G'day

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PT73

PT
Reaction score
Just moved from the New England area (plenty of gold) to the NSW Central Coast (No gold!!!). Kids and I enjoy a fossick...now have to travel well over 2 hrs to get to gold country! Also do some detecting, yet to detect any nuggets, however we seem to have luck with old treasures and coins. We have found well over fifty pre decimal coins to date. My best find so far has been the front of a silver swiss pocket watch at Uralla (Guessing mid 1800's, as we found an 1853 penny next to it at the same depth), and my 13 yo son's best is a Gothic Florin from near Dorrigo. This coin was found in a cow paddock three inches down along with a sixpence, and two shillings, all in the same hole! Currently building a Walbanker. Will upload some pics soon.

Happy to be part of such a great community.

cheers

Arrr...I feel your pain, but its good that you have been able to turn to relic hunting...and some good finds at that!
Welcome to forum mate and I look forward to your Walbanker pics. :)

Thanks fellas for the warm welcome. Nearly there with the Walbanker Rusty, just sourcing some cable tray and expanded mesh. I think I will post some progress shots anyway.
cheers

It is a very warn coin, but still a Gothic Florin nevertheless . You have to be lucky to find just one silver pre-decimal, let alone four from the one target. I remember when my young fella dug em up I was quite some distance away and he yelled out "Dad, I've hit the mother load!".When I got there he was shaking with excitement. We were not even aware Gothic Florins existed. We thought we had three Victorian silver coins and some obscure European coin, maybe German?, as it had the large cross on it. After a clean up google assisted with identification. Was such a top day detecting.

Our coin collection is still packed away from our move, but I will try to post a pic down the track ok. Also, my son seems to think it too was dated 1853.

cheers Heatho.

cheers Andrew. I have a basic Garrett Ace 150 suped up with a large double d coil and I retrofitted a volume control because the darn thing was so loud. Serves me very well finding coins and other treasures. Oh, and I have a Garrett super sluice...love that pan!

PT73 said:
My best find so far has been the front of a silver swiss pocket watch at Uralla (Guessing mid 1800's, as we found an 1853 penny next to it at the same depth)

My son confirmed today that the penny found was in fact an 1897.

Latest posts