Return after 3 year Break

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Morning my name is Liz and I am from South Australiaa. I had been metal detecting since some time in 2019 but had a 3 year hiatus that i am now able to put behind me and have been back active over the last 3-4 weeks. Just before my hiatus I bought a Nox 800 and had been having some minor success enough to keep me comming back. Being back into it over the last few weeks has been fun with most of what I had learned still intact which it pretty good for an older gal like me. I am getting my beach stamina back, although it does seem much harder this time round. 😁 I finally relented and paid good money for a sand scoop...but thats a story for another post suffice to say I now understand why people are so satisfied with them...First time out with it, first target, 1 scoop, = Ring (cheapy, but a rings a ring?? hahaha🤣)

Anyway I look forward to getting to know you all and may even having a swing with anyone who wants company...Oh I am in Adelaide in case anyone was wondering

Hiya Liz and welcome aboard the good ship PA!

Sand scoops are definitely the go, particularly if mounted on a long pole. That way you can let your legs do the hard digging work. Good luck on those SA beaches - you've got an excellent detector for the job, now let's see some fresh treasure!

Welcome Liz.... I’m also in Adelaide and mainly beach hunt between Henley and Seacliff as I live in Hallett Cove. Hot summer weather has finally kicked in and the crowds are flocking to the beaches in numbers at last. Consequently there have been slim pickings to this point ( for me anyway), so now we just need to get some wind and tidal sand movement and things should look up.
I don’t know if you’re north or south of town, but if you’re southside and we happen to cross paths on the sand I’ll introduce myself.
Cheers Adrian.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou for such a warm welcome. Its good to be back in the freh air swinging the detector.

@OzzieAu I am in the South, Hallett Cove/trott park area....Between Henley and Seacliff gives you quite a large variety of beach....I tend to do Brighton Beach and then South as far as Victor....But to be honest I am not that fussy about the "where" and will detect anywhere given the oppertunity. Please do introduce yourself but my memory tells me in all the hours I have put in wandering around the beach and related dunes I have never even come across another detectorist so to meet another would be a pleasant first!!

Looks like we’re practically neighbours then.
Actually I was at Brighton today looking to take take advantage of the crowds that were there yesterday for the Maraliyn jetty swim. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-04/marilyn-monroe-lookalikes-make-a-splash-in-adelaide/103425556
My first target was a lovely jewel encrusted sterling chain and pendant, what a start I thought.....then I saw an elderly lady not far from me scraping away at the sand obviously looking for something. As I walked past her swinging away, I yelled “lost something?” She replies, no but my daughter lost an expensive silver and diamond pendant somewhere around here yesterday.
Wow, I said, that’s a shame, can you describe it.
Well to a tee she describes my first find of the day!
I reach into my bag and say..... would this be it ?
Well you’ve got no idea how ballistic with joy she went when she latched eyes on it...... made my day that did.
I only scored a couple of junker rings and a few Goldie’s after that, but I still went home with a smile on me dial☺️
As a postscript to this yarn, the same lady tracked me down further up the beach and slipped me a couple of crisp new notes from the nearest atm...... happy days 😃

Liz, once you get 10 posts up you will be able to use the PM function to send messages.
Cheers.

Actually I was at Brighton today looking to take take advantage of the crowds that were there yesterday for the Maraliyn jetty swim. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-04/marilyn-monroe-lookalikes-make-a-splash-in-adelaide/103425556
My first target was a lovely jewel encrusted sterling chain and pendant, what a start I thought.....then I saw an elderly lady not far from me scraping away at the sand obviously looking for something. As I walked past her swinging away, I yelled “lost something?” She replies, no but my daughter lost an expensive silver and diamond pendant somewhere around here yesterday.
Well you’ve got no idea how ballistic with joy she went when she latched eyes on it...... made my day that did.
I only scored a couple of junker rings and a few Goldie’s after that, but I still went home with a smile on me dial☺️
As a postscript to this yarn, the same lady tracked me down further up the beach and slipped me a couple of crisp new notes from the nearest atm...... happy days 😃

Liz, once you get 10 posts up you will be able to use the PM function to send messages.
Cheers.
How goods that!
Your a good man Ozzie. 👍

Cheers.
Oh how loverly I can only imagine how happy they were and you got something in return that I have never found....folding!! I was at Seacliff yesterday where I manged to break my lugs off my Nox 800 coil. I have a repair on the way but dang if thats not dissapointing. I am out of warranty (of course LOL) but thats life I have only just returned to detecting after having to stop about 18mths ago but if I have been able to contiune detecting for another week instead of having to stop it would have most likly broken under warranty...Murphy's Law!! I ended up with just junk not even a goldie from that search. Sounds like I will see you on the beach.

Sorry to hear about your coil ears breaking (a common issue with Nox coils). Do you deal through Nenad aka PhaseTech on here.
He’s a Minelab agent and lives in Shiedow Pk. He is great at dealing with issues like these and local to both of us.
For me I consider myself fortunate to be able to do my detecting purchasing through him.

Sorry to hear about your coil ears breaking (a common issue with Nox coils). Do you deal through Nenad aka PhaseTech on here.
He’s a Minelab agent and lives in Shiedow Pk. He is great at dealing with issues like these and local to both of us.
For me I consider myself fortunate to be able to do my detecting purchasing through him.
You know I may have bought stuff off him in the past past and after checking it would seem I bought a new Xpointer off him a couple of years ago...I checked with minelabs and my coil was out of warranty in August 22 I am not sure what else I can do. All I can say is that had I not been forced to stop when I did the coil would have broken under warranty but because I had to take a longish break ( That story is a bit of tear jerker and maybe not for here) I finally did return about 3-4 weeks ago and have maybe put 12 hrs hrs on it since my return....At this stage I have opted for a repair sleeve but its only a temporary fix "kicking the can" a few months down the track. I don't know what I will do when it breaks again which is why I am considering the 6" coil which will help me in very trashy area's. it's lighter and will serve me well in many of the area's I detect.

Open to Suggestions, if you have any...

You know I may have bought stuff off him in the past past and after checking it would seem I bought a new Xpointer off him a couple of years ago...I checked with minelabs and my coil was out of warranty in August 22 I am not sure what else I can do. All I can say is that had I not been forced to stop when I did the coil would have broken under warranty but because I had to take a longish break ( That story is a bit of tear jerker and maybe not for here) I finally did return about 3-4 weeks ago and have maybe put 12 hrs hrs on it since my return....At this stage I have opted for a repair sleeve but its only a temporary fix "kicking the can" a few months down the track. I don't know what I will do when it breaks again which is why I am considering the 6" coil which will help me in very trashy area's. it's lighter and will serve me well in many of the area's I detect.

Find a nice thick chunky 18 Carat ring..... should solve the prob :)

Find a nice thick chunky 18 Carat ring..... should solve the prob :)
Ohhh heck yes...I find rings but every one of them have been junk buit I always tell myself It just means IO am one closer to finding that payday lol

I england ebay they sell a coil support strengthing bracket makes the coil more stronger from breaking

Latest posts