12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done on the winning of the coil mate, and its already found gold s*** you are a magnet lol . think I will have to do that refresher day book me in lol good on ya .PP

Pirate pete said:
Well done on the winning of the coil mate, and its already found gold s*** you are a magnet lol . think I will have to do that refresher day book me in lol good on ya .PP

Thanks Pete,

Yeah it was a good surprise.

Got the vid with yesterdays finds all up on the tube guys.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv5oE31Me0MK-p7tkhRhjMw

Roughly half hour vid, some explanations with targets along the way.

By the way the 5 cent piece I found yesterday was dated 1970 - 4 years after introduction - I actually had some 66 model coins floating around somewhere.

Your video explained a lot thanks for the link and the time it takes to do these videos now i can see where and what you are looking at ,Thanks owe you one .PP

Pirate pete said:
Your video explained a lot thanks for the link and the time it takes to do these videos now i can see where and what you are looking at ,Thanks owe you one .PP

Thanks Pete,

Hopefully the new elite 17x11 will arrive late this week and put it up to some tests.

Had a brilliant target yesterday, well a few - but this one wow - you know how we like to guess the target based on many indications - well this target was just pure bliss to the ears and about 20 inches deep. Hit through the wash into clays - all the signs were there, out came a piece of lead about the size of a 2 ounce nugget. Appeared to be shaped like a nugget - looked to be a melted lead blob - almost in the shape of England

Oh yeah the vids take much time, - but trying to keep them short but cover much detail is a challenge. Like our group days just not enough time in 6 hours to discuss everything and really drum down on the information.

Hi Guys,

Just thought to post up the gold finds from yesterday - didnt capture stills of the smalls but did film each find.

1484560005_pic_0368.jpg

1484560006_pic_0369.jpg

1484560006_pic_0375.jpg

1484560006_pic_0376.jpg

1484560006_pic_0377.jpg

1484560024_pic_0378.jpg

Enjoy

Crikey,
You at it again. :eek: :eek:
I hope to prove my arsenal of coils at Tuena this weekend.
Knowing me, I will spend too much time Yapping than detecting. LOL
I have my spot picked and it is rich red dirt. :rolleyes:
Standard 11 DD
Standard 11 Mono
Evo 17 x 13
Evo Sadie.
At least I might find a bit of rust,
And it is MY Rust. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If the forecast is right, I most probably will spend a fair bit of time
soaking up the creek and a few Ale's.

Hi Tathrajd,
Mate, put your 17x13 evo coil on and go low and slow, if there is any yellow under the coil you will know, I have the 17x13 Advantage NF and it's a great coil and has found a serious amount of the yellow stuff and the EVO is even better.
Good Luck,
SinHof.

More fantastic videos from MG!!! :D :D :D

The way you are willing to share and help fellow prospectors is priceless!!! :)

Trying to read someone's interpretation on something and then trying to visualise what they are explaining isn't always easy. :( :mad:
Personally,
I really prefer visualisation when it comes to learning things ;)
so.....
Thankyou :D
and keep them coming!!

Thanks MH,

Seen your comments and really appreciate that - constructive feedback is excellent.

Thats why a lot of it you will see repetition on explanation. Building the foundation so to speak, removing bad habits and inputting new ones can be a challenge for some, also new comers we want to keep them into the hobby and ways to help them.

Some people might say but why do you do this, tell me and no one else. Tutor me on the goldfields, hah its funny we had 20,000 miners or more in one area absolutely smashing the grounds, and look how much they left and potentials of many more rich spots to come. And someone is worried about one detector operator finding all the gold australia wide. I could spend a lifetime detecting my own backyard and still not even make a dent in what is achievable.

Fair enough they had it hard back in the days, compared to these days mining operations big machines and so on. But the mining companies still endure the same thing, they still face the same challenges as everyone, only they need to deal with a heightened level of stress. where is the gold?

Same as back then - they may have had the signals up on top, in a lot of cases no signals - but it takes a lot of hard work - when you think you have had enough its the ones who push further that find it more. People often give up too easily, they want it handed on a silver platter.

Its the ones who take that next step to the left or the right and make the decision to dig and sample right here or detect here. When you think the hole is done its the ones who push further on the hole and often times this will be the matter of win or lose. But you have given it more of a go than anyone else before - so really it is the win, and then the same at the next area - dont ever let your system or strategy go down - always find ways to increase its performance and prove that the strategy you have worked so hard for will keep moving forwards. Next day continue that step to the left or right.

Yeah thats right MH Visualization is a lot easier than words and pictures. I cant structure any of it for various level operators so its pretty much for all. Thats why some may appear very basic at times - like overlap the mono etc etc - people with high level experience just look past that - or they say to themselves what does he think we are stupid. Hah

Its all good.

Glad you enjoyed

Exactly mate, spot on!! ;)
I myself are completely new to prospecting with only 1.5yrs exp highbanking and I have 4 months exp detecting, so all your help and advice is beyond belief to me. :D

As you say "persistence pays off" and that is going to be the motto for my prospecting trips from now on!!
It is so overwhelming when you gaze upon a worked area and try and figure out what the hell happened here and then to be able to decipher it all is causing a meltdown in my head.
And an added bonus is, you are recording in Victorian goldfields which is relevant to me more than watching someone popping nuggets out of the ground in another state with completely different minerals to what I am dealing with.

Thanks again, good luck with your adventures and I am eagerly awaiting your next instalment!!
:) :D

Very informative info MineLab although being only 8 months into Prospecting my brain is rattled in overload of information. I think i will come back to this thread before venturing out, as you would say have a coffee and examine maps ect, i have been doing that and following gold trails but around 1 hour in and with the heat i get flustered and loose all logical knowledge on what to look for. I think next time this happens ill stop, grab a cold drink, re-read this forum and go again.

Cheers for the pour of information and images, greatly appreciated.
:cool:

Nightmare said:
Very informative info MineLab although being only 8 months into Prospecting my brain is rattled in overload of information. I think i will come back to this thread before venturing out, as you would say have a coffee and examine maps ect, i have been doing that and following gold trails but around 1 hour in and with the heat i get flustered and loose all logical knowledge on what to look for. I think next time this happens ill stop, grab a cold drink, re-read this forum and go again.

Cheers for the pour of information and images, greatly appreciated.
:cool:

Hi Nightmare,

It becomes easier as you go, the more you find gold and the ways you go about it. Eventually this repetition of knowledge you gain will start to create those signals when you notice them. Its easy for me to say only because of the pure determination not to let it be too difficult. Always finding ways to speed it up, we can make it as difficult as we want or very easy.

Any operator will say the more real estate you cover the better your chances will become. Maps and all that are a good stepping stone, but our feet and eyes in the fields are what does it.

The more you find see and do - the more these signals start to flow.

Similar to the analogy of a red light - you see it and your brain instantly triggers to stop. Well most people anyway, same as in the fields - these signals will start to flow.

Minelab Gold said:
Hi MH,

Persistence definitely pays off - but I should change the label of the thread because I traded in persistence a few weeks ago and got the Coiltek Elites.

All the best MG

:)
Yes that's true, but....... :eek:
you seem to have soooo much more infield knowledge and that is priceless. ;) ;)

I have started detecting and have a gpz with the 14" Super D coil ;) :D , but my lack of wisdom infield is really holding me back. 8.(

Well I for one struggle in the field am getting better but after two years and three detectors ATX ,WHITES TDI PRO, and now have a 4500 with an advantage coil ,have a grand total of about 6 grams of yellow Think its about time for things to change and put into practice what I have struggled to learn ,see what I can find lol .

Hi Pete.

In my early days, for maybe 3 years I would often question myself why I am doing this. I wasnt finding anything substantial at all. I seen all these gold finds, Gold Gem and Treasure, also images on the internet. Visiting Coiltek a few times over the years. So many why's I was asking myself.

I put this down to so many things going wrong but only one thing, it wasnt the machine at all. It was me

Where I was going wrong was I just wasnt walking over the gold, my machine could find small targets feet deep.

The other big problem was walking creek side in the deep grounds, on the wrong part of the grounds. I would walk on a path to nowhere all day and wow I hit one spec maybe 0.2grams so far away from any workings on the opposite side of what I believed to be the gold side based on some things I thought to be the logical gold side. Hot day and I was out for about 4 hours, Im over this crap. Swearing and asking again why Im doing this.

Why cant I just find something good. Junk Rust Lead damn sucks, so walking back to the car along the road side, right along the road side was a few random white mullocks. One had been half cut through when they made the old dirt track, why not swing on the way back whats the worse that can happen dig more junk. Well as I came up over this white half mullock, a nice soft mellow signal. At this point nothing at all no emotion on the signal because I had dug so many of these to be a deep piece of rust, as I continued to get the target out still nothing just the emotion of a lost detector operator.

When I had the target out and in the hand, the white powdery stuff was falling away and there it was Pete - a friggin 6.5 Gram Nugget with some quartz and looked like mount rushmore but missing one head. This thing was about 40 meters up from the gully - random as ever in a white mullock where there were only 10 or so of these mullocks spread out within a 40 square meter section.

Why Why - why was this here, turned out that 2 more pieces came from this half pile.

The days went on again with the odd piece here and there, Im talking everyday I would get out for minimum 4 hours at least 5 or 6 days a week. Sometimes every single day - I remember many days 8 to 10 hours - if it was too dark I couldnt see then that was time to stop in those days. I actually remember doing a nightime with the miners light. Yeah thats not gonna work too well around deep hole is it.

Many days were minimum 4 hours, but I would drive myself stupid to the point that some days weeks months almost, I would find nothing just 40 pieces of junk and the next day - again first hour junk junk - Im over it. I needed to kick back and I was burning myself out.

So again still persisting through, determined to crack this open. I hit a piece here and there. Oh this is absolute crap how can I find this piece in 15 minutes then nothing all day. Or this is just madness nothing all day and this piece at the end of the day.

How can I deal with this emotionally and mentally, time for some action on that one. take time off to get that urge to get back out. Lets formulate a psychology document - and this had tremendous results. Structured over the years to help.

Well what a surprise 3 pieces today. Finally I hit multiple in one day

And all of these area's again - I thought oh Im on big time here, and search all day in and around these finds, nothing. Why the hell can these pieces be here and then nothing anywhere.

After battling through digging thousands of meters of holes, s@#$ I reckon the saying diggin to china is nothing on what I have moved over the years. The amount of Junk Rust Lead OMG - I could own a friggin scrap metal yard

So after years I was starting to find the odd piece here and there, I was slowing down every time I found the next piece, things were starting to mould inside shape so to speak. The gold finds were beginning to train the system. Now with all finds and the response and speed - this had finally slowed me down, developed a system on searching, and also the grounds where they were found, it was becoming easier to search more enjoyable, what to look for each and every time. Because I was noticing certain things around me while doing it, absorbing everything.

And the finds started to become easier, hey I was starting to enjoy it again. Just like when I first started, digging junk well what could it be, wonder who lost this, wonder why this nail is here. Damn guy must be missing his button on his pants, or even the old belt buckle poor fella. Even the good old piece of lead hah this guy missed his target.

Finding ways to enjoy it, keeping so relaxed in the fields. Over all of those years I was slowly getting closer to the windows, problem was though with the past finds I had actually been lucky because it was only in that spot and no where within a good distance around them, some have proven that it was just me not being thorough and going back has proven to be more within close proximity.

I was now painting a large picture of my gold finds, all the area's I have been to and all the ones I havent. So it starts to bring us closer to the next windows a lot easier. If there is no gold well its no big deal, I wont feel defeated just move on to the next venture.

Jumping area's - well thats great to travel and go all over the goldfields, I have found gold in other gold towns, but majority is coming home with zero, why the hell did I waste a day there Im never going back. And thats where the famous words came into play, why would you go to another goldfield when you are live in one, stick with your own backyard first - get to know the area well and you will find gold a lot.

Next day after returning home - fair enough Gold Found.

Im not saying its easy to find Gold, but it becomes easier as you go. Maybe the words should have been just try to keep it enjoyable, no matter what you are digging

Gold will surprise you Pete, we dont just have a magic wand and wave it away and go to a spot and instantly find gold. this was from walking and covering so much ground in the early days, to pinpoint these spots which have now become area's of more interest as we get better with our skills. I still go back to spots where I found Gold 13 years ago - one spot was only recently, a track I have been walking down for 14 or so years, do you know I found a 2 or so gram not long ago, It was posted up here, only 4 feet off the edge of this walking track. What made me stop there was everything I had seen over these many years and something just triggered a signal.

If I knew the things I do now back then, well how things would have been so much easier and more clearer, 15 years ago no one wanted to share anything with me. Oh yeah Gold is where you find it, Gold is in the Ground, Walk 20km into the bush, you will find gold at Havelock - all the usual known facts. Ok they wont show me or teach me a little - I will just do it myself and document as much as damn possible.

Im not afraid to share it guys, I know too well what its like to not find gold, but I also know how hard it was over all of those years. There is no better feeling out than finding Gold while detecting - other than a Dog Head relic - that was a pretty cool relic lol.

Taking that extra step to the left or right can mean the previous guy never did. Or even getting in somewhere you know that no one else would have, tight angles, well what if I just go that extra bit further, when you think you have had enough just go for an extra half hour, take breaks often just sit back and enjoy the bush and surroundings be happy that you can actually be there cause a lot of people are way worse than us, I cant express this enough be so damn thorough with your search height and coverage of the grounds dont ever change this always cover the ground consistently

Im not @#$%ting you guys, next time you are out in the bush if you dont have shoelaces to tie together, get rope and simulate shoe laces. Too many people think walk fast to get to the gold quicker. Even when I thought I knew what low and slow was - hah as simple as it sounds, I would break the rules all the time, even now I think how friggin fast I swung and walked through the grounds, I was amazed that I even found anything really. Until your senses tune for the breaks is when you will finally kick back into almost idle.

Find your spot then do all of the above, listen to what the ground is telling you, dont listen for what you can hear we all know those sounds will jump out and you wont miss them, try to listen for what you cant hear its the sound at the break. Even though a majority of the gold found is mostly what we can hear, if your senses are only ever tuned for the break - then anything else will become easy targets - tuning your senses to the noises you can hear will mean missing others easier.

You will get it Pete - if not I will come and make you

lol might take you up on that lol . Thanks MG went out today by myself for a change have been wanting to try this area for a while tons of quarts very very few digging and the ones that are there are very shallow ,but thought what the hell nothing to lose ,had a good day no gold but did a lot of swinging found about 5 rust nuggets and about 30 buck shots one musket ball and a coin the coin has been there a long time one side is smooth the other has a head but will have to try and clean it a bit to work out what it is think its a sixpence but was nice to be in the bush .Think I need an elite coil though as i am using an advantage at the moment runs well but I don't feel comfortable with it after using my wife Evolution for a couple of months well that's my excuse lol I don't give in very easily not in my nature stubborn ba***** lol thanks for the post mate .will catch up soon .

brilliant post mg sums up so many new prospectors (me included) i still work my way through an area fairly quickly looking for an area that grabs me then its sloooow down and hunt. your generosity with your hard earned knowledge is awesome thanks mate

reynard said:
brilliant post mg sums up so many new prospectors (me included) i still work my way through an area fairly quickly looking for an area that grabs me then its sloooow down and hunt. your generosity with your hard earned knowledge is awesome thanks mate

Copy that on the brilliance comment but in my case it's new and old that make those mistakes. It's a challenge staying focused when your not picking up a few bits here and there especially when it occurs consecutively :|.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts