2013 finds - Scoopa

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made an early morning start at a local park with Goldandsand. It's always great to catch up with other forum members. We had some good finds but we couldn't find a silver coin between us for love or money! I managed to find four $2 coins. 14 two cents and four 1 cent coins. Ten pennys between 1936-64. Two half pennys (53,54). There were two other nice finds- a two ounce brass scale weight and a very nice 'Rising Sun' badge. We both found that our signals lacked definition and we put this down to the very sandy dry soil. Goldandsand had some great finds and I'm sure he'll update the forum members about them. Plans are already afoot for our next 'raid' with a number of targets in our sights. If any other local members want to catch up for a detect just drop me a line and we'll work something out. Good Luck and happy detecting.

1383698425_pb060002.jpg
1383698438_pb060003.jpg

Yeah I agree Heatho, I've found plenty of decimals that were eaten away, however most of the early silver coins I've found are pretty good. The photos are of the same coin after the final clean.

Well done mate on your success at the beach. That is a really good haul, you have just found the one thing I have been dying to find on the beach and that is the tungsten ring :eek: . Which beach did you find it at? the beach that I have most success is at Newcastle beach, but I haven't done the beaches in ages. well done again.
cheers Rob

Hi Rob. These items were found on Nobbys Beach. I don't think it matters which beach we hit in the Newcastle area, they're all getting plenty of attention.

Good find Scoopa!
What are you using to clean up your silver?
She was pretty crusty!

SF

I soak my silver coins in CLR clear for about 30mins (The florin took abit longer) then use bicard as a paste. A quick rub usually removes the crap and repeat if necessary. DO NOT USE ON COPPER ITEMS!

Thanks Scoopa , had a great morning with some interesting finds which I will try to post up tomorrow as I have not had a chance to take photos as yet . Some of the finds included a coin spill of 5 or 6 pennies with a half Penny a toy lead iron and some other bits and pieces .
Look forward to catching up again soon at spots Xy& Z after a bit more of a sleep :lol: G&S

Ya gotta be happier with the coppers rather than silver (decimal) anyway! Good onya guys...

PW-101 I wash my copper coins in detergent and water to remove the dirt. Dry them off. Then soak them in some home brand olive oil for a couple of days, wipe off the excess and that's it. The coins clean up well and have a nice shine which highlights the details. I hope this helps.

nice work!
I went out today and found a 1950 shilling, a 1 Vatu (Vanuatu coin), an English 2 Pence coin and about $21 in cash ($18 in $2 coins)

The extra virgin olive oil is good but it doesn't get into all the nooks and crannies of the coin.... Same, I wash them in hot soapy water first then I keep them in the oil for about a week, perhaps that's not long enough. There was another post (Forum -> Coin Shooting -> Recent Predecimal Finds)where they were talking about coin tumblers. I'm interested in trying this out on my none valuable pennies that I have pulled up from the ground, getting my hand's on one is a different story.
For my silvers I like to soak them in lemon juice for about an hour then gently rub bi-carb soda over the coins, afterward put them back into the lemon juice for a further hour and dry them off. They come up a treat! Apparently the lemon juice acts as a protection from tarnish or something similar.

SF

Latest posts