Windows 10

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh....linux was great for geeks that liked to hack in open source (both black and white hats) , be different, or a minority by OS standards!

It was mainly used by windows haters before Apple OSX arrived on the scene (which is Linux based but Apple made closed source)

Software just works with windows as do drivers and associated apps in a 'plug and play' environment.

You can run Win softs on Linux distributions if you have a windows emulator installed but it really slows the whole show down, so why would you?

At least thats what we did in the old days but i havent played with it for many years now.

Windows heaven......everything works with it because 95% of computers run it.

10 has the same basic binary code writes as all other versions from XP up, but just more bells and whistles (mainly in the networking department on the OSI layers).....whatever softs worked with your 7 and 8, will work with 10.

Storage is a more pertinent issue these days as software footprints (sizes) increase, and demand more of your hard drive space. especially the OS install drive.

But as Doug says....if it aint broke!!!!

Metamorphic said:
At least thats what we did in the old days but i havent played with it for many years now.

Metamorphic As for geeks I must be a old Geek at 63 :) as you say in your post quote above you havent played with it for year so I guess you need to jump over to ( http://www.linuxmint.com/ ) and have a look at what you are missing out on the only one thing that windows has over Linux for my is Photoshop as I'm to lazy to learn Gimp thats the only thing I can think of ;) ;) ;)

Cheers from the OLD GEEK LOL LOL

don't forget the viruses.. Windows has the virus market cornered.

just a note on the software compatibility thing. some apps have a windows version check before they will install or run, and may say this app isn't compatible with "that" windows. heres a good example. http://www.citect.schneider-electri...rt/Citect-Compatibility-Matrix-A5_Aug2013.pdf theres some programs that are pretty windows version specific.

and Mac is not based on linux but closed source - that would break the copyleft open source agreement.

linux has come a long way. Amazon AWS is based on linux. biggest cloud provider on the planet..

Both Mac OS X, the operating system used on Apple's desktop and notebook computers, and Linux are based on the Unix operating system, which was developed at Bell Labs in 1969 by Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson. The operating system used on Apple's iPhones, now called iOS, is derived from Mac OS X and therefore also a Unix variant.

no operating system is really better, the choice is up to you. If you're a gamer, then you have no choice, go for Windows. Programmers might prefer Linux and video/graphics producers will probably tend towards Mac. The best thing to do is probably to try each OS and see which is best for you!

cheers ;)

Big Nugget said:
Both Mac OS X, the operating system used on Apple's desktop and notebook computers, and Linux are based on the Unix operating system, which was developed at Bell Labs in 1969 by Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson. The operating system used on Apple's iPhones, now called iOS, is derived from Mac OS X and therefore also a Unix variant.

no operating system is really better, the choice is up to you. If you're a gamer, then you have no choice, go for Windows. Programmers might prefer Linux and video/graphics producers will probably tend towards Mac. The best thing to do is probably to try each OS and see which is best for you!

cheers ;)
Big Nugget I see at last someone with some BRAINS ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Tathradj said:
And what have I been hinting at. ???? :cool:
Oh, I am a Wndows Person. I have no Brains. LOL
Level 2 IT Services Engineer. :lol:

Did I say u had no BRAINs? Hmmmmm don't think So it was the post above Big Nuggets so is this Level 2 IT Services Engineer supposed to impress me I don't think so but it must mean something to you so that's GOOD

You may laugh on me but I still run XP on my two desktops and two laptops. Stared with Micro Bee and basic. Then first IBM PC. It run DOS 3.2 ? and from then I purchased every OS that Microsoft came up with, up to XP. By that time I got totally pissed off with how the icons, system files and almost everything is constantly changing. Operating system should be just that OS. Not something that you have to learn a new every time the new version comes out. Last year I have bought Xbox one for my kids. It is supposed to use Win 8 style menus. Well, if it did not cost 500 bucks I would get sledgehammer and smash the bloody thing to little pieces.
Tried Apple for short time and did not like it at all. It may be good for very intelligent people, but not for me.
Don't get me wrong, Microsoft come up with probably most logical OS in the age when everything is driven by lowest common denominator.
But until they come up with something more logical to use, I will stick wit XP.
Karl

Acebull said:
Tathradj said:

Did I say u had no BRAINs? Hmmmmm don't think So it was the post above Big Nuggets so is this Level 2 IT Services Engineer supposed to impress me I don't think so but it must mean something to you so that's GOOD

Mate dont come here to troll ,you wont last long...play nice please.

I thought this was Win10 thread?

look at post number 5.
Select " Media to upgrade another PC.
After going through the process and burning your DVD,
reboot the PC.
When your era at the desktop insert the DVD and click on Autorun setup.
You will be off line for about an hour.
PLEASE, If you are on wireless, Down load and store the driver for it.
At least at the same time do the same thing for your Ethernet as well.

Jaros said:
My Win10 has been downloading in the background for 2 days now--how long does it take to reach the update stage.??
Jaros :(

Mate old son.
I am being very friendly but you have rammed linux at us when I did state
"No OS Wars".
You seemed to have ignored that.
I am very highly aware of Linux and I love it to bits. It is very good at what it does but,
I am not attacking you in any way but mate, I appreciate and respect your opinion and like to see what folk's are up to.
Just tonight I have helped another forum member by phone and loved it.
That is the way I am.
Mods, Let this set for about an hour but please do not lock the thread.
Doug...
P.S. Lc76,,, Thank You.

Acebull said:
Tathradj said:

Clearly acebull is clueless.
I can understand taths pride in his job it takes a lot of learning and experience to get where he is. Probably hundreds of people derive their incomes from systems he keeps in the game.

Bagging like that is pretty poor form.

As for your comment on my post.. i couldnt give two rats azzes what you think. It was all correct.

Cheers.

Tathradj said:
Mate old son.
I am being very friendly but you have rammed linux at us when I did state
"No OS Wars".
You seemed to have ignored that.
I am very highly aware of Linux and I love it to bits. It is very good at what it does but,
I am not attacking you in any way but mate, I appreciate and respect your opinion and like to see what folk's are up to.
Just tonight I have helped another forum member by phone and loved it.
That is the way I am.
Mods, Let this set for about an hour but please do not lock the thread.
Doug...
P.S. Lc76,,, Thank You.

Acebull said:
Tathradj said:

Tathradj My old Mate All Sweet with me just that people need to know that there is a alternative to windows that is all I was getting at and you will find it hard to find a nicer and helpful person than Me the post is dead for my OK :/ :/ :/

No problem at all, :) :)
Please do not be offended in any way. That is the way we work around here.
A simple difference in opinion can get very out of hand and that is where diplomacy comes in.
That is what I have done.
I would really like to see you and have a beer around the campfire some time.
Not walk into a bloody poo fight about a bloody computer associated thingamig. LOL
I would be indeed a bit miffed if I did indeed upset some one and that is not the way I operate.
It's a good world out there my friend and there are a lot of good people out there.
Go have a beer and relax.
I am before I go to sleep. :lol:
(And that is another bad story. )))

diplomacy not really more like game up on the new Guy that has a different Opinion ;) ;) ;) But ( That is the way we work around here ) :cool: :cool:

Acebull,
No need to feel like a newbie around this forum.
All is welcome.
There is no game up. Just that you have quipped every one on Linux when this was a polite discussion on Win 10.
I like Linux, Also Apple also Android, God help me Unix. LOL
That is the way it is. every thing has it's place.
At the right time.
If you want, Start a revealing thread about Linux.
That way some one will start on Apple or the others.
No hard feelings . ?
Stay cool. :D

Acebull said:
diplomacy not really more like game up on the new Guy that has a different Opinion ;) ;) ;) But ( That is the way we work around here ) :cool: :cool:

Duog...settle mate... i know you and ya unarmed combat thingo.. :p settle down fellas.. i got Big ISSUES ... CAN'T GET GOOGLE EARTH TO START :mad: error 1603.... help Tarth.. 8.( i gotta have google earth for gods sake... my life is not worth going on for 8.( 8.( 8.( help.. i 've thought of every thing from A to Z...OH......... LONESOME ME! HEHE... I HATE COMPUTERS :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Latest posts