My First Impression of the new SDC 2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a new contributor on the Minelab Treasure Talk blog and for my first post Minelab sent me a SDC 2300 to check out for a couple days. Life is good! Anyway, my first post just went live there but you will have to find it yourself as I can't post links here yet. Maybe somebody can add the link for me.

I am headed to Alaska for two months of prospecting and hope my connections can get me one of these ASAP as it should pay for itself quickly up north.

Thanks Wolf, I leave in the morning. 3000 miles about four days driving, get set up, start detecting for gold June 16. Best wishes to you all prospecting!

Take care Steve and will read all about your finds on Toms site or your website or if you decide to post here.

Hey all.

For anyone who wants to check out the SDC 2300 in action, I've recorded some footage while using it in the Adelaide hills.
Here's the first video with more to come.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3CbJxNXNW0[/video]

It's just recorded on my Galaxy S3 phone, so the quality isn't crash hot, but you can hear what target signals sound like etc.

Cheers

Awesome video great snapshot. Hmm maybe Minelab knew the effect this sort of thing would have on me. Thanks for the video PT can't wait to get one out in the field.

I know it will happen in time but some good depth test results on tiny gold .1 & .05 gram would have me more interested.

Nice demo and even better result, what are those South Aussies complaining about when they say there's no yellow over there??

Look forward to seeing one in action in Bendigo at the weekend and probably coming home with one.

Playing with one at the Melb 4x4 expo they felt solid and robust.

Phasetech good work keep the videos coming I'm starting to talk myself into buying one now even at $4000.

Thanks guys, Part 2 is up now: www.youtube.com/channel/UC8ikICv4jGOPd8bK-EHKCYA

Teemore, don't want to give the wrong impression that SA gold is easy to find, it's just that the SDC seems to fit the bill perfectly for our conditions. Mixed mineralisation, lots of charcoal, generally smaller gold, and lots of rough/porpous type gold - all of which the SDC seems to be perfect for.

A few people have requested some comparisons to the GPX with 8" mono, which I'll do in the coming weeks. However, I can say this. I did a quick test (mild ground) where the GPX 5000 can easily run Sensitive Extra. I buried a 0.1g nug and a 0.7g speci to a depth where the SDC was giving me a soft but clear signal. The GPX with 8" mono got a very faint signal on the 0.1g, and nothing on the speci. I swapped over to an 11" mono and this time it was the reverse. The 11" mono got nothing on both bits in Sensitive Extra, but funnily enough got a marginal signal on the 0.71g speci in Fine-Gold. I didn't fiddle too much with the GPX settings, but they were already fairly high for the area. I know this was hardly a scientific test, but interesting result regardless.

Nenad

Interesting. Will check out the video after work. I'm always thankful that Giuseppe guys take the time to video processes. Big help.

PhaseTech said:
Teemore, don't want to give the wrong impression that SA gold is easy to find,

Understand that, was a tongue in cheek comment as many SA contributors comment on the lack of, or 'locked' gold producing areas.

Have to admit I had my heart set on the 5000 as my retirement 'reward'.
The SDC has changed that, yes partly because it does seem to deliver what it promises but what swayed me was it's apparent immediate ease of use, very few setting variables.

Compare that to the 5000 (I'm no maths expert so correct me if I'm wrong, numbers are only approx.)
Setting choices that need to be made .....
Search Mode 6x
Auto Tune 2x
Soil Timings 3x
Coil Sel. 2x
Grd Bal Type 2x
Motion Sweep 3x
Tracking Spd 3X
This options list is probably incomplete and understated BUT if you multiply that out you will end up with approximately
2592 different settings that you could use in any situation ...... get 1 or 2 wrong and your chances of finding the yellow are diminished before you start.
I'm sure regular users will have theses down pat for each different location while also factoring in weather/temperature and other 'outside' variables.

So yes I will buy the SDC
BUT will still work towards understanding the 5000 buy doing a few training days and occasionally renting one ..... THEN live in hope that I've been successful enough to perhaps buy the next generation of GPX.
Cheeers Tom

A great video PhaseTech. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Tossing up between the ATX and the SDC 2300. Big price difference, however is there as much of a differnce in the detection? Too many decisions and not enough info at the moment.

Turn and go the sdc Temore, and buy the 5K with the finds. ... And/or trade in. And waterproof. PT I'm holding you responsible for what my Mrs will call an irresponsible purchase.

Nenad is this your own personal SDC2300 or your personal machine you used while working at Minelab?

Do you think there is a way to increase the target response on future machines?

Glad you joined the forum. I enjoyed your other minelab videos.

I think if the price point was $3200 Minelab would sell a truck load of these detectors.

The next 18 months though is going to be interesting to see what new gold pi detectors hit the market.

Dogmatic said:
A great video PhaseTech. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Tossing up between the ATX and the SDC 2300. Big price difference, however is there as much of a differnce in the detection? Too many decisions and not enough info at the moment.

Okay I'm not one to bag certain products, and sing the praises of others because all detectors have good and bad points whether they be price, poor audio, confusing user interface, too many settings, not enough settings, poor run time etc etc. but I will point out some key differences based on my somewhat limited experience with both units:

1. The ATX has impressive performance on Max sensitivity however start swinging it around and you'll realise there is no way you can actually operate it on max. Performance drops off quickly when you lower the sensitivity. In general I have found I needed to drop the Sensitivity on the ATX to 10 and still have good coil control to keep it running smooth. This appears only a marginal drop in actual numbers, but I have found that performance drops a lot, particularly on smaller targets. If the 8" Garrett coil allows a higher sensitivity to be run without falsing (I haven't used one), I think it would be well worth it, but the optional coil prices seem very high.

2. The SDC on the other hand does not false at all, and the Sensitivity control is such that you start at minimum and try to push it higher depending on local conditions. However, even on the recommended setting of 2 (out of 5) it performs great.

3. The ATX comes with a bigger coil, with 2 optional coils available. The SDC only comes with an 8" mono (but I hope that changes in the future).

4. The ATX audio is simply too high pitch for my liking. I find it very harsh on the ears, but others don't seem to have a problem with it. The SDC has a choice of High or Low tone, and the target signal is that smooth Minelab wee-ooo signal.

5. Beaches. Okay here is where the ATX wins. Why? The beach is flatter so there is a lot less touch sensitivity on the coil. You have the ability to reject some iron (even though it sounds harsh), whereas SDC is all-metal. Also the coil is larger for greater ground coverage, and being open web means it won't get sucked into wet sand. The ATX seems to be less affected by nearby powerlines, but I haven't confirmed this in a side-by-side test. I have to say I have only used the ATX at the beach on one occasion so my comments may not be well qualified. If Coiltek released a DD platypus for the SDC (open web 12x8"), it would make an awesome combo for beaches!

6. The SDC folds down more compact - but there is a negative. Because the control box is so thin, it means the armrest needs to fold as well, so it isn't a solid design. Because of a wider control box on the ATX, the armrest is the traditional style and feels really nice. But....

7. When swinging both detectors, the thin profile of the SDC means the control box can get closer to your body so there's less strain on your arm. If you use a harness, you wouldn't notice either way, but I am yet to use a harness with the SDC, but was really wishing for one after swinging the ATX for 45 mins.

8. Blue vs Green - sorry Minelab, but I prefer olive green so ATX wins here for me. But at the end of the day, performance rules..... if my GPX was pink with ribbons on it, I'd still be swinging it (under a camo control box cover no doubt)

9. ATX runs on 8 x AA's, and SDC runs on 4 x C cells. Yes C Cells are harder to buy in discount bulk packs, but rechargeable cells and charger are included so it is a non-issue. I've bought some Energizer C cells and have tucked them in the boot just in case I run the NiMH's down. Tip: Fishing Lure boxes make great battery storage containers!

10. In three afternoons I found 5 nuggets with the SDC. In 4 attempts with the ATX, my tally is Zero.

So there's my current take on both units.

Wolfau said:
Nenad is this your own personal SDC2300 or your personal machine you used while working at Minelab?

Do you think there is a way to increase the target response on future machines?

Glad you joined the forum. I enjoyed your other minelab videos.

I think if the price point was $3200 Minelab would sell a truck load of these detectors.

The next 18 months though is going to be interesting to see what new gold pi detectors hit the market.

Thanks mate.

The SDC 2300 I have is a final production loaner unit that they have been kind enough to allow me to put through its paces.

Improving target response is easy, but doing it the obvious ways means introducing more noise as well, so I'll leave that to Bruce Candy and the engineers to weave their magic

Latest posts