Detecting a lost village.(Or hacking through the jungle with machetes)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,
Seeing a Jas and myself had some time off work, we thought we should get off the beaten track and explore some new and unchartered grounds. After much research and a few phone calls we managed access to some private land. Our research led us to believe, the land we were going to be covering, had once been the site for a now forgotten village, that housed roughly 500 people in the late 1800's-early 1900's. Our contact assured us we were heading to the right spot and we left bright and early, with high expectations. He did also mention to bring a machete as we would need to clear some lantana to get to the site.
When we arrived, we unpacked our stuff and met our guide "Ken". He got us up to speed with the history of the place and secured us access to his neighbours block as well.

1451804455_032_800x600.jpg

1451804483_033_800x600.jpg

These are pictures of the original village in 1918 that Ken had in his cottage.

This is what the site looks like these days 100 years later

1451804579_034_600x800.jpg

1451804606_035_600x800.jpg

Needless to say we were a little deflated. The growth was so thick, and the lantana had all but taken over most of the site. It was all but impossible to swing a coil, let alone find anything.
We pushed on and hacked and scratched our way through the undergrowth until we found small clearings that allowed us to cover the ground more effectively. The going was very tough but Jas managed the first score of the trip with a beautiful little silver piece that could possibly be a cufflink? After a little google research we found the hallmarks to mean "Birmingham 1780" What a first find!!

1451804956_019_600x800.jpg

1451804976_020_600x800.jpg

That lifted our spirits as we knew we were on the spot, as it was hard to get a mental picture of where these huts and cottages were on the ridge, now that it was so over grown.
A short time later on another small patch I pulled our first coin for the trip, and my oldest coin yet.

1451805150_016_600x800.jpg

an 1882 Brittania Penny!!

So the swings with both the detectors and the machete's got more invigorated with each find. We now had a patch cleared of about 10 x 10 metres that we were able to search.
I saw Jas digging a hole to China, and asked him what he was chasing? He told me he had a faint, deep signal at about 10 inches deep. I left him to it and about 10 minutes later he was calling me over as he had found an awesome prize for all his efforts.

1451805499_017_600x800.jpg

1451805522_018_600x800.jpg

An 1806 Brittania Penny??? In excellent condition too I might add! Wow, What an awesome find!!
There were a few high fives and a few beers had that evening, whilst speculating how much money this coin is going to be worth!! As the beer flowed that evening the value of the coin increased and increased and we were going to have enough money to buy a bulldozer for the next trip to clear the lantana!! :lol:

All up I think we found 10 or so pre dec coins between us, which in my eyes was a great achievement considering the conditions!

1451805877_013_600x800.jpg

1451805895_014_600x800.jpg

1451805924_022_800x600.jpg

and some other interesting relics.

So, there you go. An epic jungle adventure into Australian history.
Cheers for looking
Dan.

Awesome Dan. Great pics, great tale and awesome finds. The 1806 penny is in great shape. I have an 1807 halfpenny. There coins were only made 2 years... 1806, 07.
If it is between the size of a more modern penny and half penny it is a half penny. Unfortunately the only bulldozer it will buy is a matchbox one. ;)

Great stuff boys.

you definitely in the right spot
dont give up
im sure you can find some more clearings or more easier worked areas if
you could be very well rewarded

Great story mate
Your efforts have been rewarded and your future return hunts will surely deliver many more rewards
Congratulations to you both , well deserved

Jaros said:
Jason 1971 said:
Good weekend,Great Yarn mate I'm afraid everything will remain in the ground.
Why is that Jason??
Jaros,the area is so overgrown with lantana every step u need to take a swing with both metal detector and machette.Thanks mate.

The photos actually don't do the lantana justice. It has totally over run the whole place. It basically needs a bush fire or a bulldozer to clear it out. We worked really really hard, just to get what we did. I'm sure that there is a lot more treasures buried under the ground there, but it'll take more than 2 blokes with machetes to get to it, and the people that own the property don't seem very interested in running a slasher through it for us either. :(
We got all of our finds within 10 metres of each other, and we went over every accessible bit of ground twice, and we would've only covered 1/10th of the entire area the village covered. The rest of it is completely impassable by foot.

Great report.

Offer to slash it for them. a days slashing might give you 2 days swinging?

BTW - you've given me a great idea for somewhere similar!

Awesome hunt, great to see some research pay dividends for you. That 1806 George III Penny is in fantastic condition. :eek:

Latest posts