New From Mackay

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Im from Mackay with a new found hobby/sport. Im a keen Fisherman ( not so successful and a crabber (successful). Now I have also picked up a new interest which brings me here.

Bought myself a Minelab gold monster 1000 and a pan to try something new. Unfortunately Mackay seems to be not so popular for fossicking or close to popular spots. I have to learn everything about this hobby. Even though Mackay is not famous for gold but I believe gold is everywhere, its just that some places have more and others (like Mackay) not so much. I have 2 kids 8 and 9 who are absolutely stunned by the idea of "Treasure Hunting" and I wish to take them out and find at least a piece for each. Leaving kids aside, I would am very much interested in getting my first little piece.

Im not going to nag anyone but would be greatful for any pointers anyone could throw in. Im sure its just like fishing and hunting where you have to put in the hard yards and im ready for it. Would be great to meet someone from Mackay region.

Thanks for reading Guys/Gals

Hi Everyone
Im from Mackay with a new found hobby/sport. Im a keen Fisherman ( not so successful and a crabber (successful). Now I have also picked up a new interest which brings me here.

Bought myself a Minelab gold monster 1000 and a pan to try something new. Unfortunately Mackay seems to be not so popular for fossicking or close to popular spots. I have to learn everything about this hobby. Even though Mackay is not famous for gold but I believe gold is everywhere, its just that some places have more and others (like Mackay) not so much. I have 2 kids 8 and 9 who are absolutely stunned by the idea of "Treasure Hunting" and I wish to take them out and find at least a piece for each. Leaving kids aside, I would am very much interested in getting my first little piece.

Im not going to nag anyone but would be greatful for any pointers anyone could throw in. Im sure its just like fishing and hunting where you have to put in the hard yards and im ready for it. Would be great to meet someone from Mackay region.

Thanks for reading Guys/Gals
G'day Ron, it's very additive, I hope you realize that. 🤔

Clermont is not that far from Mackay and I'm sure you could find a few tiny bits of gold there, especially if you want to pan a few spots in creeks.

I don't know how your gold monster 1000 will go there, we used the gpx4500's with good success there on the GPA's

Most of all remember to have fun

cheers dave

Last edited:
G'day Ron, it's very additive, I hope you realize that. 🤔

Clermont is not that far from Mackay and I'm sure you could find a few tiny bits of gold there, especially if you want to pan a few spots in creeks.

I don't know how your gold monster 1000 will go there, we used the gpx4500's with good success there on the GPA's

Most of all remember to have fun

cheers dave
Thanks Dave, just had a look, Clermont is 3 hrs from my place so surely makes for a family fun day event. I can feel it being very addictive as i couldnt stop myself from finding tinfoil in my front yard:p Monster 1000 loves foil and sounds just like gold. Im sure it will be a fun day

G’day Ron, you have a few goodbeaches around your waythat would be well worth a go. Mackka
Metal detecting on beach for gold pieces? Been looking for videos on youtube just to confirm the idea but havent found any but will give it a try now you have said it :)

Latest posts