Cheap metal detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Marsupial said:
No worries mate :)
There are, undoubtedly, dodgy devices out there.
Brand names are great, if one can afford them. But bargains are also good - if one has done a bi of homework.

The only similarity between a Chinese copy of the detectors mentioned and the real thing is that the Chinese have copied the plastic housings very well. The internal electronics is just rubbish. There's no amount of homework you can do that will make a Chinese Garrett, Fisher, Teknetics clone work like the real thing, the copies are all junk.

It's misinformation to suggest that people can buy a Chinese copy with homework, because you're not getting anything close to the original other than it looks the same. Garrett, Fisher and Teknetics detectors are all made in the USA, they use custom chips, the designs of which are not trivial to copy.

When people read your comments and buy a Chinese piece of junk based on those comments they're going to end up having given money away to scammer. Is that what you want?

Cannot see anywhere that I said you were not civil, to me shooting down a reply means you have an answer for every question or issue put forward that leans towards your way of thinking. But hey thats just my way of thinking and I could be wrong. Have a great night

Cheers

FireandIce

Mike Marsupial said:
That's great! You've got a decent warranty. Peace of mind.
yes to me and a lot of other people it is peace of mind
i dont know of anyone that that can throw hard earned money away getting second rate gear that wont last or no one will fix/service it

Metal detecting is a self perpetuating hobby. My CTX 3030 has basically paid for itself and all the rest of my detectors. It's not a hobby you want to go the cheapest route with. I've found single targets that have paid for the CTX in one find. You really want to give yourself the best chance of doing well.

There is no way I would have done so well with junk equipment.

found some ]:D ]:D ]:D ]:D
1520757698_56.jpg

Mike Marsupial said:
This is going nowhere. It's not logical, it's not scientific, there are no case studies. It's probably best to end it here.

Yep, it is logical and scientific.

Chinese detectors that are copies of Garrett, Fisher or Teknetics do not have the same circuitry or electronics inside. Can't get much more scientific than that.

You suggested earlier that buying a brand name is not necessary, well that's your opinion and you're welcome to it. However, it would be irresponsible not to counter that with the fact that if you buy a Chinese copy detector then you're not even getting close to the same thing. Most of them don't work and those that do work are terrible.

Mike Marsupial said:
The cheapest ones possible. Buggered if I'm going to pay 5 or 6 grand for something that's really only worth a few hundred just so some Yank can get fat and rich!
Mike, mate.... I can sell you some money tree seeds... now they look a little like been seeds (if you've ever seen a been seed), after you've grown and harvested a crop you can launder it through your nearest friendly bikie gang member, or even a politi(but they'll want their cut).... but hey, no more money problems and you can buy whatever detector you want (heck, buy a dozen z'ds if ya feel like it) even a Chinese one. :D

The most important 'takeaway' from all this is that people are quite willing to pay for the 'peace of mind' and support that comes from a well known brand name. Fair enough.

Mike, everyone that I have spoken to here is genuine and has a lot of experience, some members have or have had MANY Detectors of different brands and capabilities, if you dont want to take their advice thats fine, no issue, the least you could do is accept that this knowlege can be valuable when purchasing a detector. After all, that is why this forum is great, a wealth of knowledge.

There is a reason the Chinese copies are $200 and its not because they are all worth that. Sure there might be a $100 Margin on a $800 detector at the shop, but you do get what you pay for and the components are 100% not identical/made in the same factory. Watch a video on how Garrett make their detectors. Its not in a chinese factory and its not all done by machines either.

I hope whatever decision you make you are happy with, as thats all that matters in the end.

Man, I have never had so many e-mails in my life!!!! This must be a touchy subject! In the last hour I have had 24 e-mails telling me that there were other posts on this thread (yes, I counted them).
I've been around the internet for a long time, and this is a record for me!

Look, at the end of the day, if paying shjtloads of money and getting a great warranty works for you, that's great!
Warranties are groovy!!

to me this is what is needed when spending money
Warranty
In contract law, a warranty has various meanings but generally means a guarantee or promise which provides assurance by one party to the other party that specific facts or conditions are true or will happen. This factual guarantee may be enforced regardless of materiality which allows for a legal remedy if that promise is not true or followed.
this is it for me on a post that is going around in circles
at the end of the day get what you feel is good for you and have fun that is all that matters

Mike Marsupial said:
No, I don't mean detecting Chinese, I mean detectors made in China.

Pretty much every piece of high tech gear people use these days uses components from China.
Most Nikon and Canon cameras are made 100% in China.
Fords, Holdens, Apple i crap, Toyotas, etc etc etc just wouldn't run at all without Chinese components (and assembly)

So what about mineral detection gear?
By mineral detection gear I assume you're after a gold detector?
If so you would be best served looking at the QED. Not only is it a capable detector but it is Australian made & serviced. It is also cheaper than some of the Chinese fake Minelabs that don't work to the advertised specs.
If you do some research on the GPX type Chinese copies or fakes (Chinelabs :lol:) you'll pretty much find that they are all sold with a cut & paste of Minelabs GPX specs. This is false & the fakes/copies are in breach of trademarks, copyright, patents etc. As such they are illegal to sell or own in Australia, although neither seems to be policed much, if at all.
Some of these are actually PI detectors & pretty close but don't have the firmware to function correctly i.e. won't ground balance etc. Others are no more than a VLF (usually 6.4khz from memory) internally but made to mimic the GPX visually. Even the external appearance isn't exactly the same & you can pick the fakes.
All the major companies would likely be using Chinese componentry & even certain big USA companies have disclaimers basically saying that they are made in the USA using USA parts "where possible". Some like Minelab are made overseas (Malaysia). I believe that one of the bigger USA manufacturers also has some models made overseas now. It doesn't mean that they are easily duplicated into a fully functional detector to the OEM specs.
Do your due diligence on the Chinese models but also research the model they are trying to rip off & what end user experiences with both have been. I think you'll find buying an original to be a better option than supporting an industry of below par rip off merchants! :N:

Latest posts