Night detecting with the Teknetics G2

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THE '60 3d must have been a drop when it was near new. the soil was kinder to it than the '55. a good mix of finds there. it is odd that I have only found a penny or a halfpenny with decs. I found the pre decs by themselves, no moderns. even odder is that I hunted an area with the Teso the week before, for only decs. I went back and found only pre- decs - 5- with the SOV. they were in sandy soil,only 3-4 inches deep. I thought I had covered the area fairly well with the Teso. which is supposed to be a winner for silver, but did'nt see the 2 x shillings and the 3d. I had actually gone back there to see if I missed any decs. weird. :p

For a change of scenery, I took took the G2 down for run over the beach before the rain hits, plus also a good excuse to go for a stroll.

Didn't expect too much, and was pretty much right. A few spendables, a junk ring, a cool little car, and tons of bottle caps. :)

1418145660_img_20141210_034500.jpg

Still,..there was the thrill of the hunt(with battery money),...and every kid that looks at this post is goana be saying," Didn't expect much,... Lightning Mcqueen ,...that's the best hunt eveer ".

treasureman said:
wow mate your still; producing the goods!

Yes, it's a ripper of a little detector for the beach, works well on both dry and wet sand, and very lightweight. Probably prefer it over the explorer if I am not looking for deeper targets in the wet, plus much more sensitive on smaller targets like jewellery/chains etc. :)

What a bugger of a night, went down to the beach initially, but some storms brewed up flinging lightning all over the place leaving me with just a $1 & a 10c coin. Not to be deterred, I headed off away from the incoming storms, and had another go at a good park that I had been hitting lately.

Overall I was pretty happy for a bit over an hours detecting before the rain eventually caught up with me, lots of BB's, some goldies, a 1952 penny, and a 1960 sixpence (with a small scratch !!##!!).

Had a small spill of BB's, a single 2c and another 2c with a 1c taped to the back of it from the same hole. :)

1418492200_img_20141214_035109.jpg

1418492222_img_20141214_035126.jpg

1418492246_img_20141214_035148.jpg

1418492269_img_20141214_040635.jpg

That'd be a 1&2c Minnie hoard you got there GP,....love the 50&60(at least the scratch on the 60 is old,...whew,hey).

One way to find gold with the teknetice g2 turn machine on set it to 12 o'clock then with the right arrow set it up to 60. Takes all metal out except for gold so it will only find gold. Cheers

lucky streak said:
One way to find gold with the teknetice g2 turn machine on set it to 12 o'clock then with the right arrow set it up to 60. Takes all metal out except for gold so it will only find gold. Cheers

I don't think that is correct somehow, at that setting you will be missing lots of gold. I think you will find most small nuggets will actually fall in the 40-55 vdi range, with some larger ones up to 70.

With the G2 set at discrimination setting of 60, you will still pick up all sorts of metal, including pull tabs, ring pulls, bottle caps, screw caps, aluminium, lead, copper, brass, silver.

Moral of the story is if prospecting, run in all metal and dig everything is the only way to be sure.

If searching for gold rings in discrimination mode, you will need to dig pull tabs and possibly some foil targets, depending on the size of the ring. I have seen a few listings showing some small gold rings come up between 38-55, and larger rings up to the 72 mark, but the VDI's can also vary depending on how deep they are.

My heart wasn't really in it tonight, very few finds, and ended up pulling the pin pretty early on. The only notable find was a WW2 Army button made by K.G. Luke, Melbourne, thankfully with the shank still intact. :)

1418837107_img_20141218_034518.jpg

1418837128_img_20141218_034541.jpg

1418837156_img_20141218_034601.jpg

After my last unsuccessful beach hunt (lightning interrupted), I trotted off back to the same spot for some dry sand detecting in hope of finding some goodies. I gridded up the beach either side of a jetty, and did quite well, a fair few recent drops were evident along with the usual beach junk. There still appears to be a lot of transported sand clogging up the beach from the replenishing program, so not too much point looking for deeper wet sand targets.

The Deteknix x-pointer continues to impress, don't really require a torch as it is extremely bright, and make for easy locating of targets. It is also very loud, so no need to remove headphones when pinpointing. Not a bad unit so far for the beach, it seems a bit less sensitive on some smaller targets than the VLF pinpointers, but makes up for it regarding its stability in the wet sand.

I wasn't really impressed with the amount of recently buried crap by some very lazy people, fast food boxes, bottles, cans, foil chip/nut packets, watermelons, sand buckets, multiple pairs of thongs, you name it. :rolleyes:

1419096772_img_20141221_035353.jpg

Still,.. you're pulling coins outa crap Goldpick, only a gun operator could do it so well(and cart away the crap).

Must say I was sort of dreading going down to the beach after new years, I was expecting junk, and that is pretty much what I got. 8)

Only odd finds were a junker "gold" earring, and 10 Euro cents, and the obligatory new years condom to round things off. :)

1420134296_img_20150102_041340.jpg

Following on from my post New Years detect with prolific junk, I took the G2 down the beach for a scoot along the dry sand and pretty much dug every target I came across, out of curiosity. Looks like the hot weather brought out all the junk droppers in Adelaide, bottle caps everywhere, complimented with an impressive array of tent pegs. Dora also made an appearance with a handy little shovel, coin targets were few and far between, but interestingly I managed to score a 1942 threepence lying around amongst the 5c & 10c pieces.

Oh well, at least the beach is a bit cleaner from when I first arrived. :D

1424970448_img_20150227_032702.jpg

1424970470_img_20150227_032730.jpg

Nice work Goldpick,
I believe that the Adelaide city council should put you on the payroll for that effort.
Cheers Steve :D

Latest posts