12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well guys as promised by m.g. my little nugget arrived today (my prize in the guessing comp. that he ran on you tube). what a great bloke his knowledge and generosity in a field that is traditionally very closed shop is amazing we are all very fortunate to have a friend who is so open with his advice. thank you m.g.

Allways Looking said:
Hey we were neighbours :Y:
I got a sister that lives in Frederick MD
Where are you located in Melbourne ?
I am in Thomastown :cool: :cool: :cool:
I'm north of Melbourne, in Maryborough.

aussiefarmer said:
Allways Looking said:
Hey Patrick 1
Where are u from in the States :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am from Virginia ;) ;) ;) ;)
Were all from virginia .......oppppps spell check :8 maybe not one i off it pmsl :lol: long island ice T :rolleyes: give it a crack
I will pay that one AF :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hi MG
Same as everyone here - love your posts.

Have you ever detected in NSW? If yes where and any comments?

Neil

Yummy, that looks like dinner to me. Well years ago it would have been. My dad would have takin one and we would have eaten for a week. Yep I know it sounds like a thousand years ago but it was in the 60,s during a long strike. We ended up eating galahs and rabbits.
However, that is a beautiful photo and I can feel the peace and tranquility.
Thanks for sharing.
Mackka

Hello All,

Dear MG,

From your earlier post detailing examples of optional settings, I have a question about the very slow motion setting.

My question is;

If I am using very slow motion should I consider adjusting the tracking from factory preset medium to slow track?

I am not wondering about using very slow motion; but is it that the tracking could be adjusted into 'slow track' also?

My thought is that tracking is for managing changing ground conditions, whereas choosing a small defined area to detect thoroughly, might this be beneficial?

I thought it could be an assist as the two might become aligned under slow operation for both.

Thank you.

stevewilko said:
Hello All,

Dear MG,

From your earlier post detailing examples of optional settings, I have a question about the very slow motion setting.

My question is;

If I am using very slow motion should I consider adjusting the tracking from factory preset medium to slow track?

I am not wondering about using very slow motion; but is it that the tracking could be adjusted into 'slow track' also?

My thought is that tracking is for managing changing ground conditions, whereas choosing a small defined area to detect thoroughly, might this be beneficial?

I thought it could be an assist as the two might become aligned under slow operation for both.

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

To answer these questions, I always have my detector in fixed mode and ground balance often as needed, tracking with V Slow doesnt mean anything. Tracking speed only comes into affect when I GB with the quick trek button. Operating in tracking mode slow, medium or a fast track can lose depth or even track out a very faint signal.

Motion will affect the stability it can be set to slow or medium but the further up you will notice the audio changes to more of a chatter so to speak.

Hope that helps

Any area you can detect in a fixed operating mode would be my preference over operating in tracking.

Hi MG,

I've not been on the forum much lately or out detecting as life has been busy of late but just got onto your Youtube channel and starting to get through some the videos, great viewing and it's got me keen to find some time to get out in the bush again, got some catching up to do on the forum as well but just wanted to say well done with the vid's, lots to learn and great way to spend the past few nights viewing.

Cheers,
Pete.

Hi Pete,

Thats fantastic mate, hope you enjoy them should be some good content all throughout. Also great if they can inspire, always gets us keen when we see gold being unearthed, or even just the pure enjoyment in the fields. Its good showing various techniques and ways to approach the fields.

Many operators as you know its a hobby where we are never really detecting side by side with another operator, always on our own mission battling through the fields. Showing some people how I approach the fields and even the simple things like move some sticks or rocks or even swing speed and ground coverage, can even help those who find it hard. Many new operators and even ones who have been detecting for a while still question themselves on many things, style, technique, machine and ground reading abilities. If they can see or change even a few things they may be doing wrong can mean a lot when they are out on the hunt. And not being side by side with another operator obviously they dont get to pick up anything they may be doing a little wrong.

If even one video can help one person with something then its all worth the efforts, I remember in my early days I always questioned why can others find gold but it feels so hard for me to find it, I often repeat myself all throughout the thread here and even on the Vids only because repetitive work makes the point sink in a lot faster for those reading watching and continually staying up to date with the posts, thread, vids etc. So after I questioned myself in my early days, why are they finding it often and not me, thats when I changed things drastically. What am I doing wrong, so lets go back in historical data and find out why, whats the difference between these pro operators, they have the same machine, same coils, also detecting in the same area GT Vic, so why are they and not me whats the problem.

As we all know too well its not the machine but it was my strategy and the grounds, if you can increase your strategy it will perform better. As for the grounds no data was available for me in my early days except the general gold maps which are nothing new we all know there is plenty of gold in Vic GT - so thats when I started to think about how they found it. Bottom line is, it is time. The more time we spend the easier it becomes. The more ground we cover the closer we get

So after I studied those things from historical data I then went a step further and created my own data which is not available anywhere, I guess thats how the old timers become so good because they studied the lands and the grounds only by time and efforts on their journey. Took them 70 years to find it and then the gold rush kicked in.

Thanks for the feedback and we are always learning as we go,

Cheers M.G

Well that was an exciting 2 late hours out in the fields, what an absolute adventure hah not at all. But the full moon views on the way home were pretty amazing as it shined through the tree lines as I ventured back.

Let me tell you my adventures, firstly I was filming some alluvial stuff to get this vid together and as I ventured out further to another location where I havent detected much of recent, maybe only a handful of times in 15 years. The reason I went to this spot was again to capture some more video footage, so why not get the machine out and swing for 2 hours before sun down.

Well after filming I fired up the machine and hit a big piece of rust about 2 feet down, I continued further up the gully hill side right where the workings are spread across the gully sides and continued to work further up towards the shallow grounds, well there we go 2 targets in a mullock heap and guess what it was gold. Both targets

The sun was down and normally I finish within half hour but I pushed a little more, time to call it a day and I ventured back to the vehicle and took my gear off as normal, detecting gear that is. And as I reached into my front left pocket - Oh no where the hell are the car keys. Front right nope back pockets nope.

First thing I thought either in the back of the car or ignition - well what can I see through the window dangling in the ignition. Whoops no phone either its also in the car, I was only out for that short time and damn it was a first not to have a communication device. And guess what I was 8.6kms from my home and thats a straight line, nothing more I could do except get the legs working, I left at roughly 8:45 pm and made it home at 9:55pm, fell over once and had to laugh at that one hah - luckily I had the bottle of water. Rustling in the bush every so often and wasnt sure if I was going to get attacked by something, Smiles all the way home and shaking my head often - you bloody idiot.

Didnt even have my torch otherwise I would have just found some fencing wire and simply got in to the car.

And yeah as the moon came up the views were pretty amazing in some spots as I walked through the bush tracks.

Good thing is got a nice couple of targets and some excellent video footage. After I get back out shortly to unlock the vehicle I will get together todays finds a bit later and post them up.

Joys of life. Thats twice in a lifetime I have locked keys in a car.

Cheers M.G

It must time for you to up grade your wheels :) :) :) :) :)
To something with remote central locking :Y: :Y: :Y:
Just use some of the millions of tons of your gold :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

madhatter said:
Hey MG :D
So... seems you are human after all!! :lol: :D

Not the best ending to your trip but a great reason to get back there and pick up your car ;) ;) Might as well have a swing while your there ]:D

I'm looking forward to the video when its finished!!!!

Hi MH,

Yeah thats right, if you need to know I also have red blood ;) Hah

I wish I wasnt human mate, certainly feeling it in the legs today after that effort.

limpalot said:
Got to have a spare key stashed.

Thats correct Limpalot - I have a spare master key stashed for any vehicle - good old packing tape. I just couldnt see anything because it was too dark.

All good though - another lesson learned, you know that feeling you have when you do something and you sort of pause for a moment, thats what it was like when I closed the hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts