Night detecting with the Teknetics G2

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome Goldpick.

Very nice finds.

I believe that ring was a tad too big for whoever was
Wearing it and one way to fix it was by adding material
so it gets pushed up against the finger.

You have some interesting sites.

could still be a bit of finger ? But most likely leather, good to see it's all going great guns for you.

I think if I can remember from my youth - a guy "going steady" with a girl would give her a ring of his to wear - and of course the bloke has bigger fingers than the girl - who would wrap yarn/cotton around the band to make it fit her finger without falling off - which I guess since you found it - it didn't work permanently! Nice ring and nice finds GP! What did the rubber ball ring up as? 8)

That was a culmination of visiting 3 sites, first one was an absolute dog, second was a grassed area by the sea, and last was a park with some old trees.

The button, ring and penny were all found around tree roots, the penny was actually under a large root.

The material on the ring is like a fine red cotton that has been wrapped around the ring base to fill it out.

I trod on the superball and nearly ended up flat on my back, I forgot how much those things bounce, unlike myself. :D

After getting all the padding off the ring, it turns out to be only electroplated, with a hallmark of 90 - the base is most likely brass. Nevermind, still a nice ring to add to the collection. :)

1409737490_img_20140903_191407.jpg

It was a pretty nippy tonight, so I rugged up and took the G2 for a run in the hills looking for anything interesting. Apart from the usual goldies and brown buggars, I picked up two roo pennies, one being from 1952, and the other was so toasted I couldn't even read the date - literally started crumbling in my hands. Also picked up a couple of silvers, a 1927 threepence, and a 1943 threepence, both found looking in the more unusual places like creek bank edges, and old steps. The large ring is a gold plated copper earing of sorts, along with a few other odds and ends (toaster internals??). :)

I previously had emi issues with the explorer here, even after frequency scan, no such issues with the G2, purred along just fine. Just about all my junk targets were screw caps, and there were lots of them, being concentrated in a such small area.

1409858287_img_20140905_041422.jpg

1409858313_img_20140905_041444.jpg

Hi all, got this 1876 3d the other day while out gold prospecting with the GPX5000. I had just dug out a lead slug and was about to move on but swung the coil over the hole again & the detector told me in no uncertain terms that there was something else there. Digging down 10cm on the edge of the hole revealed this little beauty.
1409868519_rps20140905_080747.jpg
1409868590_rps20140905_080916.jpg

Nice silvers there Goldpick and Fox, looks like you both had fun recently.

Tonight I targeted a park that caused all sorts of trouble with the explorer, heaps of emi, and despite noise cancel and manual frequency selection, it was just unusable there. Setting up the G2 with a good amount of discrimination and mid setting on the sensitivity side of things managed to tame the emi to a usable level, but it was evident that junk was in abundance. Not to be deterred, I got a few brown buggers, a junker silver plate/enamel ring, and a mower chewed 50 years of Commonwealth Australia medal (1901-1951), which was a nice surprise. :)

1410622724_img_20140914_005755.jpg

1410622745_img_20140914_005824.jpg

1410622773_img_20140914_005850.jpg

treasureman said:
What a lovely machine. This was in my list of options. Looks similar to the at gold

The G2 has dual processors a bigger screen and
Is super fast among iron and is great at unmasking goodies
Among iron. For around $850 imported you can get the g2,
Grey ghost headphones, detector bag and lesche digger
All new delivered to your door.

Gold detectors though can be a nuisance to use in trashy
parks unless all you Want to dig is high tones.

The variable breakpoint discrimination allows you to set the G2 to fully blank out on iron, give low tones for most low conductors, and high tones for high conductors. So you are not stuck with digging just high tones, with most coins and some high conductor junk targets like aluminium screw caps as high tones, and discriminate out, or get low tones for all of the other crap that you usually dig (will discriminate out some gold jewellery and lower value coins though).

I don't think I would like to try it in all-metal on the really bad areas, there would be simply too many targets to be worthwhile. Though if most of the surface junk had been cleaned out, it would be worthwhile having a check for some deeper targets not heard in discrimination mode. :)

Well done Goldpick.
What a coincidence my brother also found one of these medallions today but his was in very good condition.

Tonight I detected an old house site that I had been eyeing off for a while now, which has since been converted into council land. As per usual, mobs of junk everywhere, a few decimal coins, and old Lesney Matchbox car, and a 1957 sixpence to top it off. The site probably warrants a more thorough detect, as rain cut short tonights efforts. :)

1410808261_img_20140916_043411.jpg

1410808284_img_20140916_043430.jpg

1410808308_img_20140916_043450.jpg

Nice finds.
So your not interested in iron? Ive thought about just using disc 1 mode and cancelling out iron. To focus on more important digs. Thanks for the tip goldpick

I was a little intrigued about your comment expressing surprise at picking up the English thrip. It being 92.5% silver will ring up at about the same as a one dollar coin, so it hass a pretty high conductivity.

However, post 45 Aussie threepences often come up with the same sound conductivity as a pull tabl or 20 cent piece. I have dug heaps of them where people havent bothered to dig thinking it would be junk! Ian

You are correct regarding the higher silver content 3p being able to be picked up by the G2, it just surprised me, as all had on hand for previously checking the discrimimation levels were post 45 ones, which were all discriminated out or part low tone at that setting. That was actually my first 92.5% silver 3p, followed by the 1943 and 1927 ones over the next week or so.

I had done some air tests on the 3p previously to see where it would cut out, and as you mention, you get rid of pull tabs, and you also miss out on most 3p, 20c and borderline on 50c, so essentially I was half expecting not to pick up on any threepence.p.

I have found though with the G2, that like many detectors, the accuracy of the discrimination falls away considerably at depth, so I am not discounting losing some of these smaller targets running such high discrimination. For example, the other night I checked a solid repeatable low tone, and was surprised to find it was actually a $1 coin, albeit a deeper one than usual. So you can see that some coins can actually move through the discrimination range, depending on depth and size of the coin.

It also shows how discrimination is not very accurate when items fall out of the effective range of the detector, and how air tests to see where items discriminate out don't really represent how the detector reacts to targets in the ground.

The Explorer is a different matter, it still seems to pick up well on high conductors at depth, but the VDI's may jump around by a digit or two. I usually use the explorer with an open screen with next to no discrimination. :)

Had a quick detect around the extremities of an oval last night, mainly looking near tree bases. Not too many targets presented themselves aside from a few coins, plus a pretty old looking lead paperweight - looks like a tigers paw or similar. The ground was pretty quiet, with literally no screw caps to be found thankfully. :)

1411193440_img_20140920_123634.jpg

1411193462_img_20140920_123704.jpg

1411193683_img_20140920_154616.jpg

Headed off to a park tonight that gives the explorer a fit, thanks to real bad EMI, so back to the G2. Picked up lots of junk, including the dope pipe, random bits of copper & brass, spout off a tea pot, and an old english razor head. I was starting to think I was going home with no pre-decs for the night, until I decided to detect up a very steep embankment. First hit was a shallow 1955 sixpence, then a bent 1960 sixpence, followed by a 1950 half penny only a few metres away. Pity one of the 6p was bent, it is actually in better condition than the straight one. :|

The decimal coins were all from a tot lot nearby. :)

1414608912_img_20141030_052405.jpg

1414608936_img_20141030_052454.jpg

1414608965_img_20141030_052522.jpg

Latest posts