12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi MH,

Thanks for checking out my youtube channel

Should get some pretty good stuff in the coming weeks to add.

I gave a mention to Pirate Pete in one of the recent Vids - he suggested to sharpen my pick

Still havent done it yet though. Maybe tomorrow I will

Cheers - all the best MG

Hi MG

Thanks for your reply, would you mind including me in the list of interested parties for events this year.

I've hired both the sdc2300 and a gpx5000 I will admit the settings ok the gpx scared me so left them how they hire place set them up for me.

I figure I can hire 10 or so times figure out if this is for me (using it as an excuse to get out into the local bush) before making the jump to buy my own detector, and making sure I have the time to invest in this out in the field (young family & busy work schedule)

Can't help you with the video setup but if you want advice with photos I maybe able to help(one of my hobbies). I reckon you could try some macro focus staking for sharp images thru the whole piece of gold. I've dabbled a little bit and happy to share my knowledge there if your interested or organise shoot of one of your interesting pieces.

Cheers

Matt

Great videos and very informative glad you took notice about the pick end lol when we get together have to let you try our picks they dig a bit easier mind you they have a point lol but your the one finding the good stuff so I really should shut up or round the end of my pick off :lol: maybe thats where I have been going wrong .

Maxpower34 said:
Hi MG

Thanks for your reply, would you mind including me in the list of interested parties for events this year.

I've hired both the sdc2300 and a gpx5000 I will admit the settings ok the gpx scared me so left them how they hire place set them up for me.

I figure I can hire 10 or so times figure out if this is for me (using it as an excuse to get out into the local bush) before making the jump to buy my own detector, and making sure I have the time to invest in this out in the field (young family & busy work schedule)

Can't help you with the video setup but if you want advice with photos I maybe able to help(one of my hobbies). I reckon you could try some macro focus staking for sharp images thru the whole piece of gold. I've dabbled a little bit and happy to share my knowledge there if your interested or organize shoot of one of your interesting pieces.

Cheers

Matt

Thanks Matt,

Ok thats great - good to see that you want to see if it is for you by hiring a machine, in that 10 or so times though you could invest the money in a GPX4500 if its not for you, I am pretty sure you wouldnt lose money on resale or very little, at least not much as hiring 10 times.

My Brother also has the photography setup, DSLR, canvas screens, lights, you know all the stuff. He uses different lenses and walks around reflecting light absorbing it on various angles holding the shot then release.

For my HD Video Camera, I also have a Makro Lense and WideScreen Lens - but don't really use them. Just the standard which I found had a better Video quality, Its got some pretty cool specs, Zoom 10x Optical 16x Dynamic 64x Digital - the fps is quite fun as well goes as low as 1/80 fps for speed lapse or super slow filming 600fps not that I use them much. Was asked to film the local footy players kicking styles in 600fps so the coach could review and discuss with the players on techniques. Never had the time to do it and it's not like they were throwing any incentive my way. Even a can of coke would have sealed the deal

I will add your details on the list.

All the best enjoy

Regards M.G

Pirate pete said:
Great videos and very informative glad you took notice about the pick end lol when we get together have to let you try our picks they dig a bit easier mind you they have a point lol but your the one finding the good stuff so I really should shut up or round the end of my pick off :lol: maybe thats where I have been going wrong .

Hi Pete,

Oh Nooo dont round your pick end, Now the grounds are drying up it is becoming a challenge, I have a Big Boy Walco, that blunt pointless one is my mid size pick.

I like it only because of these reasons.

1. Nice and Lightweight
2. Handle doesnt hit the ground when I walk :) - being such a small huge person :)
3. Gets the job done - well at the moment semi done.

My Big Walco - well that thing has dug a lot of gold, I use to joke about the pick end turning to gold, but I never hit the gold with it so thats not possible. That thing is incredible on the grounds, its not like the Mid Size Pick where it is like a flat piece of steel shaped and sharpened - this big boy is like a full moulded design with strength and stability. But the weight OMG - when i downsized after 10 or so years, yep thats right carried it for over 10 years, downsizing was like where is my pick, the weight difference after all those years.

Why did it take so long, my theory when I first got the GP3000 kit in 2003 and purchased the pick, I said to the guy I will also need a pick, so across to the pick rack and he asked which one - straight away bigger pick, bigger hole, bigger gold haha

I was thinking to cut the handle down on the big boy, but I like the reduced weight of this mid size. And If I do get that big 3 foot deep hole I think big bertha for that.

This is the Big Walco - it would be close to a 2003 Vintage :)
1483759178_pic_0861.jpg

1483759178_pic_0862.jpg

Funny thing when I got the GPX4500 Kit, everything that came with it I gave to my brother for using with my GP3500, Sharp Mid Size Pick, Speaker, New Headphones, My small GP Coiltek Lithium Battery kit. I even swapped some of my old coils for the 11" Elite for him to use.

After all those years lugging around the old motorbike battery in the harness with the GP3000 - wow when I upgraded to the GP3500 and the coiltek small lithium kit which clipped to the belt and weighs about 50 grams - that was great. Then the mid size pick - reduced weight all over. I was floating around the bush like a fairy. Even with the small back pack - felt very light losing this added weight.

So now I was in a situation where I had given these items to my Brother to use, GP3500, 11" Elite, My lightweight Coiltek Lithium Battery Kit, New Sharp Midsize Pick, New headphones, Speaker because I dont use them.

What happens, my headphones died. Oh what to do, tell him I need those headphones back and for him to go and buy a pair. Well thats not fair is it, need the speaker back to do some filming. Hah

And to the rescue, all these wonderful people on PA offering Koss UR30's to me - I now had the option to have 6 or more pairs of Koss UR30's brand new or only used 2 or 3 times

I'm not greedy, I'm sure there are some people out there who would have taken up every offer. 2 wonderful people RM Outback and Leroy who have offered them at no costs. One set I just need to collect and the other set is being freighted.

Having the spare set to fall back on is excellent, in case it happens again.

Some people also asked what do you use to carry the battery, I have always used the Oz Trail Small Back Packs - after getting rid of the annoying harness in the early days, and switching to a more versatile option was this backpack. 2 Birds 1 Stone
1483761393_oztbph-blu-d.jpg

1. Battery Closest to Back very bottom - Cable in Right Headphone Out Left
2. Ice Pack Back - with 1 x 600mm Drink Bottle
3. Carbiner on the front upper right for the Bungee Quick Release Connection - these backpacks have the shoulder to shoulder strap as well :)
4. JVC Camera Front
5. 600mm Drink Front
6. Snacks Front
7. Small Front Compartments - just the usual first aid, gps, batteries, magnifying glass, lighter, electrical tape, Off Tropical Strength, Small LED torch.
8. The lower strap that goes around hip line is utilized as the pick holder.

Obviously the mannequin in the image must be an irish mannequin - he for some reason has the back pack the wrong way. Silly Fella

This is every time I go out detecting regardless.

Hi MG I know what you mean about the big picks I have a heart pick when we get really serious about digging big hole we put it in the boot,its too bloody heavy to carry it weighs 2.5KG great for digging but impractical so we made our own .Looking at your back pack we have been talking about the hydration packs, you can get them with a sort of back pack look a bit like this one http://www.raysoutdoors.com.au/Product/Camelbak-Lobo-Hydration-Pack-3L/424606 you can put your battery in the bottom pocket and all you other stuff in the top one,I wear a belt with a 45degree angle pick holder holster keeps the pick out of the way and stops it snagging on things I made that as well lol (tight ass ) let me know what you think of the hydration pack idea .Catch up soon .PP

Pirate pete,
Gday :)
That's exactly what I was thinking of using!! :lol:
I don't know anyone that has got one, so I don't know who well they work or how long they last.
Maybe others on here will have more input ;) ;) :D

Hi Madhatter I know you can get replacement bladders for them so I cant see a problem and also as long as you flush them after each use should last a while .PP

Hi Pete,

I took the Bladder out of mine.

Mainly only because I couldnt be bothered washing/sterilizing it all the time. Easier and more convenient to just add couple of bottles of water - or one water one electro drink.

Obviously the mannequin in the image must be an irish mannequin - he for some reason has the back pack the wrong way. Silly Fella :lol:

He probably gets more gold then me tho !! :mad:
You've hammered that pick mate , the question begs how many sets of boots you been threw ?
What foot wear does the persistent one adorn himself with ;) I'm thinking you might ride a cloud like monkey :p
The vids are spot on keep them coming

Mickkat12 said:
Obviously the mannequin in the image must be an irish mannequin - he for some reason has the back pack the wrong way. Silly Fella :lol:

He probably gets more gold then me tho !! :mad:
You've hammered that pick mate , the question begs how many sets of boots you been threw ?
What foot wear does the persistent one adorn himself with ;) I'm thinking you might ride a cloud like monkey :p
The vids are spot on keep them coming

Dont think M.G uses boots or walks to the area. He is carried on the shoulders of his followers :)

Hi All,

Just updating thread with some findings today, after a few days off since going out, Last time was that little silver piece.

As the weather changed today at roughly 4:00ish - was looking good to get out for a few hours. Mainly because I wanted to get some filming done on some targets at threshold and progression upwards.

Going through various settings, one target was out of reach operating in Enhance Mode and switched over to general adjusted a few settings and was quite surprised for a small target.

We all know General will punch the deeper larger targets. But can be a battle operating in this mode without dulling it a bit - especially in the mild type grounds.

Anyway - after that was complete I headed back over near where I found that 10+gram Nugget not long ago, and again running through some settings and there we have it a nice target.

Before digging got the camera running, again filming various settings adjusting to see the response. Time to dig, well this thing was through some pretty hard material. First thing I thought of was that damn pick, Pete will stir me up for sure on this one. Still havent sharpened it yet, and boy was it a workout.

Anyway the target was roughly 10 or so inches deep. Through a Consolidated Gravel Layer Just on Red Clay and out we have it.

1. It was the only target that I dug after filming, I did however dig a few ground noise targets before the usual balance after a scratch. And going from Enhance General to Deep and Normal General to Deep etc etc - adjusting along the way.
1483872909_pic_0186.jpg

1483872909_pic_0187.jpg

1483872909_pic_0188.jpg

1483872909_pic_0189.jpg

1483872909_pic_0190.jpg

1483872923_pic_0191.jpg

1483872923_pic_0192.jpg

I will post up the Vid on my Youtube Channel later or by tomorrow when It is complete and ready.

Enjoy guys, all the best and happy hunting

Mickkat12 - Only a few sets of boots, just the general non steely Red Backs. Hah Monkey Magic - Cloud - Nice one :)

Harry - Thats a classic - awesome but no - If I get carried then they will know my general location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts