Windows 10

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got it yesterday ... and already it is having problems :mad:

Thingy comes up saying its going to add something and will take a few minutes ,,, then another thingy comes up saying it failed !!!! Has happened about 10 times so far .

Going back to 7 .

JeffP said:
Just got it yesterday ... and already it is having problems :mad:

Thingy comes up saying its going to add something and will take a few minutes ,,, then another thingy comes up saying it failed !!!! Has happened about 10 times so far .

Going back to 7 .

yeah, let everyone else cut themselves on that cutting edge of technology. really, whats the advantage of fighting win10? At least give the various hardware vendors a chance to release drivers for older hardware & win10 before upgrading.

I'll move from 7 when it becomes end of life, or maybe if my laptop dies. good ol' boringly predictable windows 7.

Haven't had an issue so far after upgrading to Win 10.
After some fidling with settings and shutting out "big brother" as much as possible it's running a little faster.... Especially file transfers, I must have been using wrong drivers in the past cause my transfer speed's between networked computers has almost doubled.

So far I'm happy with it.

G'Day If any of you would like to give Windows the boot then have a look at Linux Mint ( http://www.linuxmint.com/ ) its FREE it WORKS and you should be able to do all that you do on windows I have use it for 3 years now with out any major problems the only thing I use windows for is Photoshop as I am to lazy to learn Gimp it comes with lots of stuff like a full Office suit and Gimp and lots more and the Guys at mint lessen to its user and only put in what you want not like Microsoft and one more good thing I have not used any ant-virus and my main computer is on the net 24/7 if any one is interested and want to try it download the Linux mint Cinnamon 32 bit or 64 bit then all you need to is burn it to DVD or make a bootable USB stick and have a play with it Is every Bit as good as Windows

Cheers Ted

I have an older laptop, with some apps that don't work past the Vista OS. I had to end up buying a new laptop because Vista only supports up to IE9 and things started to not work, like uploading pics on this site.....

I use the new laptop for coms to the web, email etc. But the old Vista puter still works as do all the apps, all I have done with it is turn off Auto update (not that there are any more for Vista) and WiFi is off as well so it's totally standalone. As long as the electronics work it will. I have all the disks to reimage and reinstall all the apps.

It's all well and good for corporate entities to update OS and Apps, but the average home user can't keep spending $$$, especially if the update adds no real value.

There is absolutely no point in udgrading the Vista OS because the hardware, now 6-7 years old, won't have drivers available for everything if anything........

I guess my question hearing constant comments about Linux, is;

Will the apps I use on windows, (without listing them) work seemlessly on Linux? if not, how much would one have to spend on Linux apps to replace them.

Hi Condor22 not knowing what apps you use I can't answer but nearly ever thing for Linux is free and it work quite good on old laptops and it puts all the driver it needs to work

Cheers ;)

Windows apps don't run on Linux. The linux versions of the apps are free. As in free beer. But there will be a learning curve. I think mint has a Bootable cd so you can try before you go ahead

Same old rule,
"If it ain't broke, Don't fix it.
If it does what you want why bother.
Also if it ran Vista, It will run WIN7.
There is a fair bit of material ported from Linux to windows but if it written for Linux, It won't run on Windows.
What Brand is the Laptop mate. ??
Condor22
I have an older laptop, with some apps that don't work past the Vista OS. I had to end up buying a new laptop because Vista only supports up to IE9 and things started to not work, like uploading pics on this site.....

I use the new laptop for coms to the web, email etc. But the old Vista puter still works as do all the apps, all I have done with it is turn off Auto update (not that there are any more for Vista) and WiFi is off as well so it's totally standalone. As long as the electronics work it will. I have all the disks to reimage and reinstall all the apps.

It's all well and good for corporate entities to update OS and Apps, but the average home user can't keep spending $$$, especially if the update adds no real value.

There is absolutely no point in udgrading the Vista OS because the hardware, now 6-7 years old, won't have drivers available for everything if anything........

I guess my question hearing constant comments about Linux, is;

Will the apps I use on windows, (without listing them) work seemlessly on Linux? if not, how much would one have to spend on Linux apps to replace them.

The new one is a Toshiba Satelite, the old one is a HP Pavillion.

Both have 4GB RAM, the HP was a salary sacrifice top of the range at the time.

So are there any links to Linux stuff guys?

and

Do they do CAD software in the ilk of AutoCAD on Linux? That would be a stopping point for me.

As what has been discussed above.
DrDuck and Bazza2210 both recommended Linux Mint in person to me but I have not had a chance to survey the situation yet but will. :D
For a Starter, Ubuntu by far to me as a user friendly OS is one I quite frequent.
AS For CAD Packages,
This one sticks out like the proverbial.
Try it on Windows first before you migrate to Liinux,
http://librecad.org/cms/home.html
Let me know how to go mate.
As in response to your very well written heater install. :D :D :D

condor22 said:
The new one is a Toshiba Satelite, the old one is a HP Pavillion.

Both have 4GB RAM, the HP was a salary sacrifice top of the range at the time.

So are there any links to Linux stuff guys?

and

Do they do CAD software in the ilk of AutoCAD on Linux? That would be a stopping point for me.

QCAD is up there with AutoCAD link for it is ( http://www.qcad.org/en/ ) Linux Mint link is ( http://www.linuxmint.com/ ) Just a little point of interested all Android stuff and all Apple stuff run under Linux ;) ;) give it a go you will never look BACK Linux Mint is the most used Linux in the world more than Ubuntu

Cheers ;) ;)

Big Nugget said:
Acebull said:
one more good thing I have not used any ant-virus and my main computer is on the net 24/7

Cheers Ted

Linux is a great os I agree.

but don't get sucked in by the hype that it is immune from viruses.

http://www.neowin.net/news/a-history-of-viruses-on-linux

cheers ;)

Lets not forget stuff like Equation Drug, DoubleFantasy, TripleFantasy, Fanny, Grayfish etc.
And I'm not talking about movies here :D

But you only need to worry if you are a "High value target" ..lol

http://www.kaspersky.com/about/news/virus/2015/Equation-Group-The-Crown-Creator-of-Cyber-Espionage

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/17/kaspersky_labs_equation_group/

I discovered several things browsing around Win 10;

There were several areas I could not opt out of and a couple that if I did, Windows would turn them back on, not my idea of privacy......

That I could revert back to Windows 8.1, but I have only 30 days to make that decision, after which I'm stuck with 10.....

Still no reply from IntelliCAD, their service sucks.......

So, I bit the bullet, reverted back to Win 8.1, which appears fairly straight forward and took about 15 minutes.

Guess what, my IntelliCAD license came back as it was, so no need for another CAD system or the learning curve of how to use.

My conclusion, WIN 10 adds SFA value to the average home user, even though it's the first time MS have issued a FREE OS, I can only comment that they were probably embarrassed to charge for it.........

Given the number and type of Applications I use and the cost of the software, the best way of opting out of the expense "merry go round" is keep what works and when the communication type stuff slows or stops, get a cheap puter to maintain coms and take the one with the Apps offline and keep using it............

I have WIN 8 at present and whilst I can use "moving maps" in Ozi-Ex and I can send Waypoints to my Garmin GPS, I can't send waypoints from the GPS to Ozi-Ex.

Frankly, Win 8 was a disaster for me.

Thanks

30min Updated

1 issue was software for my keyboard, but just redownloaded and all sweet.

After update, do a Windows update, it picks up all the drivers missing.

Very impressed...

Latest posts