2013 finds - Scoopa

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey "scoopa"

You're not detecting in your local coin shop are you ?

I'm trying to get other members to chip in for a private detective, so we can find out where
You go !

Good find !

Hey Gunter, no I steer clear of the coins shops. No secrets. just abit of research and look for the areas that have been well used both in the past and present. Then, as we all know, you've gotta put the time in with the detector!. Happy Hunting!

Wow man,nice haul for sure! ive got six days off from Thursday so look out in bunbury for me! i know you guys are over east, but anyone in bunno want to go for a swing let me know! well done man :)

Decided it was time to brush the cobs webs of the Excalibur and make an early start to the beach season. There had been a slight cut on one of the local Newcastle Beaches which produced $20 exactly in mixed change, a nice hall marked silver celtic ring, silver plated bangle, a bling necklace and the usual sinkers. The cut appears to have exposed alot of stuff from last season as all the items need to be cleaned. I also located a fair amount of iron items which weren't there last season, but as I run the Excalibur in pin point mode and then use the discrimination to identify the iron, I didn't waste any time digging those. All in all-a great couple of hours.

Sounds like an awesome day at the beach Scoopa! I've never really had a lot of luck on the beach but I guess the more you go the better you get at reading the beaches. Do you ever going scuba diving and take the detector. I'm looking for someone to go do this with as I have the scuba gear and a underwater detector? :)

Any time spent swinging the detector is time well spent Jadenfair. I've never given scuba/detecting ago but anythings possible. It would be another untapped location as few people locally would be giving it ago. I'll hit another beach this afternoon and let you know how it goes! If you want to meet up and hit a location, just let me know!

Hi all. Just thought I'd give you an update on the latest detecting session at a local park I hit for the seventh time. (just proves you can't get it all in one go) I spend three hours on the E-trac and managed to pull out a total of 48 coins. They comprised of 11 Australian Penny's from 1916 to 1950, 22 Australian Half penny's from 1926 to 1954. A 1926 Australian Sixpence. A 1944 & 1948 Australian three pence and only 6 decimals! As we all know, the ground is very dry and bloody hard and I think that may have effected the signals as some were very erratic. We need some moisture to help with the contrast. This takes my total from this one park to 273 coins. I've still got some new areas to hit yet, but some areas I've hit every time still give up great stuff. Also I've been doing abit of beach work but as there's to much sand on the beach I'm only picking up the freshly dropped stuff. A good storm would help the beaches as well!. Happy Hunting everyone.

Well done Scoopa we shall have to meet up soon for a hunt before you clean out all the parks out in Newcastle :lol: I get a new roster this week so I'll be I touch soon .

That would be great Goldandsand. Anytime at the moment suits me. I've been concentrating on only two parks lately so there's still plenty out there!

1383644635_pb050004.jpg
1383644653_pb050005.jpg
1383644665_pb050008.jpg
1383644682_pb050011.jpg

I hope everyone had a great Melbourne Cup Day. I decided to hit one of Newcastle's Beaches as there appeared to have been a little sand removed. Still needs about another meter gone but that will come with a storm. Did pretty well on the spending money ($24.20) and a few surprises. The first photo is what I thought was an encrusted 20 cent piece. I started to clean away the crap and the second photo revealed the tell tale Emu of a florin! The last photo is of the initial clean with a date of 1946. With one more clean it should come up great. Just goes to prove what I've always said, "There's old coins on our beaches, we just need to get down to them". The third photo is of some of the other items found- toe ring, engraved ring with a stone and ear ring all marked 925 silver. A Tungsten mens ring, a gold coloured cross, and an American Dime dated 2000 with Denver "D" mint mark.

It's always a nice surprise to find a pre-decimal on the beach. I expect to find them in the parks, but that's my first florin on a beach.

Same here Scoopa, I thought most would just have corroded to nothing, some of the decimals I find are near half eaten.

Well done.

Latest posts