NSW Bushfire advice and information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching one of the fires on the news tonight and the speed it was traveling was incredible. It looks like we're in for a rough summer guys so please take extreme care while out in the sticks.

All the best to those effected by the recent fires.

Nugget.

Hopefully having the fires this early in the season will reduce a lot of the fuel laying around before it gets really hot ** but its heartbreaking to hear that people have lost their homes

Any tips on what to carry when in the bush in case we get caught out? One of those silver reflective covers would be good to have in the kit. Are there any portable masks that can really help? One thing we could all do as prospectors is make sure to pick up any bottles we see lying around the bush as I believe that they can start fires if the sun hits them right. Is there any truth to that or....?

AuSearch said:
Any tips on what to carry when in the bush in case we get caught out? One of those silver reflective covers would be good to have in the kit. Are there any portable masks that can really help? One thing we could all do as prospectors is make sure to pick up any bottles we see lying around the bush as I believe that they can start fires if the sun hits them right. Is there any truth to that or....?

Whilst it technically IS possible, there is about as much serious risk from a bottle as there is from a spark jumping after kicking a rock... The situation would have to be 100% perfect in order for a fire to start. There are plenty of good reasons to collect trash whilst out prospecting, but bottles posing a fire risk are pretty low on the scale

Hi All,

these fires are to the North West of me, at one stage from my roof could see the flames, we have had burning embers for about two hours until the wind changed to the South East. The area the fire started is hobby farms some 10-50ha mostly horses and other live stock but a lot of cars were burnt out too. It is now 10.20pm and there is still a red glow and the fire is six times bigger than the initial one which started some time around 9.30-10.00am.

A real blow because there was some real old colonial homes out there I was going to run the detector over after hunting the owner down and getting the ok in writting, all gone now and roped off for demolition. :(

Re bushfires. The RFS did have training for being caught out in the bush and needing shelter from an advancing fire front maybe ask your local group?

Bob.

I am a Firefighter with FRNSW

In the bush the greatest risk is dry lighting strikes......especially when humidity is low and temp is high.
Its called the cross over when temp is higher than the humidity is. Eg. Temp = 39 humidity = 20
Add the wind and this is fire storm weather.

The other way around temp = 20 humidity = 39+ not a real lot is going to burn

Good idea is to stay out of the bush in these conditions.

Arcing power lines are the next worst scenario........rising temp 42 plus cause the power lines to sag (increase in length due to expansion) high winds causing them to touch together.
Large arcing will cause them to break and hit the ground....not an issue unless you get within 8 metres of them.
It's the sparks that they produce that is the problem.

Large bird striking power lines causing them to arch killing the bird and then catching fire before hitting the ground is another major cause of unknown fire ignitions.

And last but not least humans.
Camp fire left unattended.
Arson attack
Dropped butts........... not a major fire starter....CSIRO tried to test this theory with 21,000 butts.......only started 212 fires. In various sceniero's.....no reasonable conclusion was found.
Still I would not test this theory.

Impossible to start a fire with a bottle in the bush unless that bottle is held in the hand whilst tracking the suns movement.
Even a magnifying glass will not start a fire if it is stationary.

Bottom line
Don't light a fire just because you always light a fire when camping if weather conditions are not favourable.
If you need to have a fire in summer.......put it in a well constructed fire pit......never leave it ......have a 2 metre area clear around the fire......enough Water to extinguish it at short notice beside the fire.

The same laws apply in the bush as in the city.......on a total fire ban day......no lighting of fires even for cooking purposes.
Commercial gas BBQ'S in an enclosed area with a clear 2 metre area surrounding it is ok.

Special note.
A lot of people lost a lot of friends and there houses in the last couple of years to bush fires.
So discretion is a very big issue.
These people get very depressed when they see a fire on a very hot day in the open.
Hope this helps.
Thesmithy

Great info there Smithy. Thanks gor the insight from a trained pro.. heres to hoping that the grub arsonists stsy at home this summer

AuSearch said:
Any tips on what to carry when in the bush in case we get caught out? One of those silver reflective covers would be good to have in the kit. Are there any portable masks that can really help?

Hey again Ausearch, was at training yesterday with the rfs and posed that question to the group, turns out those emergency space blankets are highly flammable so as a protection thing they are completely useless if you are concerned about keeping something in your kit in case of a bush fire they said your best bet is to carry one of those emergency fire blankets, they're cheap and you can get them from woolies.
In a situation where you can see that a fire is heading your way your best option is to high tail it to a nearby open area away from any trees or long grass, get down low, cover yourself with the fire blanket and pray. HOPEFULLY though no one here ever has to face a situation like that.
Stay safe everyone!

Hi
Was planning on heading to gulgong tomorrow. Hopefully , I usually go by bells line of road ( as I ride a bike there) from sydney, seems the is a lot of fires there so was wondering if anybody from up that way could fill me in on the situation .
I know some people on the forum are up that way. Just wondering if the road is closed , or could be..
Any info would be good:)
Thanks
Barney

Thanks ramjet
I was looking at that before, but couldnt find road closures . Was hoping someone could give me local info. My mate at gulgong didnt even know there was much fires! He's been busy... Lol. Lithgow and other areas could be a problem for me too...
Oh well , hope I don't have to go via wollombi... Nice ride anyway ... But six hours.
Need to get there , run the high banker at the spot we found that holds .

Oh another thing.. Your local ABC radio is the official emergency broadcaster.
They talk to the authorities constantly and have very up to date info.
Also look at smart fine apps. Fires near me. Live traffic NSW.
You can follow most on twitter. Very useful.

Dosnt look good! Might have too go the long way....might be alright in the morning , winds backing off..
Thanks ramjet

How do you carry a Highbanker, and a detector and wife on a bike? Im gonna have to build a special rack for mine!

Peter

Latest posts