GP Extreme coils

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markgoldhunter

mark johnston
Reaction score
hi all, a friend of mine has just picked up a gp extreme and was asking me about mono coils that would be suitable for this very capable machine, it has a 5 pin coil plug but they only came with dd coils. I am in the dark as I still only run my 4500. Thankyou for any responses as I am sure plenty of contributors on this forum must have run this model at times. Cheers mark.

Mono coils will run on the Extreme but it's probably best to borrow some before buying & do some testing.
The mono coils were supposed to be run in Normal on the Rx switch. Normal was the "DD" switch for the stock coils & using E (Enhance) was to give a pseudo mono type setting while using a DD coil.
This confused some people & others preferred running monos in E anyway.
Nenad explains it better here:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ps-settings-questions.9071/page-2#post-134311
Bottom line is they will work but will require a bit of coil & settings testing to get something that will suit him + the area used.
I have seen the ellipticals (14x7 or 14x9) recommended in NF Advantage & Coiltek Goldstalker + Blitz coils.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your responses, I new there would be some good information come through. Great forum. Cheers Mark.

Unless it is very mild ground, you generally want to stay away from the newer flat/spiral wound coils on the GP extreme. Detech 8" mono is a good one if he wants to improve performance on small targets. Minelab 15x12" Commander is another good smooth mono. NF advantage series also work well. If the ground is highly mineralised though, DD coils are the go.

Latest posts