12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would show you all what i got on my last trip to Castlemaine
1483920550_004.jpg
.Just a little bit of digging lol ,good job i have a sharp pick lol.

Hi MG, if your playing by suggestion sometime, 8) could you give that area 100 mtrs down from the diggings a bit of a gridding where you pulled that nice 7.86 gm nugget from, just to see if there is a spread of them coming from a different source than the diggings up above ,... just thinking it could have beeen swinging out wide from something over further that was never touched in the olden days (just hoping for you really), would be nice to see you score big out further on the fringe from that virgin fan of goodies laying in wait ! ;)

Hey All,

Spider was well taken care of. Thanks for the comments guys, RM Outback Ooooh No definitely not discouraging - inspiring hopefully. :)

Hi Silver - I went about 50 meters down and searched an area with some excellent signals, all which were nice response, one target was about 1 foot deep under some tree roots, it was an old brass padlock front bezel looking thing, the round part which has the key hole. And another target just before this one was about 2 1/2 feet deep, it was about 100mm off the front end of an old pick. Funny thing was this thing was pretty well rusted as you could imagine, but was sharper than my pick end.

In this area the gold was spread pretty well, I know the direction and the deposits only from my documentation over the years, and have managed to get many pieces in and around this area.

Where the 7.86g was found the gravels appeared to start maybe a foot or so down, and continued until this piece was out with no real indication of a thin gravel layer, didnt hit or get close to a clay layer after taking out another 200mm or so - just very soft loose gravels. Walk 20 meters upwards and it starts to get shallow quick, talking 50 or so mm of top soil overburden, then 150 or so mm of gravel wash, then a red clay layer. Have found many in this area.

What was interesting when I got down so far in this hole, was a void in the ground, if looking at the hole, at the front left corner, on the front wall was a pocket and the left wall another pocket which would have joined up - so I have dug into a hollow channel - maybe washed out by water who knows. I could easily fit my fist in this pocket and not sure how far it runs but I couldnt feel an end.

I will switch over and punch in General Deep and swing in this lower area, soils here are a mild to low, so should get too much saturation on the Mono.

Posting up that video now of that piece found yesterday, first part is just me programming some settings, then 10 or so minutes of digging. And finally target out. If anyone watches the vid - Feel free to skip like dislike comment.

Also putting these other vids together and hopefully have them posted later today. One is a video on an easy way to determine hotrock and solid target. The solid target is a rock with a small spec of gold and just the usual hotrock and how to test them with a flick of a switch. Pretty basic stuff but thought why not make a vid on it.

Cheers M.G

Hi All,

Headed out for an hour and half at roughly 7:30pm - I was a bit busy with other stuff today. Wasnt expecting much at all - picked an area along side some workings roughly halfway down this line, and about 30 or so meters away from the workings. Just a flat section nothing special standing out except that the grounds appeared very shallow some clay visible on the surface, gravels and some small conglomerate pieces scattered.

Usually able to ping something along side so why not give this spot a try.

And first target - was indeed Gold, very shallow maybe 5 or so inches down. Second Target buck shot, third target a flat piece of lead, 4th target a little piece of wire, 5th target a little nail. And time to come home.

Was just good to get out even for that brief time to have a swing.

1. Here are the pics
1483960185_pic_0313.jpg

1483960185_pic_0314.jpg

1483960186_pic_0315.jpg

1483960186_pic_0316.jpg

1483960186_pic_0317.jpg

2. All cleaned up
1483960206_pic_0318.jpg

Thanks Harry,

In the early days though it did take a lot of hard work, some days are still a battle. But it is the persistence that pays off I guess, or the diligence so many words to describe - definitely not luck though.

I have over these years taken a lot of time to narrow these windows down, and they keep giving. Pity it wasnt like fishing though where we just get a school of nuggets flowing through every once in a while in our windows.

In between I also study new grounds, area's, geology, deposits, etc then get out to these spots not so much to detect in the early stages but more so to survey the grounds, walking, inspecting, visualizing, digging, and maybe a swing on the initial lead up. Then after finding the signs, mark the spots and perform the tests needed to hopefully open new windows. When others start to become a battle no point spending too much extra time there, I find this is great because it breaks the monotony of staying in one area for week after week, or even months. It helps to keep me motivated every time I go back to that area.

Its funny though we always seem to go back to our favorite rich spots, out little patches that we found over the years hoping just hoping that some sort of miracle has happened and there will be another 10, 20 or even 50 nuggets like when we first found it. I keep going back past that hole of gold every time I am there and for some reason swing over it almost every time. Haha

I guess finding over 120+ pieces in that hole and close to 250 or so nuggets in and around that area will be one of my favorite large open area's with a containment of small alluvial nuggets scattered in such a large window. Biggest piece was 6 or so grams in that area. Total weight was just a touch over 4 ounces 129.6 grams in that short time of 26 days

found that area on the 15th October 2016, last visit which was visit 26 was on the 02 January 2017 - to date that's 86 days ago, on the first day I found it, and in 26 days visiting that area - would be 60 days in between for doing other things, detecting other area's or previous windows, and also inspecting new grounds to hopefully get some more opened.

4 Days of persistence in this area was an excellent start, some area's can take many days - but is important to stay focused and maintain consistency.

Day 1 1 small piece - Inspecting Area - this was one of 3 potential spots in this area, looking forward to getting to the other 2 spots hopefully another window or 2.
Day 2 2 and Chinese Coin
Day 3 Nothing
Day 4 3
Day 5 Day gold hole was found 23
Day 6 - 20
Day 7 - 29
Day 8 - 37
Day 9 - 19
Day 10 - 1
Day 11 2
Day 12 - 2
Day 13 - 1
Day 14 - 4
Day 15 - 4
Day 16 - 1
Day 17 2
Day 18 1 Piece
Day 19 Last day of the GP3500 1 Piece
Day 20 Start of the GPX Elite Combo - 13
Day 21 15 With that nice Quartz Iron Specimen
Day 22 14 with small Ironball Specimen
Day 23 10
Day 24 10 with 2 Ironball Specimens
Day 25 9
Day 26 - 8

Not sure what day 27 will bring - looking forward to getting back out - just been busy and when i go to this area I like to spend at least 4 hours there.

Total so far - 232 Nuggets within 26 days - Total Consecutive Days 23 - Weight 129.6 grams - As you can see the average size is not that great in some peoples eye's - but the total is pretty great - no matter the size or weight gold is gold - but see how the persistence paid off and added to the tally each and every time I went there, and would not take not more for an answer. Also the challenge it presented was such fun. When we are finding 6 gram nuggets even down to sub grammers in such a large spread area was extremely fun. Usually we are so use to the 1 nugget here and there, maybe a few or even a patch of 20 or 50. It was my best overall total nugget finds in one contained area so far to date.

GPX 4500 Elite Combo has found 46.8 grams since upgrading on 18th December - GP3500 paid for a small amount of that and it has almost paid the GP3500 back for his efforts :)

In the early days - end on end with nothing, I would often question myself - why the hell am I doing this, but I found a way to turn that around. Why the hell do you do anything because most times it is because you like to do it, not because you have to do it. Fishing hah another fishing analogy, why does he do this to us. Well when we go fishing it is because we enjoy it, we dont sit there and say why the hell do I do this, gee we can sit there all day with not even a bite but it is still enjoyable out in the open, fishing away camping etc - its just an enjoyable hobby gold detecting. I really enjoy what I do

Thats what keeps us going - I was always taught if your not having fun anymore then dont do it. If you dont like your job find another one. No point complaining

Anyway thats me for the night - just noticed the time guys.

Enjoy and I hope you all get to your windows the next time you are out in the fields. Or multiple ones :) whether it be sub gram to the mother lode - it all adds up.

Cheers M.G

Great post, detailing your visits has put an even greater emphasis on your approach and success to all who read this thread.

We all want to be successful but for varied reasons some go a long time between nuggets or even visits to the gold fields.

I'd like to see you run a SDC2300 over that ground MG just out of curiosity to see if it could find any the GP or GPX have missed.The SDC2300 is dynamite on the sub gramers and bigger also the course reef bits that the GP and GPX might not see. If there's any gold left with in the SDC's range I'm sure you could increase your tally.

No one machine or person gets all the gold, some come close though.

Thanks again for your insight. Not only providing detecting advise but life coaching as well.

I agree with RM outback having only used the sdc more than the gpx5000. I'd be keen to see how it performs over that area.

Keep up hard work out there and on here. I can't wait to go exploring in my local area, looking up all the old reports of the area trying to get some clues on which areas I should target.

Thanks

Matt

Hi MG, I apologize for going off topic here.
I have been offered a nearly brand new coiltek elite 17"x11" mono for $250.
Have you any experience with this coiltek coil or do any other PA members? Thanks and best regards
YF

Yeah I'm pretty keen on it ! Seems super cheap though being around $450 new?

YellowFever said:
Hi MG, I apologize for going off topic here.
I have been offered a nearly brand new coiltek elite 17"x11" mono for $250.
Have you any experience with this coiltek coil or do any other PA members? Thanks and best regards
YF

Hi YF,

Please dont buy that coil - but if you like I can buy it and test it out for you hah.

Nah thats a good buy for that coil - it would be an excellent addition - big response less saturation from being a smaller width coil. Compared to a 18 round or if they made a 17" Round it has less width and still great punch. Plus the advantage of pushing in slightly narrower space compared to 17" width.

Good one - Like Patrick Suggested - Buy It :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts