XP Deus - First outing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Goldpick said:
Tonight I took the Deus to the pre-decimal honey hole I had been systematically working with the Etrac, hopefully with a few left over to see how it fared on the same ground. The results were pretty good, with absolutely no issue on hitting the deeper coins, though seems I did miss a couple of smaller silvers previously, mainly threepences. Most of the hp's/pennies came from a new section of ground further down from area previously detected, also with a 50th Anniversary Anzac badge, 1970 Holy Bible pin, silver ring and large button picked along a pathway in my travels. Another couple of foreign coins from the Netherlands were found, probably missed from the spill I had previously, the kitchen sink drain was thrown in for giggles.

One area I had to run on 17.8kHz, as the Deus started picking up a fair bit of emi from a nearby power source on the lower frequencies, though I also had a fair bit of trouble with the Etrac chattering away here as well, so not unique to the Deus.

All up, extremely happy how the Deus ran, pretty hard to fault it so far. :)

LOTS of junk to deal with, the Deus did well to pick up coins from amongst this.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1441395449_img_20150905_043847.jpg

18 Pre-decimals all up, 1922, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1953 3p
1928, 1947, 1948, 1953, 1957 pennies
1933, 1936, 1938, 1943, 1946, 1951 x2, 1954 hp's
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1441395527_img_20150905_044522.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1441395819_img_20150905_044550.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1441395842_img_20150905_044642.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1441395864_img_20150905_044719.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1695/1441395892_img_20150905_044759.jpg

Some nice pre-decs there???
They always put a smile on my face even grotty old pennies?
EM

Pirate pete said:
HI don't know anything about the Deus but looks interesting only thing I was wondering was can you get other coils for it or can you only use the dd?

You can also get a 9" & 13" DDcoil, and next year a small eliptical DD coil will be released with a new software update. Yes the detector and coils are expensive, though when put it into perspective, every free update means you essentially get a new improved detector with added capabilities. So no need to buy a new detector from a manufacturer every couple of years with drip fed improvements. :)

Sandta said:
AtomRat said:
I'm trying to figure out the S tag thing?
Funky lighter :D
Awww poor thrip has a cut

Looks like it could be a money clip...

Not sure what it is, solid brass and spring loaded on the rear - maybe a switch/contact?

1448439788_img_20151125_185556.jpg

Goldpick, with Christmas coming up and a couple of presents to buy, what's your take on the Go Find?
C

ColinD said:
Goldpick, with Christmas coming up and a couple of presents to buy, what's your take on the Go Find?
C

Sorry I didn't see your post sooner Colin, been up to other things lately.

The Go-Finds are good starters for the kids, cheap, pretty simple to use and setup, and should be fine for locating shallower coinage in parks, or for low junk areas like the beach. I would look at the 40 or 60 due to the included pinpointing feature, extra discrimination options and backlit screen.

I could imagine this Go-Find 20 would be a bit frustrating to use without the pinpoint feature, especially if you do not want the kids digging holes all over the place. They also don't get huge depth, probably around 6", 7" if you are lucky - not that you would want kids digging 10" holes in parks. The square concentric coil can be a pain to pinpoint with when compared with the traditional round concentric coils, there are some you tube tutorials available explaining where the sweet spot is for narrowing down a target location if having issues.

The lower shaft and arm rest are fully adjustable for the kids, though the plastic parts don't come across as the most sturdy setup when compared to your typical detector.

When taken at face value, they are cheap for what you get (auto ground balance, backlit screen), though just have to keep in mind they were never intended to be targeted towards the older crowd. and are built to a price. :)

I haven't been out much lately, my last detect was yesterday at a club token hunt which was a first for me, and great fun. Did pretty good on the goldies (and keys), though probably should have been looking for tokens instead - just couldn't help myself. :D Still had a few tokens missing after the event, and managed to locate lucky number 13 after most had gone home. Ended up with ome of the winning tokens and a NSW Doug Stone Gold Atlas for my efforts.

Also had one small detect to test a location prior to the token hunt, though it was a bit of a bust, with only a 1963 & 1950 penny, and a modern CFS pin. Better luck next time. :)

1449999559_img_20151213_193332.jpg

1449999636_img_20151213_193348.jpg

1449999714_img_20151213_201624.jpg

Handy book be nice if that gold came with it :D, this has been one hell of a long first outing with the deus :lol: :p

I did look at changing the title, though didn't have much success in doing so. Guess I'm still on my first outing, albeit a long one. :D

Tonight I did a quick run to satisfy my curiousity on a couple of spots, though with the ground being very dry, I was really only limited to targets within the few top inches - not worth making a mess.

Both areas were laden with bottle caps, 40 to be exact for a couple of hours of detecting. Find of the night was a very worn 1913 Florin, with a couple of pennies rounding off the pre-decs (1947, 1964). This will probably be the last dirt hunt for the year due to ground conditions, meanwhile I will be looking to get back into some beach detecting over the summer break. :)

1450618170_img_20151220_235352.jpg

1450618192_img_20151220_235415.jpg

1450618212_img_20151220_235430.jpg

Nice GP, I dont mind hitting the beaches easy digging but i don't find as much as in parks :)

I hand mine in at the police station(bullets),.... first time I did it the lady at the desk recons" just throw it in the bin",.... she ended up taking it and writing down all the details and all like it was some big job to have to do,.... now they just take them(only the live ones) and don't take any details at all as they know they come out of the ground(they could just throw them in the bin then "ha" ), I think they have to get rid of them properly once they take them, as it would be really bad for a waste facility worker to be harmed by live munitions getting crushed and set off near them(or even far away from them). :( :D

I don't know how sealed ammo is..but soaking in water is the way to diffuse / make safe most gunpowder devices. As long as your not using live ammo for a make do fuse for your cars headlights, you should be fine ;)

I missed you day b4, love the book win? and key grab haha so was this a contest / competition day? Sounds interesting.. I'd love more info if u have some. Our gem club could probably sort out some event like that next year

1913 florins a rippa nicely worn. What would you do with the mega rusted penny..just out of interest so I know what to do with mine. Cleaning with acids tends to reveal a horrible pitted and un recognisable coin..

As Ramjet mentioned, they are just expended 7.62mm blanks used by the local Army Reserve in their SLR's. They can be readily found all over the place in Mount Gambier, pity the primer caps give off such a sweet tone. :)

Latest posts