Windows 10

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm,
If you upgrade the Win 7 machine, It will should keep all the settings.
Good one is to create a USB stick with the Win 7 networking wizard before you upgrade it.
Have a fixed IP address on that machine, not within a DHCP range. Rest can run on DHCP.
I know, I went through that same thing myself.
Bit cheesed of about it at the time but when I worked it out. :D
I set the machines up side by side and went at it for 1/2 an hour to resolve it.
Hate walking backwards and forwards. :lol:
I always have 1 machine running XP for backwards compatibility as some of the procedures I run require it.
Also remember one big main rule.
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. :D

if you want to do windows 10, do it on another computer so you can cut across when you prove your plans good.

you can do great things when you have an easy back-out plan.

A format and clean install is the only way IMHO....upgrades over the top usually cause issues as they did in the past.

If you havent partitioned your hard drive with important data away from the OS (C partition) install, then its not a wise choice, unless you have great cloud storage and all is backed up there.

;)

Win 10 and 7 talk to each other beautifully over the home network on sep machines......even after an upgrade!

Metamorphic said:
A format and clean install is the only way IMHO....upgrades over the top usually cause issues as they did in the past.

If you havent partitioned your hard drive with important data away from the OS (C partition) install, then its not a wise choice, unless you have great cloud storage and all is backed up there.

;)

Win 10 and 7 talk to each other beautifully over the home network on sep machines......even after an upgrade!

Just bear in mind if you do a fresh install - upon activation (not free) $179

For IT gurus :In deed very chatty (call out features and sync) - I would suggest run it up in VM put a wire shark across it after you've tuned the privacy and see how much stuff is still being streamed to Microsoft. :)

joe said:

clean install is free if you do it right Joe.

something like this http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/31/9077997/microsoft-windows-10-clean-install-how-to-guide

cheers ;)

1438604321_untitled.jpg

Big Nugget said:
joe said:

clean install is free if you do it right Joe.

something like this http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/31/9077997/microsoft-windows-10-clean-install-how-to-guide

cheers ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3497/1438604321_untitled.jpg

True :) but for technically minded. Doing the upgrade first to obtain the product key then clean install wouldn't be for everyday joe or grandad. But you are correct

Well every bonifide version of Win 7 or 8 would suffice....yes?

Just run the 'setup.exe' from the image file ISO once mounted and select format....... bingo!

Please make sure your important data is partitioned away before doing so, and make sure you format the right partition. ;)

Have installed Win10.

All my Apps but one work without re-install.

I have IntelliCAD and it now requires reauthorisation codes. I went to their site to find out that I should have de-authorised with them first, installed Win 10 then I can get an re auth code.

I've notified them via message in the USA, still waiting on a reply, but it looks like it might cost me to get it, how much remains to be seen, but when you buy a license, it should be mine to install and re-install freely. Their support in the past has been woeful.

"Not happy Jan"

Never thought to check that one.....

Would love to know how they service someone who has a major OS crash and has to re image their puter, cos in that instance there's no warning.

The not being in control annoys the crap out of me, I only have 8.1 but even it is trying to take over. Each time we do an update bloody Onenote decides to make itself our default for the printer and other things , I have tried to uninstall onenote but it seems to be a part of the system. 8.1 is hard to get used to its only because I have a android smart phone that has a similar setup that I kept using 8.1.

I think I will wait before I go to windows 10 better the devil we know , we really are only 10 years off having our computers making all our decisions on what programs we use.

Well I upgraded one of the laptops at the workshop and it all seems to be working. There is a small compatibility issue with an old repair database that was written in MS Access that runs over the network. May have to import all the data into another format if I decide to do all the other machines.

I updated my laptop on Friday from w 8.1 to 10,no problems, so far I like it,easy to use and navigate. All the contacts and desktop icons for sites,as well as favourites folder transferred over without me doing anything.

Still haven't heard from IntelliCAD....

Also re the privacy post, I went into settings and turned just about everything off, I saw no use for. I don't use Cortina and sync with anything anyway. I don't use the "Cloud", I have plenty of storage (4+ TB with ext hard drives)

Wasn't impressed with Edge, so have gone back to IE, Chrome and Firefox type browsing.

Otherwise seems to work ok.

Biggest improvement is getting the Start menu back on left mouse......

Also when down loading an App, Choose to open it locally. Dont use your Mickysoft account.
struck that one when I down loaded the App to fix my printer issue.
Gee I hate advertising when you don't want it.

Latest posts