Aldi, interesting problem to say the least. Annoying problem though, I have very little confidence in it now but it still brings home some bacon.

Ramjet said:
CTX... just a slight step up from the Aldi. You'll clean up mate. :)

I've wanted one for ages Rod, am doing ok with Aldi but getting a little more serious about it now after seeing Dejan and Team Bogans finds. The Aldi has certainly put in a decent chunk of $$$ towards one.

Latest posts