GM 1000 vs. Nokta Gold Kruzer vs. 24k

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there everyone, thank you for allowing me to join the forum. This is my first post. I am in Arizona, US and I am looking to purchase a metal detector to use to find small gold, flakes, and pickers in dry washes, old mine tailings, and over bedrock. I have access to a couple small washes and one massive wash (dry river) that are full of sand and smooth rocks. I am very eager to start scanning these for any gold that may be there. My budget it under $1k and for the last 3 yrs I had my mind set on the GM1000 and I have been trying to save for it, soon i will lose access to a couple washes so I am feeling like this is the time to purchase a good detector for smaller pieces of gold.. Well, a week ago I was doing more research and came across the more affordable, higher frequency, Nokta Gold Kruzer which is about $600USD on amazon. This is a lot more affordable than the $1k price tag for a GM.

I own a Garret Ace 300, never found gold nuggets with it, i think the ones that exist (if they do) in the washes may be too small for it. I own a garret (orange) pointer, and I also have Falcon MD20 pointer.

I like how simple the GM seems to be and have seen many YT videos with people using it to find tiny gold in the Arizona desert. I am new to the Nokota Kruzer and seeking your opinions on it, and if you would pick it over the GM.

A 3rd option is garrett goldmaster 24k, price-wise this falls between the Kruzer and GM. The frequency for 24k and GM is similar, while Kruzer has a higher frequency. I know it's not all about the frequency, but also the software, how well it discriminates and focuses on gold. My goal is gold pickers and small gold pickers or tiny nuggets.

The ground i am working is hot, lots black sand present and heavy mineralization, decomposing granite and quartz.

I know the Kruzer is more water proof, while i am in the desert now, this is a nice feature to have in case i end up using it in other locations with more water in the future. It's not a deal breaker or a must have, but a nice to have. If i ever go to a beach, i can use my Garret Ace for jewelry and coins (but not gold nuggets).

My main goal is to scan the washes i have access to for any small gold that I can pick with tweezers or my fingers, AND to find if there is gold in rocks such as tailings from a mine or rocks i find near a gold producing district .. I have collected quarts samples that look promising, and my Falcon MD20 seems to indicate something is in them though i think the Falcon MD20 is too sensitive, while the Garret pointer isnt sensitive enough for the kind gold i am looking for in the washes.. small pickers (not gold dust). I will use a small coil.

Thank you very much

Last edited:
I have a Gold Kruzer and have used a GM1000.

With the 7.5x4.5DD coil the Gold Kruzer will find anything that a GM will and it handles mineralisation better. It is also more adjustable so as you get more experience it grows with you. GM is set and forget which is nice at times but frustrating at others. Gold Kruzer will also do parks etc really well whilst GM not so appropriate.

Hi Teacup,

I have owned a Gold Monster and although it is easy to use, there is almost not enough control available which XLOOX suggested also.

Have not used a 24K or Kruzer but I do see a lot of the Americans raving about the 24 K. Aureous on DP forum is an Australian who also suggests it works really well in Oz too.

I hope this link works. It should show all of the threads on DP forum that have a 24K tag. https://www.detectorprospector.com/tags/24k gmx/

And a search for PA. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/search/606622/?q=garrett+goldmaster+24K&o=relevance

Garrett machines are quite a bit more expensive here than in the US which I think is why there are a lot more US based threads (and that it is an American company).

Cheers, N.E.

gold kruzer teacup
i use it in highly mineralised soils here ,the only time it gets a bit to chatty is with very wet mineralise soils
but saying you wish to pick up small gold with your fingers or tweezers
i would suggest to get a gold pan as well the kruzer picks up fly shite
a little piece found 2inches deep in white pipe clay
20230319_134454.jpg

gold kruzer teacup
i use it in highly mineralised soils here ,the only time it gets a bit to chatty is with very wet mineralise soils
but saying you wish to pick up small gold with your fingers or tweezers
i would suggest to get a gold pan as well the kruzer picks up fly shite
a little piece found 2inches deep in white pipe clay

Thank you Sand Surfer, Have you used the Nokta Legend, do you know how the Kruzer compares to the Legend, for small gold?

Thank you!

yes i have a legend but i have not had a chance to do a field comparison

the test pieces at home the kruzer has the edge on the small stuff

your choice of machine depends on how small you want to go
that piece in the pan
the kruzer signal was very strong on it in the hole and the same out of the hole but we could not find it until we panned it off at home out of the just moist pipe clay

Last edited:
yes i have a legend but i have not had a chance to do a field comparison

the test pieces at home the kruzer has the edge on the small stuff

your choice of machine depends on how small you want to go
that piece in the pan
the kruzer signal was very strong on it in the hole and the same out of the hole but we could not find it until we panned it off at home out of the just moist pipe clay

Thank you - Do the multi frequency machines, like the legend, do better in mineralized soil conditions? while high single frequency like Kruzer can have trouble with the mineralization?

Thank you - Do the multi frequency machines, like the legend, do better in mineralized soil conditions? while high single frequency like Kruzer can have trouble with the mineralization?
All VLF machines have trouble with higher mineralisation, so the advantages of the multi-frequency ones aren't in coping better with it. Multi-frequency advantages lie in their more accurate discrimination between trash and target signals, enabling informative digital display of target ID, plus their ability to cope with salinity when searching in or near salt water.

I bought a Tandy special back in the 90s. First time out I found a bag of old coins on my property out near Ophir. I also got a signal on a quartz reef....alas I didn't dig the ground as it was deep. I've found gold with all types of detectors. If the gold is there, you'll find it. I've got a Nokta Gold Racer, easy to use and good all round detector.

Latest posts