Aldi detector hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Rod, have been giving it a good go over the last few months though, been getting out as often as possible. Hopefully the upgrade is worth it, hopefully can improve the finds with better discrimination and better depth.

Can see your detector being paid off in no time mate you've been going so well lately it's inevitible that you'll be into profit territory in no time.

A nice return for your investment Heatho. :cool: My decimal finds are lagging hugely this year after cutting back on both beach and tot lot detecting, though not short on 1c & 2c pieces. :|

That's the problem Heatho, too many pieces of equipment and not enough time or money!

Goldpick said:
A nice return for your investment Heatho. :cool: My decimal finds are lagging hugely this year after cutting back on both beach and tot lot detecting, though not short on 1c & 2c pieces. :|
Same here mate, plenty of 1c and 2c everywhere here too, people used to just toss em away I think. :) I'm going start hitting the beaches more when I upgrade, only thing is most of the coins are ruined if they have been there any length of time, hopefully more jewelry there though.

Heatho said:
Hamish said:
That's the problem Heatho, too many pieces of equipment and not enough time or money!

You said it mate, at the moment I have the time, money is the hard part, gotta start lobbying for a $10 coin then we'll be rolling in it. :)

I think you have got that sorted with your Florins. ;) they are worth about the $10 mark and you pull them out of the ground in pairs. :D

Wally69 said:
Heatho said:
Hamish said:

You said it mate, at the moment I have the time, money is the hard part, gotta start lobbying for a $10 coin then we'll be rolling in it. :)

I think you have got that sorted with your Florins. ;) they are worth about the $10 mark and you pull them out of the ground in pairs. :D

Hmmmm dunno why it works that way mate but it puts a smile on my dial.

Went for a quick 1 and bit hour hunt this arvo at the local baseball field, just where everyone sits down. Have flogged this spot several months ago and this is what came out again already, all shallow recent drops. It amazes me how quickly some spots replenish.

1435295565_20150626_150104.jpg

Heatho said:
Goldpick said:
Same here mate, plenty of 1c and 2c everywhere here too, people used to just toss em away I think. :) I'm going start hitting the beaches more when I upgrade, only thing is most of the coins are ruined if they have been there any length of time, hopefully more jewelry there though.

Beach detecting during the summer months for spendables is when I used to clean up regularly, plus I'd rotate on park tot lots to ensure a few drops had been made since last visit. Things have became a bit harder over the last two years, as every man and his dog seems to own a detector these days. Many are obviously only cherry picking the goldies, as they would always leave behind the lower denominations. :)

I though the 1936 penny was valuable? My old man always told me that...or was it the shilling. Does anyone know more about it.

Goldpick said:
Heatho said:
Goldpick said:

Beach detecting during the summer months for spendables is when I used to clean up regularly, plus I'd rotate on park tot lots to ensure a few drops had been made since last visit. Things have became a bit harder over the last two years, as every man and his dog seems to own a detector these days. Many are obviously only cherry picking the goldies, as they would always leave behind the lower denominations. :)

Sounds like me mate, I leave all the 5c and 10c coins, I just discrim them out. :)

Gotta leave something for future detectorists to find. Wonder how long this hobby can last, coins will be gone oneday. I am finding deep goldies, that are allready breaking-down in the dirt.

Yeah some of those deep ones can deteriorate, especially on the beaches, the salt hammers them, though even in parks ansd sportsfields the fertilizers can start eating the features away in no time. Yes I agree Rocket, hopefully they never get rid of cash coins, I know the establishment would love a cash free society..... As long as there are coins though people will lose them.

Had the best single day hunt ever today at $62.35, pretty stoked as I was just about to abandon the site after spending the first hour digging mostly junk, then hit a sweet spot which was a big line of coins on a hill which I had already detected last year and flogged, these were all shallow recent drops. Also got a 1952 penny and 1929 half penny.

A big step up from yesterdays $7 and 1951 penny.

Also got hassled for the first time ever yesterday, some lady had a go at me for making all the holes on an oval, was even still carrying on after I said it was rabbits digging the holes as detectorists don't leave rabbit crap around their holes and usually fill them in. I asked her if she was from the council and she said, errr ummm errr noooo. I told her I don't even dig holes but use a screwdriver and that she was a busybody and should mind her own business, also I said just because you are walking your dog does not mean it dug all the holes and left dog crap everywhere!

Boy was she agitated after that, lol. Said she was a rate payer and that I had made a mess of the oval, I said "I'm a rate payer also and I'll do what I please as I'm not making a mess and am not digging holes". Though she said "ll you people detecting dig up the oval looking for stuff and make a mess", I just shook my head and said "no not me lady, you can clearly see it is rabbits doing it". She would not believe it was rabbits and she was obviously deranged......

Though maybe others have detected there as there was a distinct lack of targets. Maybe others made a mess in the past but geez she have me the 3rd degree. I'm usually polite and was until accused of making a mess. She was only there for a minute before ripping into me. Grrrrr.

Found a junk bracelet yesterday too.

1435646131_20150629_125646.jpg

1435646131_20150630_160702.jpg

1435646131_20150630_160708.jpg

1435646131_20150630_163028.jpg

Great going mate. Did she get you before or after you had found the stash? Should have given her the trash bracelet and she might love detectorists forever!! :p :p
Jaros

Cheers Jaros. No this lady was hell bent on picking on me, I guess I just happened to be her target yesterday, not even a diamond ring would have stopped her being grumpy I reckon. Got me after the dodgy bracelet.

It was funny as there was another small group of people who stopped to chat and 1 of the ladies got down next to me to see me remove the penny and she was very nice, when the penny came out they were all gobsmacked and very happy to see it.

Different strokes of different folks I guess.

Latest posts