NSW Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RM Outback said:
LoneWolf said:
There are now 124 Fires raging in NSW after Lightning Strikes from storms a few days ago... Now a new line of Storms have started today, things are getting worse...

LW...

Not good :| I hope they get the rain that's needed.

No its not RM, there were 75 fires Before these first Storms and now the poor buggars have 124... Their workload has doubled, and with the storms today that swept through NSW, there will be more tomorrow... :/

These Fire fighters must be sooo tired...

LW....

sand surfer said:
not sure if i should have started a new thread or not ,but a big thank you to the fireries for the quick response to the fire at sharon qld yesturday ,it started about 1 km from my place , i have no way of staying to protect, as my dam is empty,so as we were preparing to leave the noise of the 4 choppers and 2 fixed winged water bombers flying over my house was weirdly calming ,after 3 hours of water bombing they drowned the fire,i stand and :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: .I do have fire fighting expreience,as i was 1 of the many volly fireries on the ground in the ash wedensday fires ,so i knew a empty dam there was no choice but to leave,so if you get a watch and act warning for your area please pack and get ready to go ,when told to leave please leave, and remember that person standing at your door is putting their life on the line by staying back to ask you to leave, so don't argue the point just go as you are making a bad situation worse

Best advise that you can give. I have 20 years worth of volunteer bushfire fighting experience so I can say this very confidently if you are going to leave go early because it is to late to go once the fire is on your door step. You cant out run it. That brings me to my next point. You can do your part by helping us vollies out by having your property prepared for bushfires. Clean your gutters, no wood piles up near the house. That kind of thing. Trust me when I say this its not a nice feeling when you have to mark the drive way of a property with spray paint as not defendable. The big question I always ask my friends before every summer is do you have your fire plan ready? So do You? If not I urge you to get one done ASAP

Top advice Shaker... If I lived Rural, I would have spent the past 6 months preparing... I know some on here are well prepared... :Y:

LW...

Safety in numbers Jaros... :) Now the 'Cub' has left the Den for over 9mths now, I do admit things are very quiet here... But man, she used some power.. :)

LW...

The picture says it all really. Pease stay safe if you are in the region
1576668253_screenshot_20191218-192036_facebook.jpg

We are in an area a bit further south of the above picture, we have a fire to the north which is advice level, Comberton Grange, one to the south a fair way away, Currowan, but with the predicted southerly wind change is getting closer and now a new one to the west, Tianjarra, which could turn into something very bad, but the information is very sketchy, it seems like we only get more up to date information when things are really bad. For us getting information to help in what we do, nothing has changed since the fires in 2001, we had very little information then and it seems to be the same now. We have had the water bombers flying over all day yesterday, seemed like low enough to take the tops out of the trees, I bet they are not looking down at a mobile while they are flying.

As I am using a laptop I do not seem to be able to access photos like the one above, all the apps I have looked at seem to be for mobile phones and do not seem to contain the information we need. I tried to find information on being able to listen to the the RFS on radio, but from what I could see it is illegal for me to have even a receiver on the frequencies that they use, the local radio station is more interested in running ads than information, the ABC is better but covers a huge area so our local fires are not normally mentioned, so it is more a matter of wait until the smoke is very thick and we start to see bits of leaves and ash falling and then we know we are shortly to be impacted. We will be ready.

We hoped that the information on the fires near me would have been kept up to date a bit more as yesterday the Comberton Grange fire was not updated from 11.55am until this morning. I am not being critical of the fires fighters, just feel that with all the technology available now more information would be available a bit quicker.

Graham

Smack dub in middle of both of those fires on shakergt's image, in Richmond. Lucky we are pretty safe because it's a big town without much bush, smoke is bad here though.

2lateagain said:
We are in an area a bit further south of the above picture, we have a fire to the north which is advice level, Comberton Grange, one to the south a fair way away, Currowan, but with the predicted southerly wind change is getting closer and now a new one to the west, Tianjarra, which could turn into something very bad, but the information is very sketchy, it seems like we only get more up to date information when things are really bad. For us getting information to help in what we do, nothing has changed since the fires in 2001, we had very little information then and it seems to be the same now. We have had the water bombers flying over all day yesterday, seemed like low enough to take the tops out of the trees, I bet they are not looking down at a mobile while they are flying.

As I am using a laptop I do not seem to be able to access photos like the one above, all the apps I have looked at seem to be for mobile phones and do not seem to contain the information we need. I tried to find information on being able to listen to the the RFS on radio, but from what I could see it is illegal for me to have even a receiver on the frequencies that they use, the local radio station is more interested in running ads than information, the ABC is better but covers a huge area so our local fires are not normally mentioned, so it is more a matter of wait until the smoke is very thick and we start to see bits of leaves and ash falling and then we know we are shortly to be impacted. We will be ready.

Graham

Hi Graham,
Under the Telecommunications (Interception) Act 1979 Sect 6 it is legal for you listen to a radio receiver but it is illegal for you to tell anyone what you heard.

These are the frequencies for the RFS https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=1030
Do a Ctrl+F to search for Shoalhaven (might be a little hard to find the exact Shoalhaven unit closest to you) or any other area you are interested in.

Here is an online scanner that you can listen to.
https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/24950/web
If you go back to the home page https://www.broadcastify.com you can then find other localities of interest.

So have had last 3 hours of setting up pumps and hoses and watch and wait as the Tianjarra fire got very bad very quickly and that was the one that was going to impact us, the southerly change has gone through and moved the smoke to the north west of us, it is in inaccessible area so will burn for a long time unless there is rain, the southerly was not very strong which is good and the air is starting to clear, still a lot of ash and burnt leaves falling so it looks like someone will have sleep with one eye open most of the night, but for the moment we can relax a bit. All over the area pumps can be heard being checked.

Whisp, thanks for that will look into it.

Graham

Ken, it must have been a bit hairy at work today, from reports it was getting very close to the Highway. :awful: :awful: We have a 5000 gallon tank being delivered tomorrow morning so hope the roads do not have to close overnight, winds are light so hopefully they can get on top of the Tianjarra fire, not going to be good Christmas for the holiday makers in this area.

Graham

It was fine at work just a lot of falling ash
If the tank is coming from south it might not but it might clear overnight we hope
Hope i still have somewhere to work tomorrow :8 :8
The main thing was getting the LPG tanks out of cars and into a safe area if there is such a place :lol: :lol:
If you need help just ring mate i will come down

The Currowan and Tianjara Fires are now listed at a Watch and Act level after being at an Emergency level for most of the day.

The Rural Fire Service says the immediate threat has now eased.

The Princes Highway is now open, however there is a reduced speed limit in some sections

The Currowan blaze is being controlled and has now burnt out more than 105,000 hectares and the Tianjara blaze which is out of control has destroyed almost 2500 hectares.

The out of control is in an area they cant get into