My First Impression of the new SDC 2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that we can certainly do when we meet up again in the coming weeks Lbg! You'll get a real kick out of this machine :)

Next set of deep tests I'll take the GPX with me and run the 8x6 NF Sadie and maybe try out the 11" Commander alongside it, simply out of my own curiosity.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

The best way to perform tests in my opinion is to find
some high ground that is mineralised and With ironstone
And drill some holes into the side and then place target
on a ruler or a tube add target and slide in and do your
Test.

This Is the best way to perform these tests without
Disturbing soil and will be the closest to real life
Detecting experiences rather than digging a hole
And disturbing the ground.

Syndyne said:
I'll get hold of a few bits and do further testing (wind was ridiculous here this afternoon). I have a couple silver one ounce dollars that I could sink down to the 18 inch to 2 foot mark to really give it a good test in bad ground. Not sure the 8" coil will get that deep here, but I'll certainly push the limits of what I can do test-wise.

I should've hung onto the larger lead sinkers (20gm+) from the lake! Perfect test subjects. I'll grab one from the shops tomorrow if I can't locate a good sized one.

Going to be interesting to see larger nugget depth in virgin ground. Signal response and stability is fantastic. Ground balance is almost instant just like the 5000. Overall, very impressive unit!

Cheers,
Shauno.

I eagerly await the result. I'm sure you don't find much amusement in digging deep holes for everyone else's benefit but I'd dearly love to know the "iffy" depth or undetectable if you have the time and energy, I would be truly grateful.

markez said:
Hi Nenad,
I pickup my new 5000 next week from Coiltek(counting the minutes down!), my better half loves detecting as much as I do but finds the 5000 a tad heavy, I think I might have to put an order in for a SDC for her birthday coming up! She can find the "little ones" & me big'ens
love your videos, it's good to see local stuff for a change,
cheers-mark.

Thanks Mark.

You two will be a gold hunting machine with those two units!

Nenad

Thanks for the report Shauno.

A bit of info members may find interesting. Took the SDC and GPX to a spot where there's a power line running parallel to a set of old workings. Didn't have my AI coil with me (or a DD coil) so I thought I'd try the GPX first near the car, which was parked maybe 30m from the power line. As expected the 5000 was cackling like a chook! Turned the SDC on and it had a slight warble and was getting the odd spike come through, every 30 sec or so, but was relatively unaffected and definitely usable.

Thanks Shauno and Steveo, great report, I'm sold on it. Thanks too Nenad that's great performance near power lines.

Will order mine today I reckon, my Sunday audio gear sale went really well, it's great turning dust gathering old stuff into new stuff.

Definitely looks like a winner. Definitely going to consider it when I make the plunge from vlf to pi.
Thanks for the posts.
Greg

Picked up mine today, stuck some batteries in, wandered out the back yard, did a noise cancel a ground balance and it worked fine. I'm in a severe EMI area in suburban Sydney and it could ping a 1 gm nug from about 15cm or slightly more very very nicely. Was set to 2. Have never been able to ping a test nug with a mono coil here, you could not hear it at all unless using a DD in cancel.

Then dropped a 20c piece on the ground, could ping it easy from about 1 foot maybe more. With less EMI and higher gain I'm sure the depth would be quite a bit better than that. Will try and get out next week sometime for a test day and see if it can ping a nugget. Might even hit the beach at low tide and see what I can find in the next day or so.

Very impressed with it, will easilly fit in a packpack, very solid, no bad points I can think of yet.

Would love to see some tests done without disturbing the ground too much.

Find some high mineralised and iron infested ground, drill some holes into
the side at different depths and test a few different targets at different
depths.

Soil is not disturbed this way and its the best depth indication test you
can do.

Sometimes you may find a high creek bank say a metre or so off the creek
bed which is highly mineralised and infested with ironstone and this could
be a good spot for testing as well.

Wolfau said:
Would love to see some tests done without disturbing the ground too much.

Find some high mineralised and iron infested ground, drill some holes into
the side at different depths and test a few different targets at different
depths.

Soil is not disturbed this way and its the best depth indication test you
can do.

Sometimes you may find a high creek bank say a metre or so off the creek
bed which is highly mineralised and infested with ironstone and this could
be a good spot for testing as well.

Hi Wolf,

We did exactly that this afternoon. I found a nice flat-sided bench area (not far from where I normally test in the old quarry) and dug in about six inches on the horizontal and ten inches down in depth. I could only get hold of a 30.2gm lead sinker, bean shape (size 3?) here in town. At a guess, I'd estimate that the sinker would be roughly about the size of a 1/2 - 3/4 ounce compact round-ish nugget.

The ground again is very hot there (all ironstone dirt and gravels) and it actually took a little time to get it ground balanced on settings 4 and 5 (this happened with the GPX5000 in the same area, even running in Enhance). I started in setting 2 and it was just breaking threshold over the target. A careful detectorist would pick it up though. Setting 3 was definitely my best response. Pushing into settings 4 and 5 and they were just a little too noisy on that ground and the response was mixed up with ground noise, particularly once set on 5 (Normal) -which I suspected would happen there.

I tried it down around the thirteen inch mark on another hole I dug in a bit further along the bench, but couldn't get a response at that depth in that ground on setting 3.

Once again, it would be far better for someone to bench test it out on the actual goldfields in ground that wasn't as nasty. I'm very pleased with those results for that machine out there though.

Nice to see the ruler measurement hit the 15-16cm mark on the small lead shot at the end of Nenad's recent video. That was great to see. *Apologies for hijacking the thread too Nenad.

Very keen to see someone finding/testing on deeper targets on the fields! Nothing beats that. :D
Kindest regards and all the best,
Shauno.

In one of the ozprospectors vids he dug one out in situ @ about the depth of the coil so probably somewhere between 7-9". Pretty good with the 8" coil I thought. From memory it was a specci too.
p.s thanks for your efforts/reports Shauno & others - much appreciated.

mbasko said:
[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nnqDzxRGxg[/video]

This blokes got a few good vids too. (ozyprospector)

Would of loved to see the start of this video where he actually detects the target just to see how sharp and
load the signal was before he started digging.

After a few inches though not finding a bullet or trash and he started digging through the gravel I think he
knew it was game on with a possible nugget hence the video recording started.

Goldtarget said:
Could do with a pin pointer. .... Cheers for the share.

In my opinion the Vibraprobe 580 is the best unit to get.

yes its big but its pulse induction and will find the .2 grammers.

i did some tests on a popular vlf pin pointer and the 580 and the 580 was better for the tiny stuff.

Wolfau said:
Goldtarget said:

i did some tests on a popular vlf pin pointer and the 580 and the 580 was better for the tiny stuff.

that 580 sounds a better choice than the garrets wolfy, the 2300 finds gold so small the garrets won't give a signal :D
regards tm

trashmagnet said:
Wolfau said:
Goldtarget said:

that 580 sounds a better choice than the garrets wolfy, the 2300 finds gold so small the garrets won't give a signal :D
regards tm

The 580 comes with me prospecting especially when your
Looking for tiny nuggets. Years ago i left a couple behind
Because they were so small to find.

The 580 will work in hand with the sdc2300 where it will
Find the small bits quickly. Whether they react to each other
I have no idea.

Also a big Thanks to every for your input to this post.

Latest posts