Aldi detector hunt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those florins look pretty damned good to me. ;) Same here with the two florin days, had that happen twice now since moving down south. Maybe other detectorist simply misidentify them as junk and simply move on?

Goldpick said:
Those florins look pretty damned good to me. ;) Same here with the two florin days, had that happen twice now since moving down south. Maybe other detectorist simply misidentify them as junk and simply move on?

They aren't too bad but have some nasty tarnish that won't come off, though from the first pic to the cleaned pic they look awesome. The aldi gives a solid high tone on sterling silver, Florins, pennies and 1c and 2c pieces, it's nearly always one of these when it gives that tone. Could be the case GP.

Score of the day Heatho, well done,... Hats off to you for that one. :)

silver said:
Score of the day Heatho, well done,... Hats off to you for that one. :)

Thanks Silver, may have even outdone that effort today, not sure yet though.

I found what I think is a spoon ring? It has Mappin & Webb stamped in it and has an "I" after the words Mappin Plate, I know it's only plated but I think it might be very old, from say the early or mid 1800's, it's very heavy at 18g, anyway pretty stoked with it. Only date mark that seems to fit is 1804, hopefully someone on here may be able to identify the date mark? Plus found 2 sixpence in the same hole, starting to get used to double silver holes. :D

1434950934_20150622_130300.jpg

1434950934_20150622_130312.jpg

1434950934_20150622_145303.jpg

1434950934_20150622_145347.jpg

1434950934_20150622_145434.jpg

1804 seems to be on the money regarding the "I" date stamp, seems to be a few cutlery rings floating around lately. I guess some people simply couldn't afford the real deal back in the day, though an interesting piece of history regarding home made jewellery. The 2 sixpence made up for the silver electroplate, nice one. :)

I tried the galvanic cleaning method today and it really works very well. Instructions are. Put a layer of foil in a non metalic bowl, put your silver coins on top put a couple of teaspoons of soda bi carb on top and pour in some boiling water from a kettle, allow to sit for a few minutes then just do a rub with bi carb paste as usual and they will look brand new. The 2 6p from today it worked very well, gave the ring a go with bi carb paste too and it looks new as well.

You could see where the coins had been on the foil, it looked very discoloured from the reaction.

1434955701_20150622_155023.jpg

1434955701_20150622_155603.jpg

1434955701_20150622_160912.jpg

1434955701_20150622_161210.jpg

Final result was this.
1434955744_20150622_162658.jpg

Also here is a Florin that I just could not clean at all, then tried the galvanic method and 5 mins later was pretty clean.

Went from this.
1434955837_20150622_162416.jpg

To this, though had a bit of a pink coulour to it from maybe the organic sap or plant material on it but will give it another go tomorrow. You may need to do 2-3 goes at the galvanic cleaning to get the coins clean but it beats just a rub with bi carb passte.
1434955858_20150622_164224.jpg

Goldpick said:
1804 seems to be on the money regarding the "I" date stamp, seems to be a few cutlery rings floating around lately. I guess some people simply couldn't afford the real deal back in the day, though an interesting piece of history regarding home made jewellery. The 2 sixpence made up for the silver electroplate, nice one. :)

Totally agree, quite a cool find even if plated, when I sawe plated my heart sank a little as it is very heavy, but yes the Silvers certainly made up for it mate.

Yeah I guess times were tough back then, may have been done during the depression? I guess times are still tough...... People made do with what they had back then though.

Cheers, yeah I'm liking it too, fits my pinky nicely, now just wondeing whether to modify it by sticking a few sapphires in it, lol. If it wasn't plated I definitely would, only need a jeweller to drill a few holes in it and stick the stones in.

That cleaning method rocks Rod, had doubts at first but it certainly works.

When I tried it I was using a metal saucepan, now I know why it didn't work Heatho,... love the ring mate, made out of pure unadulterated L O V E.

silver said:
When I tried it I was using a metal saucepan, now I know why it didn't work Heatho,... love the ring mate, made out of pure unadulterated L O V E.

Yeah mate, essential to use something non conductive, I just used a take away container. Might not work everytime but it's easy and worth a try.

I've been offline for a couple of days and have missed all the excitement. Great florin finds Heath :cool:

I'm surprised that is your first silver spoon ring, most of the kids around that way are born with one in their mouths. ;)

Cashed in my coins from the Aldi hunts over about the last um err not really sure how long, only really started regularly detecting with the Aldi at the start of the year I guess, there is a big gap from when I bought it to when I started regularly using it, anyways there was $682.20 plus a bunch of reject coins, maybe $15 in rejects. Thought I'd have more there but still happy with the results, still brought the tally up to $702 after todays $20 session. Plus the 3 gold rings and several silver rings and quite a few silver coins, the Aldi has done well.

Will certainly be getting a new detector soon, I know I've been saying it for ages now but the Aldi is still giving me joy, though the time has come and I think a CTX will be the one I'll get. Will hopefully improve my finds when I get it as I know the aldi misses some good stuff.

1435130680_20150624_170424.jpg

Latest posts