Cheap metal detectors

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't want to start an argument (i have run out of popcorn) BUT
I had an old boss once that always said "buy cheep get cheep when they break don't try and get the fixed"
my question to you is if it stops working where do you intend to get it fixed
my understanding is minelab will not touch clones i could be wrong but thats what i have been told

Mike Marsupial said:
No, I don't mean detecting Chinese, I mean detectors made in China.

Pretty much every piece of high tech gear people use these days uses components from China.
Most Nikon and Canon cameras are made 100% in China.
Fords, Holdens, Apple i crap, Toyotas, etc etc etc just wouldn't run at all without Chinese components (and assembly)

So what about mineral detection gear?

I've never seen a Chinese produced detector that is any good and people bring them to me all the time for advice.

The main breed seem to be Garrett ACE shaped detectors that are also sold as ACE counterfeits.

I've also seen plenty of fake Fisher and Teknetics detectors sourced from China, they're junk.

All the counterfeit detectors are sold under different Chinese brand names and you'll find hundreds of them on eBay.

lololol Mate, most are EXACTLY the same product with different branding! The coils are a different matter.

Anyway, I can understand that people want to 'play it safe'. But crikeys, the cost of 'playing it safe' is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!

Mike Marsupial said:
Are they copies or are they EXACTLY the same product with different branding?

They look the same but they definitely don't work the same. Got to feel sorry for anyone that buys a copy and expects the performace of the brand that was coppied.

Always buy from a reputable source and don't buy a knock off. There are plenty of decent budget detectors from quality manufacturers.

Mike Marsupial said:
Are they copies or are they EXACTLY the same product with different branding?
to me they are made with second rate electronics
done in back yard factories poorly put together and just enough to work for a while then crap out
sorry you wont convince me otherwise i have been overseas and around enough to know what they get up to and how they do it

Mike Marsupial said:
lololol Mate, most are EXACTLY the same product with different branding! The coils are a different matter.

Anyway, I can understand that people want to 'play it safe'. But crikeys, the cost of 'playing it safe' is OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!

Mike, you buy one and let the forum know how you go with it, I'm sure we'll all be very interested. :D :Y:

The cheapest ones possible. Buggered if I'm going to pay 5 or 6 grand for something that's really only worth a few hundred just so some Yank can get fat and rich!

Mike Marsupial said:
Mate, they are out of the same factories most of the time! lolololol

Garrett is made in the USA, Minelab in Aus and Europe. Definately not the same factory.

Go amd buy a Chinese pin pointer from Jaycar for $60 and compare it to a $250 Garrett, you will quickly see the difference.

Mike Marsupial said:
The cheapest ones possible. Buggered if I'm going to pay 5 or 6 grand for something that's really only worth a few hundred just so some Yank can get fat and rich!

Anyway, when it comes time to say "we told you so", don't hold it against anyone that gave you good advice. :lol: :Y:

I won't hold anything against anyone. I spent the best part of two decades helping Japanese engineers get stuff made in Chinese factories.

Mike Marsupial said:
I won't hold anything against anyone. I spent the best part of two decades helping Japanese engineers get stuff made in Chinese factories.

No worries mate, though we just like to look after other members here and steer them away from making mistakes. Whichever chinese copy you decide to buy please write a review, as I said we'll all be interested.

No worries mate :)
There are, undoubtedly, dodgy devices out there.
Brand names are great, if one can afford them. But bargains are also good - if one has done a bi of homework.

Mike Marsupial said:

No they are NOT the same.

None of the above mentioned products are made in China, they are all made in the USA.

i spent $600.00 on a Ace 400i the other day
yes i could have got a clone for around $200.00 that SAID it done all the same things
but if this one breaks down i know i can get it fixed by the company no questions asked
the cheaper one would end up in the bin so to me its a waste of money

You did post the question asking for opinions so shooting down peoples replies that you don't want to hear IMO is a bit rude. I am only a new member here but value the advice of the more experienced members and would take that advice and do some research before I purchased anything. The knowledge and experience these guys have is invaluable Your choice in the end but its always good to be well informed before making a decision :)

Cheers

FireandIce

Latest posts