XP Deus - First outing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
I have been rather anxious about not having a detect for while now ( car at crash repairers), so the opportunity arose for a detect with our local detecting club at a country oval. The oval is no longer in use, though still has lots of modern junk all over the place to deal with. A couple of the guys managed a shilling, though the older stuff was pretty thin on the ground, mostly modern coinage was found. From memory we had 2 ctx3030's, an AT Pro, Fisher F75, Minelab Sovereign, Minelab Quattro, and a Minelab 705 on today's trip, quite a variation. :eek:

Most of my coins were found around a couple of large trees, with other areas producing nothing more than a bag full of junk - mainly pull tabs and bottle caps, drum bungs, you name it.

My best find of the day was a junior colts football medal, though not overly old, still something different. The Deus hits nicely on goldies, good solid but mellow tones vs the bottle caps which are quite sharp and abrupt signals. I mainly went off tones as some of the deeper targets do not register an ID, whilst still offering a good tone, though shallow to mid depth TID's seem fine. The Deus definitely has better target separation than the Etrac, even with the 11" coil fitted, though that was expected, hence why it was purchased. If relying on TID's for deeper targets, I think I would prefer the Etrac at this stage, and with the ferrous/conductivity readings providing more detailed target info than the Deus two digit TID reading.

Ground balancing is very easy, you have the choice of manual, tracking or pumping (similar to ground grab), of which I used the latter before starting off.

The Deus is extremely light to swing, and virtually fatigue free, and the batteries still indicated full charge at the end of the session, so no issues there. I ran with the backphones for a while which are also extremely light and give good clear audio, barely noticed I was even wearing them. Afterwards I ran with just the control box audio, no issues there either, with very clear and loud audio with the stock volume setting, though not as hellishly loud as the Fisher F75 working near me. :D

I ran in both 12 & 18 kHz swapping between the Basic 1 program and Deus Fast program, with a noticeable difference in sensitivity on the many smaller non ferrous targets on 18. 12kHz tends to chop out a lot of the unwanted small non-ferrous targets, and was a bit more susceptible to EMI from nearby power lines, though was probably my preferred coin program over the two. Using 5 tones gave a good spread across the conductivity range to separate out one target from the next, and only a small amount of iron discrimination was utilised as per the stock program settings.

Other than using 5 tones, I haven't touched the expert settings as yet, at least not till I get some more detecting time under my belt. Just as with the Etrac, you can easily detect on the stock programs for coins without having to delve into complicated settings to do so, will be leaving those for another day.

Am liking what I have experienced so far, though really do miss not having those two sets of TID numbers as on the Etrac, nevertheless, on the upside the recovery speed is pretty awesome. Both are fine detectors, as always there are pros and cons, depending on where you are using them and what you are targeting. My line of thinking is that they compliment each other - Deus primarily for junk/iron, and Etrac for deep targets on relatively clean open ground.

1440319128_img_20150823_163208.jpg

First coin on the Deus - a BB as usual. :p
1440317388_img_20150823_163137.jpg

One of the two CTX3030's used on the day.
1440317463_img_20150823_163249.jpg

Nothing exciting, though early days on the Deus.
1440317532_img_20150823_163401.jpg

Footy medal
1440317559_img_20150823_163059.jpg

Starship Enterprise :lol:
1440318327_img_20150823_175635.jpg

That is a very nice write up there mate. :D
Well done. :) :)
I think a lot of the members have been curious about this machine including myself.
It all depends on what you want to do with a detector but what I am seeing there is a light, functional machine.
You found a BB. :eek:
Main thing is it looks as if you had a good day out. :cool:

I would love a deus, but thinking a secondhand etrac first. Not much chance of buying a secondhand deus in australia for awhile. Look forward to your posts :)

3030 vs dues vs f75 = one empty sports feild I would think.
Would love to have been there to see the day play out.
Had to laugh at the comment on the f75 they are loud run mine through headphones resting on shoulders 90% of time except in high traffic areas, drive you nuts listening to out straight out of the speaker for more than 3 mins.
Great write up mate, I will stay tuned to hear your ongoing thoughts and successes with it. There's always interest in the dues as a potential purchase so having you set it through the challenges will definitely be welcomed.

Goldtarget said:
3030 vs dues vs f75 = one empty sports feild I would think.
Would love to have been there to see the day play out.
Had to laugh at the comment on the f75 they are loud run mine through headphones resting on shoulders 90% of time except in high traffic areas, drive you nuts listening to out straight out of the speaker for more than 3 mins.
Great write up mate, I will stay tuned to hear your ongoing thoughts and successes with it. There's always interest in the dues as a potential purchase so having you set it through the challenges will definitely be welcomed.

It was pretty funny, none of the members were wearing headphones and hence all you could hear was detectors going off in pinpoint mode all over the place, reckon I could hear the F75 across the other side of the oval (bot like my G2). :D Forgot there was also an Ace 250 there as well, and a yellow Gold Snoop detector which never made it out of the car. The member who owns the GoldSnoop swears by it, and has successfully used it on many competition hunts and won a few detectors as a result. :)

On another note, as you run with the lower frequencies on the Deus, the TID's will drop off on each successive change in frequency, which used to be an issue in identifying targets with a common TID. Although I haven't tried it yet, with the current software you can chose to have the TID's adjusted so that they read the same, regardless of frequency used. This should help if you want to check the same target using a different frequency to see how the response differs. The factory set programs are very easy to change on the fly, simple case of pressing the +/- buttons to instantly change the programs and frequency.

One thing that did surprise me was regarding the screen size on the very small control box. Despite being very small, I found it very clear & easy to read, even with the protective silicone cover fitted. It is certainly a well engineered piece of kit, a lot of though has gone into it. :)

Today I headed back to the old site where I found a few 1875 & 1806 pre-decs, mainly to give the Deus a run over the same ground that the Etrac had formerly been over. It seems that I didn't miss any pre-decimal coins, though I did miss a few buttons and the odd decimal coin, possibly due to masking of sorts from other junk in the ground. As with the last detect with the Deus, many of the deeper targets did not register a TID, and the audio was also tended to be a bit weaker than the Etrac on the same target/depth.

I can see why using discrimination based on the TID's is not preferable on this detector, in fact it may prove quite unreliable on anything other than relatively shallow targets with TID's dropping off quickly at depth, eventually to the point of no reading at all. As it states in the manual, the preferred method is to use tone based discrimination considering the audio is much more reliable.

Whilst some more adjustment will required to improve response on the deeper coin sized targets, at this stage I still prefer the Etrac for detecting for those high conductors at depth. Though the Deus does a great job at mopping up masked targets, and should prove better than the Etrac on micro jewellery and gold items.

So to sum up:

Deus - more suited to junk/iron areas, shallow to mid depth targets, biased/sensitive to low conductor/small targets, and needs to be properly ground balanced to ensure optimum performance on deeper targets.

Etrac - more preferable to deep targets in relatively clean ground, more reliable TID's hence the more preferable detector to use discrimination with, biased towards high conductor targets, doesn't actively require ground balancing as with VLF's. :)

Junk!
1440773442_img_20150829_001939.jpg

1440773473_img_20150829_002028.jpg

1440773495_img_20150829_002109.jpg

1440773530_img_20150829_002141.jpg

1440773564_img_20150829_002217.jpg

1440773584_img_20150829_002243.jpg

Nice report GP. Hey have you tried Ferrous/Coin setting on the etrac yet? With the CTX I open up the program edit section so if I get a real iffy semi masked target I just have to press the 1 edit button and quickly switch into Ferrous/Coin from the High Trash setting to usually reveal what is being masked if it's iron causing it to be masked, I've found quite a few good targets using this method. Doing this plus keeping it in "fast" really makes a difference to how a good target can be revealed.

Ferrous/Coin says in the manual that a coin type target will be what is detected no matter if a larger ferrous target is on top of or near the good coin like target. In this mode it will show both targets on the TID screen. :) Been switching between these 2 modes quite a bit. When trying a new spot I use an open screen for a few mins just to get an idea of how much ferrous junk is in the ground, if there is a lot I'll generally stick with Ferrous/coin and then put the discrim back on so the ferrous crud doesn't drive me mad.

Heatho said:
Nice report GP. Hey have you tried Ferrous/Coin setting on the etrac yet? With the CTX I open up the program edit section so if I get a real iffy semi masked target I just have to press the 1 edit button and quickly switch into Ferrous/Coin from the High Trash setting to usually reveal what is being masked if it's iron causing it to be masked, I've found quite a few good targets using this method. Doing this plus keeping it in "fast" really makes a difference to how a good target can be revealed.

Ferrous/Coin says in the manual that a coin type target will be what is detected no matter if a larger ferrous target is on top of or near the good coin like target. In this mode it will show both targets on the TID screen. :) Been switching between these 2 modes quite a bit. When trying a new spot I use an open screen for a few mins just to get an idea of how much ferrous junk is in the ground, if there is a lot I'll generally stick with Ferrous/coin and then put the discrim back on so the ferrous crud doesn't drive me mad.

I did read as such, a have pretty much run with the high trash/fast settings from day one. My smaller SEF coil helps out in such situations, so I wouldn't discount using a smaller coil with the CTX to assist in picking out non-ferrous targets around iron if it were an issue. As with the Explorer, ferrous tones are preferable in such areas, as it assigns the high conductive iron with low tones - much easier on the ear. Probably should have taken out the smaller SEF coil yesterday, though the intention was to run with both 11" coils as a fairer comparison.

Do keep in mind that this was purely an "out of the box" comparison with minimal tweaking of settings on the factory programs (mainly no. of tones used and use of different GB methods). So should be able to improve the depth penetration of the Deus utilising the lower frequencies, and playing around with the silencer, reactivity, audio response etc. Considering the Deus was originally built with the intention of being a tone based detector, there are more suitable detectors out there if wanting to use ID figures to assist in target identification.

What would be interesting is to see the Makro Racer and Deus run over the same ground/targets, similar performance for a lot less $$$? :)

Went back to the same spot yet again for a quick try out of a few different settings, to hopefully improve response on deeper targets over what was used during the previous detect..

One thing I do really like on the Deus is the ability to switch frequencies on the fly, this gives you the ability to test the target response over the four available frequencies. For this round of detecting I switched to 7.8kHz in the"Basic 2" stock program, and customised the setting to hopefully hit harder on the high conductors and try and improve on depth.

The audio response was adjusted up to 4 to give a bit of a boost response on deeper targets (similar to volume gain on the etrac), tx power was left on stock setting of 2, silencer on 1 ( not much iron in the ground, and too higher setting will cause the detector to miss smaller coins), reactivity on 1 (lower recovery speed for open ground, low junk density & improved depth), and sensitivity increased to 90. These changes made a marked difference to the response on deeper targets, in fact quite an impressive difference. Despite reducing reactivity to 1, recovery time over multiple targets was still very fast, and even with the silencer set at 1, there was minimal background chatter.

No doubt these settings will not suit all sites that I detect, will just have to have a play around on the day to see what works best.

When I get the chance, I will get some more definitive depth figures for the above settings on some buried silvers, just to give a better idea of the how the Deus now performs. Will also run the Etrac for a comparison.

As for the battery performance, three hunts later the coil still has a third charge, and the control box is sitting on half full. I haven't been using the headphones, as the control box volume is amply loud enough to run without them.

One particular target I had today was a clump of led shot about 5 - 6", thought I was going nuts when I had trouble pinpointing the target, and eventually realised there was loose shot all through the plug & hole. :eek:

Other than the 1922 3p and cool gold gilded button with shank still intact, most other targets were the usual assortment of old cartridges and shotgun shells. As for the large spoon, that used to be silver plated, though an unusual shape. :)

1440941990_img_20150830_225336.jpg

1440942018_img_20150830_215608.jpg

1440942039_img_20150830_215434.jpg

1440942068_img_20150830_215501.jpg

Good stuff GP, getting that shot certainly shows it's a very sensitive detector, makes me wonder if the CTX/Etrac will get stuff that small. Once you know the Deus better it will be interesting to see what type of performance you can wring out of it.

That shot was found probably in its least sensitive combination of settings, so yes, it is very sensitive to small targets especially in 17.8kHz - as you would expect.

Tonight I took the Deus to the pre-decimal honey hole I had been systematically working with the Etrac, hopefully with a few left over to see how it fared on the same ground. The results were pretty good, with absolutely no issue on hitting the deeper coins, though seems I did miss a couple of smaller silvers previously, mainly threepences. Most of the hp's/pennies came from a new section of ground further down from area previously detected, also with a 50th Anniversary Anzac badge, 1970 Holy Bible pin, silver ring and large button picked along a pathway in my travels. Another couple of foreign coins from the Netherlands were found, probably missed from the spill I had previously, the kitchen sink drain was thrown in for giggles.

One area I had to run on 17.8kHz, as the Deus started picking up a fair bit of emi from a nearby power source on the lower frequencies, though I also had a fair bit of trouble with the Etrac chattering away here as well, so not unique to the Deus.

All up, extremely happy how the Deus ran, pretty hard to fault it so far. :)

LOTS of junk to deal with, the Deus did well to pick up coins from amongst this.
1441395449_img_20150905_043847.jpg

18 Pre-decimals all up, 1922, 1942, 1943, 1944, 1953 3p
1928, 1947, 1948, 1953, 1957 pennies
1933, 1936, 1938, 1943, 1946, 1951 x2, 1954 hp's
1441395527_img_20150905_044522.jpg

1441395819_img_20150905_044550.jpg

1441395842_img_20150905_044642.jpg

1441395864_img_20150905_044719.jpg

1441395892_img_20150905_044759.jpg

Heatho said:
Great session there GP, well done, sounds like the Deus is a bit more sensitive on the smaller coins than the etrac.

Probably more to do with some masking and the EMI experienced on the Etrac, it usually hits pretty good on the small silvers. Noise cancel wouldn't calm it down, and with the Deus running a lot quieter, it allowed me to pick up on some of the smaller targets that were previously missed.

Used to have the same issue in Adelaide running the Explorer near underground power or transformer boxes, requiring the use of a single frequency VLF to get around the EMI (usually the Teknetics G2 back then). Doesn't happen that often, though when it does neither noise cancel nor manually selecting a channel makes much of a difference. :)

Goldpick said:
Heatho said:
Great session there GP, well done, sounds like the Deus is a bit more sensitive on the smaller coins than the etrac.

Probably more to do with some masking and the EMI experienced on the Etrac, it usually hits pretty good on the small silvers. Noise cancel wouldn't calm it down, and with the Deus running a lot quieter, it allowed me to pick up on some of the smaller targets that were previously missed.

Used to have the same issue in Adelaide running the Explorer near underground power or transformer boxes, requiring the use of a single frequency VLF to get around the EMI (usually the Teknetics G2 back then). Doesn't happen that often, though when it does neither noise cancel nor manually selecting a channel makes much of a difference. :)

Ahhh I think you just explained to me why my Aldi actually handles some sites better than my CTX, power cables in the ground really mess with the CTX, I've had a couple of sites like this where the Aldi ran great and the CTX stuggles. Aldi's single fequency might help with that

Quote: "Doesn't happen that often, though when it does neither noise cancel nor manually selecting a channel makes much of a difference."

Yep, noticed that with the CTX.

Latest posts