NSW Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
❗Anyone around the Hill End NSW area or considering heading that way.

Major Fire Updates​

EMERGENCY WARNING: Alpha Road Fire, Tambaroora (Mid-Western LGA ) – Seek Shelter Tambaroora area. 2023-03-06 13:30​

Posted: 2023-03-06 13:30
An emergency warning is in place for a fire burning in the vicinity of Pyramul Creek, south west of Mudgee. The fire is spreading towards Tambaroora.
Current Situation
  • The fire is burning north of Alpha Road near Pyramul Creek, and is spreading towards Alpha Road.
  • The fire is burning in a southerly direction towards Alpha Road. The fire is not under control.
  • Firefighters and aircraft are working in the area.
What you need to do
  • If you are in the area of Alpha Road, Hill End Road, Ullamulla Road and Tambaroora, seek shelter as the fire approaches. It is too late to leave.
  • Go inside and protect yourself from the fire front. Actively monitor the situation.
  • A safer location may include a well cleared area nearby.
  • If you planned to visit the area, or live in the area but are away from home, do not return.
  • If you are in the Hill End area, monitor conditions in case the situation changes.
  • This means looking out for burning embers, changes in wind direction and smoke. Watch for signs of fire in your area.
  • Know what you will do if the fire impacts on where you are. Identify a safer location in case the situation changes. This may include a well cleared area or a solid structure such as a home.
  • If you are not prepared to the highest level, leaving early is the safest option.
If you are threatened by fire
  • If the fire impacts, seek shelter in a solid structure such as a house to protect yourself from the heat of the fire.
  • Shelter in a room on the other side of the building from the approaching fire, and one that has water and a clear exit out of the house.
  • Close all doors and windows and turn off air conditioners, keep water running if possible.
  • Monitor both inside and outside for small fires and burning embers.
  • Be careful outdoors after the fire has passed as trees can be unstable and fall.
  • If your life is at risk, call Triple Zero (000).
Other Information
  • Stay up to date on bush fires in your area by checking Hazards Near Me, the NSW RFS website, listening to your local radio station, or by calling the NSW RFS Bush Fire Information Line on 1800 679 737.
  • If you have a respiratory condition and may be affected by smoke, activate your health management plan and seek medical advice if necessary. Take precautions, such as staying indoors and closing windows.
  • For information on road closures, check Live Traffic NSW.
  • Monitor weather conditions and weather warnings at Bureau of Meteorology.

⚠️🚨 ROAD CLOSURES - MONDAY 6 March 2.10PM ⚠️🔥

The following roads have been closed due to bushfire threat. Strictly no traffic or resident access permitted.

🚧🚧CLOSED LOCAL ROADS 🚧🚧

⚠️Hill End Road (closed at Triamble Road intersection)

🚨 Stay up to date with local road closures and emergency information at www.midwestern.nsw.gov.au/disaster-dashboard
Mudgee/Hargraves to Hill End Rd now closed on the Hill End side of Hargraves.

Update:
The Alpha Rd, Tambaroora fire was downgraded this morning to Watch & Act. This looked positive but unfortunately this afternoon it was put back into an Emergency Alert.
Yesterday they were reporting over 2000ha had been burnt. At 9pm tonight they are reporting it is 4574ha & they are estimating it will be at least several days before it is contained.
There are reports filtering through of some lost sheds etc. but it looks like the bush firies have saved the houses in the area so far 👍.
Screenshot_20230307-211417_Hazards Near Me NSW.jpg

Wishing everyone involved a safe and positive outcome. I checked it out with the report advising 2k hectares. For it to exceed double the size in the time frame you mentioned paints a pretty ordinary picture 🥴

I don't recall winds in autumn like this before, obviously causing problems with this fire spreading at the rate it has.

Wishing everyone involved a safe and positive outcome. I checked it out with the report advising 2k hectares. For it to exceed double the size in the time frame you mentioned paints a pretty ordinary picture 🥴

I don't recall winds in autumn like this before, obviously causing problems with this fire spreading at the rate it has.
Yep it's been hot here + windy.
No surprise the wind picked up yesterday afternoon in tandem with the fire.
You can see the rapid spread from davgolds post above 6/3/23 267ha & this morning 8/3/23 5024ha:
Screenshot_20230308-082455_Hazards Near Me NSW.jpg

I haven't said anything on here in regards to travelling to the area, as I believe our members are diligent enough to realise that any plans to visit the area over the next week or so at least need to be canned.
I've seen on other prospecting/fossicking social media people asking if they can still access Hill End, Sofala, the Bridle Track etc. 🙄 Please just stay away for now.

Update on local roads:
⚠️🚨 ROAD CLOSURES - WEDNESDAY 8 MARCH 11.45am ⚠️🔥
The following roads have been closed due to bushfire threat. Strictly no traffic or resident access permitted.
🚧🚧CLOSED LOCAL ROADS 🚧🚧
⚠️Hill End Road (closed at Triamble Road intersection)
⚠️Pyramul Road (closed South of Windeyer Village)

🚧🚧RESIDENTS ACCESS ONLY🚧🚧
Aarons Pass at the intersection of Aarons Pass and Bocoble Road

🚨 Stay up to date with local road closures and emergency information at www.midwestern.nsw.gov.au/disaster-dashboard

From NSW NPWS (dates/times pending further review):
Applies from Tue 7 Mar 2023, 7.30am to Mon 13 Mar 2023, 8.00am. Last reviewed: Tue 7 Mar 2023, 7.39am.

Closed parks: Park closed due to bushfire​

Hill End Historic Site is closed due to bushfire. Do not enter the site. Penalties apply for non-compliance.

This fire is called Alpha Rd. For more information, contact the local NPWS office or visit the Rural Fire Service website.

yes, it's nearly 12500ha in size now and has crosses the Pyramul Sallys Falt and Windeyer road as well now going by the map

View attachment 8384
Yep it's crossed Windeyer/Pyramul to Sally's Flat Rd & Dougherty's Junction Rd today.
Wind picked up again this afternoon & they are expecting it to remain into tonight. Sounds like the RFS are in for a tough night.

Not good 😐 hopefully they get a reprieve from the wind and make some inroads for containing the perimeter sooner than later. Just another anomaly of the unseasonable weather. Sadly too the detriment of those who live in the location it's a tough situation dealing with it and the recovery process.

My mate in Glengarry tells me it was looking very bad at the time of the above article, but constant work by firies on the ground and water-bombing aircraft, combined with the wind dropping off, prevented the firefront sweeping right through the Glengarry/Grawin area on Wednesday evening.

It was a close-run thing, with the firefront only a couple of kilometres away and he'd heard that half a dozen or so of the more distant lease camps were burnt out and lost everything. Unfortunately, the severe thunderstorms that likely started the blaze didn't go away, so the danger level still remained high on Thursday evening when we spoke.

Latest posts