Depth of coins.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They spray copper oxychloride around gardens and orchards(don't forget the Mencozeb) so it may be that the copper leaching from the coins isn't turning into too bad a thing for some of the micro organisms, maybe it's something else that likes the copper and in turn is preyed upon as food by the worms.$1 and $2 coins also have a high copper content and can sometimes be found at depths that no horses ever pushed them down to.

I have a theory that years ago a copper was planted for a new tree planting. found about 10 so far around the roots. no silver, just pennies and halves. mbe a superstition or copper content ?

Sounds like a lot of rooting around SD
slipped disc said:
I have a theory that years ago a copper was planted for a new tree planting. found about 10 so far around the roots. no silver, just pennies and halves. mbe a superstition or copper content ?

We threw money in for the journey when we planted Dad,...I put money in his pocket and said " Don't worry I'm putting it in not taking it out", while ago now, decimal though, and some old Irish coins for those who need to know(no shovels people(please)).

So they are six feet down in the ground,...and no a horse didn't do it.

I know that coins can be found from any depth but for something from 1910-1945, if you guys were consistently lucky do you remember what depth you found these on average? I'm having a hard time on differentiating junk and valuable at deeper depths in a few researched old places. Any tips would be appreciated, I'm using an equinox 800 if that helps. Also when it comes to dirt I find it more tricky compared to metal detecting on sand where I usually am successful.

Anywhere from on the surface to 12 for 1800 coins onwards.

If I am to share my experience, I would say; shallower in rocky or clay ground, deeper in sandy or loamy soils. Deeper again in areas with lots of topsoil as the layers build up.