XP Deus - First outing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AtomRat said:
I don't know how sealed ammo is..but soaking in water is the way to diffuse / make safe most gunpowder devices. As long as your not using live ammo for a make do fuse for your cars headlights, you should be fine ;)

I missed you day b4, love the book win? and key grab haha so was this a contest / competition day? Sounds interesting.. I'd love more info if u have some. Our gem club could probably sort out some event like that next year

1913 florins a rippa nicely worn. What would you do with the mega rusted penny..just out of interest so I know what to do with mine. Cleaning with acids tends to reveal a horrible pitted and un recognisable coin..

Nothing like the glint of 925 silver under the moonlight, it wasn't a boomer of a signal either considering it was on edge in the hole. As for the pennies, I won't bother cleaning the crusty ones, the 1964 penny doesn't need much attention as it is still in great condition - maybe a few wipes with a damp microfibre cloth).

The book win was from a token hunt organised by our local detecting club, pretty funny watching 20 odd detectorists looking for 60 tokens in a relatively small area. :)

Snuck in a quick outing whilst up in Adelaide, nothing amazing, though still found a 1942 & 1962 sixpence, plus a few spendables.

The best finds were from the pudding, some tasty silver indeed. ;)

1451145904_img_20151227_56431.jpg

1451145920_img_20151227_7613.jpg

1451145936_img_20151227_8956.jpg

Nice little hunt GP,....looks like your pudding was as thick as a silver mine, and thats each scoop by the looks of it if that was the silver from just your bowl,...you'll have to talk to the cook if there was no chance of a crown or a half at all,...... you lucky sod(who puts shillings and florins in crismas pudding " honestly "),... now I wanna know what the elusive 11 oclock silver is(bigger than a shilling and smaller than a florin),..... you got crissy pud bettern most hunts, like I said "You lucky, LUCKY sod". ;) :D

Still got 1/3 of the pudding to eat yet, so plenty of silvers to come. My partner's sister usually makes the pudding in October/November where it gets hung to dry before going for a final boil on Chrissy day.

Silver, the coin at the back in a 1960 florin, the one at the front is a 1918 florin, just the camera playing tricks. :)

Nice end of year hunt, should run your detector over the pudding and pinpoint you serving :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi guys, I am thinking of leaving the aldi at home and borrowing a mates deus to look for coins and relics at an old hotel/sawmill/small township site. I expect i will need a little more depth. Looking for suggestions as to settings to use in this ground that will be littered with old iron etc from the buildings themselves....wonder if the deus can discriminate much of this and allow coins to be picked up? Perhaps Goldpick you have had some success in this type of area and could offer some wisdom? I have noted some previous settings you have posted:) Still on the search for my first pre-decimal coin

A good pre-set program to give a go in iron is "Deus Fast", which uses faster recovery speeds than the "GM Power" program. If you get too much feedback from the iron, try upping the standard discrimination setting from 6.8 to 10. Also note that the higher the reactivity setting (faster recovery speeds), the less depth you will get, so it is a bit of a balancing act between the correct reactivity, frequency and sensitivity settings. The stock reactivity setting on this program is "3", and should be suitable to start off with.

Ensure when you turn the detector that it is extended at waist height above the ground, and away from metal objects. It will be ready to detect once the large flashing LED on the coil has ceased, and you only get a flash every few seconds from the smaller LED, then ground balance.

Use manual ground balancing or pumping mode to balance the detector on clean ground vs tracking where there is a lot of junk. Ensure that the ground balance numbers are close to if not the same as the ground phase numbers (both displayed on right side of screen), and adjust as necessary whilst detecting. Use the +/- button to increase or decrease the manual GB figures to match, or select pumping and GB.

You should really only need to use a minimum of discrimination (iron disc), and let the Deus's fast recovery speeds to pick out the high tone conductors from amongst the junk. If you get targets reading in the very high 90's, you may find that some of the rusty iron is starting to "bleed" through. These tones will generally be loud & forced, and the signal tends to break up and be non-repeatable vs quieter mellow and repeatable coin tones, hence can be ignored. Try to go reasonable slow if littered with iron, this will ensure that you pick up on what may be just high tone squeaks from the deeper coins, especially small silvers. Swing fast and you will miss good targets, simple as that.

If you want more or less than 3 tones, which is the normal setting for Deus Fast, scroll down to "Disc" and select "Expert". Here you will see 2, 3, 4, 5 tones, or fulltones and a couple of other options. Personally I use Fulltones for the amount of target info it carries, though you may find it a bit too much to take in initially - up to you what suits.

You can drop down the frequency to 11.7kHz to improve the response to the high conductor coins if you find 17.8kHz isn't defining them enough, achieving enough depth, or if you want to recheck a particular target. Do note that if you drop the frequency, the ID numbers also drop in value unless you utilise the "ID Norm" function. This can be accessed under "Options" - "Configuration" - "Profile" - then select and turn on "ID Norm".

In reality every site may require a different program or series of settings to suit, just a matter of having a play around on the day to see what works best. :)

Latest posts