My First Impression of the new SDC 2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These videos certainly do a lot for proving its performance on our local goldifelds, in real time with real results, vs the usual "this vs that" detector comparisons from abroad. I guess there is nothing to really compare it against amywayfor finding small gold, other than something like the GMT or GB2.

I see you also have a writeup in the latest Gold Gem & Treasure mag as well. :)

PhaseTech said:
washgravel said:
Thanks again Nenad.

I look forward to your video demonstration in terms of the sensitivity performance of the SDC's MPF using, I assume, its 1 only timing and the GPX's MPS using its Fine-Gold timing.

Hopefully you will be using an 8" round mono coil on the 5000 for a fair comparison?

Robert

Hi Robert,

Your wish is my command :) Also threw in a 4500 in Enhance with 11" mono for good measure.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/VFHIBczslgI[/video]

Awesome video. Its a nice machine.

Think I may get one, been having a mad morning selling old pro audio gear and musical instruments that are gathering dust, makes me realise how cheap prospecting is.........

$15,000 worth of gear 10 years ago, going for about $1500 now, oh well, SDC hopefully in the next week or 2 should make me forget about it.

Heatho said:
Think I may get one, been having a mad morning selling old pro audio gear and musical instruments that are gathering dust, makes me realise how cheap prospecting is.........

$15,000 worth of gear 10 years ago, going for about $1500 now, oh well, SDC hopefully in the next week or 2 should make me forget about it.

Ain't that the truth Heatho! We're in the same boat. The 'money spent vs time that you enjoy something' factor is always a hard decision to justify. In this case the enjoyment factor should win hands down :)

Really looking forward to seeing the SDC in action firsthand. All the videos so far by Nenad, JP and ozyprospector etc. on YouTube have been fantastic and well worth watching. It'll be interesting to see how they get on with larger targets down a bit deeper -which no doubt we'll probably see pop up soon as more prospectors get out into the goldfields with them.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Just picked up my copy of the Gold, Gem and Treasure Magazine's 2014 Annual and inside is an excellent 2 page article on "In the Field with Minelab's New SDC 2300 Gold Detector" by Nenad Lonic. :D

Congratulations Nenad I look forward to your future articles on this machine.

Cheers,

Grant

I was browsing through Steve Herschbachs forum and came across what was said to be a very impressive air test with the SDC2300 and its 8 mono over a quarter coin at 18.

A quarter is close in diameter and thickness to our 10c coin with the quarter containing around 7% more copper and 17% less nickel.

Would a GPX5000 in Fine Gold with an 8 mono coil in an air test on our 10c coin get 18 ?

Syndyne said:
Heatho said:

Ain't that the truth Heatho! We're in the same boat. The 'money spent vs time that you enjoy something' factor is always a hard decision to justify. In this case the enjoyment factor should win hands down :)

Really looking forward to seeing the SDC in action firsthand. All the videos so far by Nenad, JP and ozyprospector etc. on YouTube have been fantastic and well worth watching. It'll be interesting to see how they get on with larger targets down a bit deeper -which no doubt we'll probably see pop up soon as more prospectors get out into the goldfields with them.

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Yeah I think so mate, will get heaps more fun out of a detector. My lucky day. :D

Yeah all great vids, can't wait to see one either mate, might have look out at miners den this week and see they have 1 to play with in the shop.

It's funny how this machine has been marketed as the best "mid range" gold detector.
If it proves a better detector on small gold than the gpx series it should be marketed as the "top of the range" detector for small gold.

I think these detectors will clean areas completely in the hands of an experienced detectorist.

Hey Heatho buddy pal, you been workin out? Looking good my man...
You, umm... offloading that gpx5000 cheap? :D

Ha, nah i'm going to persist with the old 2200- i have faith!

Reeko

Reeko mate buddy, when we head out your welcome to use one, I can't swing both simultaneously, just have to flip a coin to see who uses what. :) But will keep the 5000 I think, the 2 will complement each other for different situations. Fancy a dip in the Turon with the SDC when the weather warms up mate? :D

I dunno where this detector sits in terms of mid or top, keen find out though. 90% sure I'm getting one unless disaster of some sort strikes.

I know I know, experience is the key, could just be a great tiny Lead pellet finder without getting into the right spots.

Keep the faith in the 2200 mate, they are still highly regarded machines.

You'll probably see Gary Drayton pulling some gold from the beaches before I get a water nugget. Its cold enough as it is and there's plenty of nuggies on dry land. :cool:

Hi Nenad,
I pickup my new 5000 next week from Coiltek(counting the minutes down!), my better half loves detecting as much as I do but finds the 5000 a tad heavy, I think I might have to put an order in for a SDC for her birthday coming up! She can find the "little ones" & me big'ens
love your videos, it's good to see local stuff for a change,
cheers-mark.

PhaseTech said:
You'll probably see Gary Drayton pulling some gold from the beaches before I get a water nugget. Its cold enough as it is and there's plenty of nuggies on dry land. :cool:

Yeah way to cold for a dip, was thinking a tub of water. All good though. :)

Hi all,

Pleased to say that the new SDC arrived here yesterday so I'll be taking it out for a swing on the test beds today, mainly interested to see the response on larger targets (as we already know it's deadly on the small stuff) and just get used to it before hitting the goldfields again soon.

Really excited to see this machine in action. First impressions are very good. A tad heavier than I expected, but that's due to the rugged and strong build quality -which is a definite plus! It would probably benefit from a harness for prolonged usage over several hours.

It had me thinking last night while reading Nenad's article in the AGG&T Mag that perhaps we just might see something similar to this MPF technology implemented into the next generation of GPX machines? Something along the lines of an Extreme or Extra Fine Gold timing perhaps? Food for thought. -Great article too Nenad! Look forward to the next additions.

Steveo1 is up here visiting us so I might try and drag him out there with me for a bit of fun in the Sun.

All the best out there,
Shauno.

Looking forward to the results Shauno, build quality sounds good.

If the next generation high end release is like the SDC with different coils and a host of settings like the GPX and some discrimination abilty it will be unbeatable.

Had a bit of a play with the SDC and a bit of fun this afternoon. Very windy out here today, but that was not really a problem with the LED visual display to go along with the audio signal. If I were on a goldfield on a gusty day like today then I would definitely have the headphones on!

Did four very basic tests (very similar to those I did back in the day with the 5000). As mentioned in those previous tests, a target in the field offers a much better response than I get out here. Our ground is full of ironstone and salt-laden silicate/quartz conglomerate. Pretty nasty stuff in general. It doesn't vary much like the goldfields do either. The 5000 won't even pick up the 0.14gm piece I found at Stuart Town while testing out here, but I had found it easily at 11cm (4 inches) depth originally. So that's an indication of the rough old ground I'm testing in.

1st test was a 3.43gm nugget at 10 inches depth and it had no trouble hearing it. Quite a nice surprise really! It was an easily audible, sweet "dig me" signal -even in very gusty winds. Got a better signal as I moved the setting from 2 back each notch towards the Normal settings of 3, 4 and 5. Quite clear on the higher settings. I even tried it set way back at the Salt settings and it was still quite audible.

Steveo threw a small piece of jewelry in the form of a plated ring into a hole for the 2nd test. He buried it at around 7-8 inches depth and the machine overloaded on it while on setting 2. Still had a strong response holding the coil about a foot above the ground.

3rd test we tried a 0.2gm (3mm round) lead shot sunk in around the 4 inch mark and it was an easily audible response using setting 2 which improved slightly when moved towards the Normal settings of 3 and 4.

4th test was the 3.43gm nugget on it's side offering a much smaller response as it's flattish in shape and set to 6 inches depth. Easily heard using the setting 2. Overloaded as I moved the settings back towards Normal, ie; 3, 4, and 5.

Ground balance was beautifully smooth. Pretty much identical to the GPX5000 from the initial impressions we had. The weight didn't seem too much of an issue for the time we ran it. A harness would make life a little easier though, particularly if you're prone to the odd ache and pain in the shoulders or back region.

All in all I'm really looking forward to getting out into the goldfields with it for a real run against the 5000.

I may try a few larger targets a bit deeper (if I can get the holes down! lol) in the coming days. :)

Kindest regards,
Shauno.

Yep out with Syndyne and his dad alan. And yes what a great detector i think i have to be very nice to my wife (miss steveo1) and maybe she will let me buy 1 :D

I might sell the GPX5000 & buy one. It's ticking a lot of boxes. Be very interested to see how it goes on some more depth & bigger nuggets.
Did you try the lead shot any deeper than 4"?

I'll get hold of a few bits and do further testing (wind was ridiculous here this afternoon). I have a couple silver one ounce dollars that I could sink down to the 18 inch to 2 foot mark to really give it a good test in bad ground. Not sure the 8" coil will get that deep here, but I'll certainly push the limits of what I can do test-wise.

I should've hung onto the larger lead sinkers (20gm+) from the lake! Perfect test subjects. I'll grab one from the shops tomorrow if I can't locate a good sized one.

Going to be interesting to see larger nugget depth in virgin ground. Signal response and stability is fantastic. Ground balance is almost instant just like the 5000. Overall, very impressive unit!

Cheers,
Shauno.

Cheers Shauno - it's certainly got me thinking. If you can do some more tests I would be very interested in them. Starting to think this machine would suit me & this area.