12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Pete,

Thanks mate, yeah seems the pick is becoming a really good talking point on its ventures with me. Yeah they are nice pieces, Bro no good found a junk pile of an old broken up rusty can which was deteriorated and spread across the ground where he was looking.

I was thinking the same thing maybe a dog could help dig, it was funny when he walked past the coil and the collar sent the machine off. Was not expecting that at all

Thanks again - and glad you enjoyed the Vid

M.G

A couple of beautiful little pieces there MG .......again. I'd be wrapt to get that in a week :) .

If I could ask ......would you share your general settings that you're running on the 4500 as I use the same 'tector & Elite coil as you & I would kill to have it purring away as quietly as yours does.
Also I think we should pass the hat around so you can buy a cheap, lightweight tripod for your camera (hint hint).
Your youtube clips really look sharp now & you have the music & audio just right but if you could mount the camera a bit higher we'd see more & your voice would be louder too.

Just a suggestion & request thanks mate.

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that feedback champ, really appreciate it. I have a lightweight tripod already, I will look to take it out with me to get some better angles. Maybe even get a gorillapod which is great for attaching to objects like tree branches, it will lift the camera up about 1 foot from the ground and fit nicely in my backpack. Food for thought

I guess the image quality sometimes becomes difficult for varying monitors/screens, I only just noticed I have been color grading with my brightness on the laptop turned all the way down, and when I adjusted it to its maximum display brightness I noticed some clips now are flooded with white.

Same as sound quality with varying speakers, laptop speakers, PC etc. When I edit the sound I use the Dre Beats Headphones which are exceptional sound quality headphones and have excellent lows mids and highs. Took a bit in the early vids to get the sound levels to where it was blended nice - great stuff I will look into those suggestions for sure.

As for my settings again its the same story out in the fields on any given day you may have great settings which work today but not tomorrow in the exact same area, depending on weather, EMI etc - I always adjust as needed on every outing. My base setting though for mild to hotter grounds, now this is another test that I have done I found the following settings tests - if you can cope with ground noise which I can only because of the many years hearing the GP3000 and 3500 chatter away to me on a daily all the little analogue sounds, having the 4500 dialed up and receiving that large ground noise or chatter becomes easier.

Again if it is chattering away I always inspect the same spot that I get that change in threshold just to be sure it is chatter and not a target, I am constantly covering the grounds when I sweep side side forward back move on, not just swing move forwards swing move forwards and so on, I cover the grounds very thorough always thinking to myself that there is gold everywhere under my coil but I just need to get that little break.

Enhance Quiet Mode Test Signal not as solid on response

Threshold around 12:30 to 1:00
General
Enhance
Mono

Motion V Slow
RX 13
Stab 9 to 11
Audio Quiet
Volume levels for all 16

This above test proved to get deeper signal response but less solid on the response so you need to be a bit more focused for the reduction in signal, especially for subs at depth, compared to the following which is my base setting and I adjust from there as needed, again depending on day either up or down gain and stab.

Enhance Test Signal more responsive but can be susceptible to more EMI / Chatter

General
Enhance
Mono

Motion V Slow
RX 11
Stab 9
Audio Normal
Volume levels for all 16

Normal Mode Again this depends on the grounds types, whether I come into benign grounds and I can juice it to maximum performance and when you start to get near mineralized ground it certainly starts to tell you. If its mild I can work through with this setting because I am use to ground noise vs target response - but you can reduce your gain to handle the grounds a bit better - hot grounds forget it Enhance quiet is excellent in these area's or switch to DD, some area I can work all day in Normal juiced up because they are very low mineral area's and others just need to get the best setting for depth stability and sensitivity and I found Enhance can get great results in these area's using the Mono - Enhance gets better sensitivity to smaller gold where Normal was missing it, but as you know gold at depth Normal will smash Enhance out of the park.

General
Normal
Mono

Motion V Slow
RX 12
Stab 10
Audio Normal
Volume levels for all 16

Custom Mode I have these setup so when I go from a benign soil type to start to hit the edge of a low to mild mineral area I flick over to this setting just to dull it down which is not a big step down handles the grounds better and gets way deeper than Enhance and again if it is Mild to Above switch over to Enhance Juiced Mode, then if really needed the Enhance Dull Audio Juiced to handle Hot Grounds or DD

General
Normal
Mono

Motion V Slow
RX 9
Stab 8
Audio Normal
Volume levels for all 16

With my settings and strategy obviously it doesnt fit everyones approach, it works for me and proves results. I dont walk 2km in the hunt and work my spots very well in that mode - nothing worse than walking even 100 meters and having forever changing grounds because the depths change under our feet, nice and low mineral and all of a sudden a hot spot pops up 1 foot deep or even surface hot spots. Thats why I would rather work sections and understand the ground changes better - I pick my spot in the area and work it - may only be a 10 meter wide by 20 meter long area and it can take hours to cover it consistently, especially if the area is dense.

Thats with the 14" Elite - there are so many settings I use to get maximum for each coil for its intended purpose, 11" more sensitive and 17x11" for the Deeper Normal Below mild settings, and then 18" DD if I find a hot area with deeper gold or even the 15" Detech

Anyway I hope that helps - as long as your machine is not too dull and handles the grounds

Regards M.G

WOW :eek:
Need he say anymore?? ]:D

You are an awesome bloke MG!! :)

Such an in-depth and thoroughly explained outlay of your settings and your approach to detecting in general :Y: :Y:
If I had a 4500 I would be stoked with all that info!!!! :party:

Hi Lads,

Just thought to share these images I took today or I should say yesterday it was, serenity does wonders.

Captured In Time Moment captured in time and will never be lost.

1488891710_captured_in_time.jpg

1488891710_captured_in_time_2.jpg

Enjoy

aussiefarmer said:
Excellent information :Y: ,
But the big question is how do you get the luck ?
Is it a favorite pair of jocks ?
Maybe you sacrifice a gold fish ?
Or is it just the good calma that comes with being so open to helping others ?

:) :Y: ;)

Hi AF, I will try to answer your questions

1. But the big question is how do you get the luck ? I dont think its luck, hard to say as everyone gets their windows different and how they approach the fields on every aspect, setting the foundations from the start can be a bit hard for some - as we know, many operators either have time to get out or are extremely limited and can only get out a few times a year even. Obviously your odds will be better the more you can get out, helps to ascertain the gold area's a lot quicker. When I say gold area's we all know the major gold area's, but its the constant hunt for the ones that were missed and how to read for potential increase on finds in your newly discovered window. I could write for hours on this one - I dont think its luck just a lot of real estate covered in the early days. And have many windows where I still get gold often

2. Is it a favorite pair of jocks ? Nah not at all - but then again I haven't changed them for a couple of years. :cool:

3. Maybe you sacrifice a gold fish ? I have a ritual that I always do but it doesn't involve sacrificing a Gold Fish

4. Or is it just the good calma that comes with being so open to helping others ? I believe and always have that helping others goes a very long way in life, obviously their are limits as we get older and we learn from our mistakes of being too generous, lending things to others, loaning money to people - so many times you never see that item again or that person moves away never to be heard from again.

Confidence and Determination - so many words can go into the approach on everything. I also mentioned to the group members on our days out in the fields, and also provided them with my own personal literature, of course we have set backs but failure is never an option. With me in the fields, even a little piece of rust or a buck shot, its not a failure but it is a positive because it means you found it and no one else has. Always maintaining that positive approach and most times I tell myself its probably rust or lead and when its gold well yeah it boosts up a bit, sometimes there are those moments where we just know or at least 51% sure that it is gold. The more we convince ourselves that every target is gold or it has to be gold usually ends in frustration and bad results.

Also repetitive work helps newcomers and even long time veterans who find it hard to get to the top of the circle again, sometimes habits just change gradually over time without noticing and need to be refreshed. Its similar to muscle memory, the more repetitive work we do or things we read starts to become clearer when we action it. So sometimes I just keep repeating these things in my posts or on the YT vids, over time viewers and readers will begin to remember, much like if we get told a phone number we will forget pretty quickly unless we write it down, so if you say the number three times in a row more than likely we will retain the information longer.

Anyway hope that helps, just between us it hasn't been a couple of years ]:D

Was going to say MG that's why the fly's love you mate lol .Just following up on the thread , I was lucky enough and did a day training with MG and his brother another great guy ,had a great day and l got a lot of information from it but it has taken me awhile to actually change what I was doing in the field ,and in the past month I have been really making an effort to change the way I detect ,as to my swing ,investigating the area before I go out, and when I get there leave the detector in the car and go for a walk and work out where and why I am going to swing there, take a look at the ground the way it runs ,why did the old timers dig there and not there ,the gullys what was feeding the gully where did it come from ,look at the reefs which way is it shedding,the hose rock ,how deep is the gravel wash ,dig a hole see the make up of the deposits then back to the car have a coffee and a smoke work out my plan of attack switch on the positive switch in the head and away I go, over the past two weeks I have found more gold than I did all last year go,s to show a little change can make a big difference .S**T sound like MG lol , but as Mg always says dig everything and have a plan of attach look at the way you do things and the results will come ,for instance I was out yesterday got three pieces not big but still gold one piece was actually in another guys hole go figure ,he had I am assuming put it down to hot rocks which there were heaps I heard the signal thought why did you leave that ??? dug maybe two inches deeper and a nice 1.3gr nugget ,well he mist it and I didn't its mine now lol a few months ago I would have said s*** he tossed it back in the hole and left it BUT NO NOW lol DIG EVERY TARGET. Thanks MG for all the info that has made a change in my ways .By the way absolutely brilliant pictures of a sunset mate makes you glad to be alive .Cheers PP

You're amazing man :Y: :Y: :Y: :Y:

Seriously you are wasting your life chasing gold.
You should be an inspirational speaker or producing & directing doco's or a politian........ nah I get the impression you're much to honest for that.
With your attitude to life you could do or be what ever you want mate. I don't know how old you are but from your YT clips I get the feeling from your voice you are a lot younger than you should be......... judging from the wisdom you extoll on this forum......a wise old head on young shoulders.
Anyway thanks for the settings ...... I'll be printing & laminating them & they'll accompany me out onto the gold fields next week when I get away for my first swing for OVER a year.

Rob.

Hi Pete,

That is fantastic mate, takes a bit to start to sink in but now you have a lot more added to your approach just from reading and constantly putting yourself in the fields. Im glad that something that I done has helped in your systematic approach both on and off the fields on the hunt for the good stuff.

Regards M.G

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your kind words mate, really means a lot. Chasing Gold makes me very happy, and I feel life is about health and happiness before anything else and obviously family is next because if we arent healthy we obviously wouldnt be too happy so Family is very important. As for wealth, we are all wealthy in our own ways having all of the above makes me just that.

I have taken my detecting to another level by adding the video documenting so its a lot more enjoyable, especially out the bush as you know can be a bit lonely as we venture out on the hunt, by adding the filming and video it is ticking those other boxes to add inspiration to those who find it hard, or even those who want to sit back and watch some good finds with some explanations in between. I get many messages from the States saying how they are in winter and snowed in and they love watching my vids because it gets them excited for when their winter has past.

Obviously the peaceful surroundings is absolutely great but everyday can be a bit much, so thats why I break it up a fair bit in between and change area's every week or so. Might need to get back out to the hole of gold area to see what day 40 can bring.

So I think I covered most on that, hunting gold makes me happy, adding inspiration in the Vids and Producing them sort of like a Doco, I have something special on the cards but I cant say too much.

As for politician - Ouch definitely way way too honest to be one of those.

I have always thought that as well in life, we can be what ever we want and success is available to everyone, we just have to want it and take it. I think you would be astonished if I wrote a list of accomplishments. Wisdom came from a very young age with such a great upbringing, having a father as my best friend was pretty amazing really.

Thats great hopefully you can get the machine humming just nicely, a few tweaks in field. Enjoy and happy hunting after some time away.

Regards M.G

Hey we were neighbours :Y:
I got a sister that lives in Frederick MD
Where are you located in Melbourne ?
I am in Thomastown :cool: :cool: :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts