My First Impression of the new SDC 2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not normally a doubting Thomas BUT ..... pretty sure the SDC that I have would be screaming with a gold target that close to the coil. They also mention 'ground noise' I've yet to come across any that isn't cancelled out after a second sweep or so.
Not sure about a 'nickel' at 14" but I have one here somewhere and will give it a try next time I get a chance to get near a beach.
Cheers Tom

If the SDC was ground balanced to the salt sand like you saw his mate doing it is possible to GB out small targets the ATX didn't sound like it was ground balanced as it was giving off lots of falsing.
If it had of been in the dry sand without a doubt would have given a nice response.

Generally you won't even detect that chain
with a low frequency vlf. This is What we call
micro jewelery hunting and Is generally done
with a gmt or a goldbug 2 due to the high
Frequency and yes these machines are used
By some people looking for thin chains
And earings like where volley ball is played.

Most other detectors struggle.

Anyone who owns a sdc2300 can do this test at
Home with a very thin gold chain lined up on
The ground and run the machine over it.

Don't be shocked if your unable to detect it
Though due To how thin the chain is and the
thickness of the linkages are.

Your own tests are always best though.

i also don't trust that video at all - coming from an an ATX user! I often don't ground balance the ATX and listen through the noise for depth. I cannot think the SDC would not see that chain! Maybe a 'tell' on the video is the guy saying "oh yea, it takes a while to turn on" or words to that affect regarding the SDC. Need some more videos at the beach!

I tested mine at the beach and didn't need to run it in Salt settings.......... I think the Salt setting my dumb it down a touch. I'll do a test on some fine chain over the next day or 2.

Can even run the SDC inside my house!!! Picks up a small Gold ring inside my house at at least a foot on Normal 1! :D

trashmagnet said:
I know you were asking nenad, but I can tell you the sdc2300 operates on slow tracking unless you hold the green button in
then it fast tracks (fast ground grab or fast force track)
regards tm

That's correct. I spoke to one of the engineers at Minelab to clarify the speed, and he said that the Tracking most closely resembled Medium.

Heatho said:
I tested mine at the beach and didn't need to run it in Salt settings.......... I think the Salt setting my dumb it down a touch. I'll do a test on some fine chain over the next day or 2.

Can even run the SDC inside my house!!! Picks up a small Gold ring inside my house at at least a foot on Normal 1! :D

I gave the SDC a run at the beach last night. On normal 2 it was moaning on the swing, but you could still pick up targets, however the threshold was a little rattly. This is right in front of suburbia. Salt 2 was even more rattly in the threshold. So I was flicking between Salt 1 and Normal 1 both of which were quite smooth. I found Normal 1 was very smooth in the threshold, and only gave a slight moan over the wet salt. Salt 1 was dead silent on the sand, but I think the threshold was smoother in Normal 1. I still ran both to compare targets found. Basically wasn't a lot in it. I seemed to locate deeper targets with Salt 1, perhaps because I wasn't stopping on tiny targets?? But in saying that, the tiniest target I got was a minute bit of aluminium and that was in Salt 1. I got a few crown caps very deep.

Arm felt stiff after 2 hrs, but that is probably from digging through the hard packed sand and the fact that it was 5 degrees :|

One of the deepest targets was a bobby pin.

I really preferred the Low tone audio on the beach. When going over a large shallow target you get that nice "saturated" signal like on the SD's.

The SDC still has the hi-low and low-hi audio response on different targets. A $1 coin gives a hi-low. All the crown caps I dug except for 1 gave the low-hi.
Need to check this on a few more targets including jewellery and will report back.

PhaseTech said:
trashmagnet said:
I know you were asking nenad, but I can tell you the sdc2300 operates on slow tracking unless you hold the green button in
then it fast tracks (fast ground grab or fast force track)
regards tm

That's correct. I spoke to one of the engineers at Minelab to clarify the speed, and he said that the Tracking most closely resembled Medium.

I sure got things mixed up so thanks trashmagnet and Nenad for clarifying and answering my original question so it Automatically Ground Tracks using a Medium track speed but it then operates at a Fast tracking speed to re-ground balance by using the green button.

PhaseTech said:
Heatho said:

I gave the SDC a run at the beach last night. On normal 2 it was moaning on the swing, but you could still pick up targets, however the threshold was a little rattly. This is right in front of suburbia. Salt 2 was even more rattly in the threshold. So I was flicking between Salt 1 and Normal 1 both of which were quite smooth. I found Normal 1 was very smooth in the threshold, and only gave a slight moan over the wet salt. Salt 1 was dead silent on the sand, but I think the threshold was smoother in Normal 1. I still ran both to compare targets found. Basically wasn't a lot in it. I seemed to locate deeper targets with Salt 1, perhaps because I wasn't stopping on tiny targets?? But in saying that, the tiniest target I got was a minute bit of aluminium and that was in Salt 1. I got a few crown caps very deep.

Arm felt stiff after 2 hrs, but that is probably from digging through the hard packed sand and the fact that it was 5 degrees :|

One of the deepest targets was a bobby pin.

I really preferred the Low tone audio on the beach. When going over a large shallow target you get that nice "saturated" signal like on the SD's.

The SDC still has the hi-low and low-hi audio response on different targets. A $1 coin gives a hi-low. All the crown caps I dug except for 1 gave the low-hi.
Need to check this on a few more targets including jewellery and will report back.

HI There - thanks for this info - what kind of depth on the crown caps etc (a decent foot?) Did you find there was just too many targets to make the SDC useful - i.e., each swing picking up tiny aluminium etc? Interesting to know beach depth on a standard mens wedding band :) Also if you can swing in the salt water without it going nuts..... :D

Fair enough, just spent all my money the other day on minelab stuff, so a bit cash poor. I did notice that Steve Herschbach made that comment. ;)

dmnz said:
HI There - thanks for this info - what kind of depth on the crown caps etc (a decent foot?) Did you find there was just too many targets to make the SDC useful - i.e., each swing picking up tiny aluminium etc? Interesting to know beach depth on a standard mens wedding band :) Also if you can swing in the salt water without it going nuts..... :D

I got a few targets at a foot, and several at a foot plus that I couldn't retrieve due the sand crashing in on itself.
I was right out on a very low tide and targets were quite spread out. The most targets I got was 3 in 1sqm. For the most part targets where about 5m apart.

Yeah I was occasionally wading in some shallow tidal pools and the detector didn't make a peep.

I did some tests today at home on my jewellery collection and it finds everything on Salt 1, including 3 different chains.

I still can't understand why he didn't run the sdc through the speaker vs headphones, surely it would have been loud enough to hear?

Did a quick test down at the beach. My wedding ring, 18ct 2 tone gold, I could see it at 31cm. This was buried with the coil sweeping over the top. No difference between Salt 1 and normal 1.
Then checked a $1 and $2 coin. Saw the $1 at 30cm and the $2 at 28. This was on Salt 1. Salt 2 sharpened up the response and Salt 3 added about 4cm. Surprisingly both coins at this depth couldn't be picked up in Norm 1 or 2. I needed to remove about 2 inches of sand before I could hear the coins. So looks like Salt has more depth on high conductors. Very happy with nearly 13" on a $1 coin from an 8" mono. Now we just need a 14x9" mono. That would be awesome on the flats!

For those who know Adelaide, the SDC runs much smoother just sth of Grange jetty compared to at Brighton, even though the nearest powerlines seem to be the same distance apart.

cheers for the info :) Much appreciated. Looks like good performance for the mono coil. I think the ATX will def get deeper on the beach, until such time as an aftermarket coil comes out for the sdc?

Also - I gather the headphone connector is entirely new - so a CTX3030 headphone set won't work? If that is the case this is a real pity as it needs yet another set of headphones??

the 30cm or so on the ring, was it a loud, repeatable signal, or a quiet murmur? I.e - did it say - dam, thats a ring, dig me?? (a decent clear tone)

Great info Nenad, especially on the Salt settings. Tried mine around the Sunny Corner area today, it ran very nicely over the nasty looking Red Clayey ground, got one broad sounding falsie but scraped a few inches off and it vanished. Got a .22 air rifle pellet at about 15-20cm in the side of a track cutting, a tiny tiny piece of a boot tack or similar about 3-4mm long and totally rusted through at about 10 cm, took 20 mins to find it, these were small but very noticeable signals. Got an old button, a 22 shell and a few other small bits of Iron, wire and bits of Aluminium, these were all screamers.

No Gold but it was a good day out none the less, a bit muddy and drizzling, the SDC ran nicely all day though, few wobbly thresholds now and then but mostly very very smooth. Mainly stuck to Normal 2, going up to 3 was getting a touch unstable, was quite a bit of EMI there though I think.

Latest posts