12 Weeks To Find First Gold (Persistence Pays).

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HoudiniHarry said:
It wont be long and you will have a gold GPZ specially made for you.
Great finds.

Hi Harry,

Gold GPZ - Mmmm interesting, I think next chapter will be - sell the GP3500 and upgrade it to the GPX, which should be in the next few weeks hopefully, this way my Bro can also use GPX in the field. Level playing fields and yeah the GPX is exceptional.

And then if we keep hitting the grounds, maybe the GPZ pair wont be far off. Or may even be GPZ7500 or GPZ8000

SH#T I havent even made it to the other side of the hill yet. This 100 by 65 or so meters has given up over 300 pieces of gold, I will need to count not that I like doing it much, maybe it is closer to 400 pieces.

Its quite funny, I dont look at it like its my gold or his gold. I always say its our gold. Even when I go out by myself which is everyday except some weekends. It's more so the enjoyment of finding it and sharing between us on each and every find.

we dont keep the finds separate, we involve each other always. Its a great bond we have - I would say he is like my 4th best friend, GPX first, Coiltek Elite Second, Koss UR30's third and then my brother. :)

Without any of these I wouldnt find the gold. We keep each other going

Well happy new year to all, looks like you had another great day in the paddock nice opening for the year MG,WE will be Going out tomorrow for the first time this year hope we can replicate your returns lol (I wish) good on ya bud

SH#T I havent even made it to the other side of the hill yet. This 100 by 65 or so meters has given up over 300 pieces of gold, I will need to count not that I like doing it much, maybe it is closer to 400 pieces.

Sounds like you may need a hand to get to the other side of the hill. I am more than happy to help. I will even throw in the drinks at the end of the day :)
But seriously it is wonderful to hear Bros are getting along. I wish I had that sort of relationship with mine and I am a twin.

Keep up the digging.

Hi Lad's,

Just updating thread with some findings today, after arriving back home at roughly 2:00pm after visiting my mother. Back to the usual area - and hit the fields at 4:00pm

My brother also had the day off so he ventured out with me.

When we started off today, I was finding some hot spots in the ground to explain these sounds to my brother, he was finding it frustrating with the hotrock sounds, trying to distinguish between the solid and the low to medium stretch.

Well after some testing and showing him these sounds, and a few targets in the ground. He was set with more confidence.

Well we both headed our own way maybe 40 or so meters between us - working our windows. And I found a nice little faint signal, it was very faint and needed an inch scratched to become more solid. This thing would have been low almost less than a mild hotrock, But it was the only sound on this small section. So definitely worth the inspection. So I left it in the ground and went over to get my brother to listen. Just to help with the smaller solids rather than the usual mild hotrocks.

Well when I walked over there - he had a smile and thumbs up - What you got Gold - yep sure did. And a nice little specimen piece.

So i told him to come listen for this sound that I got - just so you can see if the 3500 with 11 Elite will pick it up - and whether he would dig it.

On inspection he said it was that faint he was hearing hotrocks louder. So I got a mild rock, placed it about 300mm away and said go over both targets and listen. He was very surprised at the length or stretch of the detector interpretation.

Time to dig it out, well it was gold only small - but hows that again we hit gold at the exact same time and first target for both of us.

We set off again, he went back to his area, and I continued. He got another 2 pieces in the same area, within 2 meters of each other.

I pinged 4 more little fella's for the rest of the afternoon.

Total 8 Pieces - pretty exciting 4 or so hours out.

Here are all the images
1483355978_pic_0810.jpg

1483355978_pic_0811.jpg

1483355978_pic_0812.jpg

1483355978_pic_0813.jpg

1483355978_pic_0814.jpg

1483355996_pic_0815.jpg

1483355996_pic_0816.jpg

1483355996_pic_0817.jpg

1483355996_pic_0818.jpg

1483355996_pic_0819.jpg

1483356012_pic_0820.jpg

1483356012_pic_0821.jpg

1483356012_pic_0822.jpg

1483356012_pic_0823.jpg

1483356012_pic_0824.jpg

1483356028_pic_0825.jpg

1483356028_pic_0826.jpg

1483356028_pic_0827.jpg

1483356028_pic_0828.jpg

Gold all cleaned - little speci is a ripper

Hope you enjoy the images - good luck on your next outing

Regards M.G

Hi M G Great finds. The way you are going you will wear that coil out :)

I was out today and no gold just loads of bullets.
Must have been an old hunting ground. Lots of old musket balls as well.
At least I am digging targets.

Just need to dig gold.

Cheers

HoudiniHarry said:

Just need to dig gold.

Cheers
Hope they were all shallow for you Harry. 8) :D

great to see your brother is on the board too MG well he had a great teacher ,8 for the day I haven't found that in two years lol must be doing something wrong will see what today brings off to Castlemaine .Great post

Hi All,

Posted these yesterday in the other forum - show tell

But only just noticed, I had put down Gold all cleaned up in my recent post - but missed adding these pics below them

These were the ones from yesterday cleaned up - which you may have already seen in the other thread. Anyway all good hope you like them.

1483419593_pic_0829.jpg

1483419593_pic_0830.jpg

Cheers M.G

HoudiniHarry said:

Just need to dig gold.

Cheers

Thats it Harry,

Good on you - have had plenty of those grounds in the days, what it does though it brings you closer to your ground which will have the yellow.

Keep narrowing your search window down, making it smaller each and every time, and those nuggets with your name on them will just jump up and say take me home.

All the best

Hi Guys,

went out today to film some documentation of hot ground, hot rocks etc and what to do to achieve the results. Ways to overcome the high mineralized area's

After filming a few different finds along the way, managed to get this little sucker among the hottest type of grounds. After 6 or so hot signals

Another part of the filming was - balancing out gold targets.

Should be interesting for you all to watch.

I didint take any still images just this when I arrived home.

1483441193_pic_0841_-_copy.jpg

1483441193_tue_jan_03_21-53-30.jpg

Cheers M.G

Evening MG. VERY much looking forward to watching this if your intention is to post it here/YouTube, etc.

I haven't met you and maybe this is not your thing but if you are able to present well to an audience I would encourage you to do something in the future in a professional/production capacity as this is one thing I have not been able to find Googling - a video about how to read gold bearing ground, reading old diggings, showing what they were looking for/finding, etc, etc.

Lots of articles and lots of videos of blokes standing at a hole digging out a nugget but none of the WHY they were at that location to start with. Probably because most of them are a little bit clueless as to how they got there - like me :D :D

This is something that, if done well, could be Youtubed and would hopefully pay back some production costs at least.

Could only imagine that there would be some expertise amongst forum members in video production?

Cheers, Northeast.

Hi Northeast,

Thanks for your reply, thats correct - most of the video's you see are the ones where they sit the camera down, dig out the gold. Imagine how many video's they take before and after they get that target though.

I think people's perception on those video's, are that they walk into the bush, film away and hit gold. Much work goes into filming, I could easily film how I got to the gold targets, but the video could be 10 minutes long, or up to hours before finally getting to that one little spot which is the gold.

If I can be too bold to say, that I think some of them may be a bit clueless, and just swing away in the hope and eventually they hit gold, but there are the guys who have that ability to read the grounds a bit better and get their search window narrowed down a lot quicker. You must appreciate that these guys are more so - check this size of the gold that I just dug in untouched ground, I found it and how cool is that. They are not really going to publicize much else, other than they used a minelab with the best coil in the world. I couldnt see them getting up with the camera and walking around and showing everyone the signposts on how they got to this area. Thats the fun of the hunt and the skill in prospecting. Much like fishing some are good at it and some shouldn't fish.

As for ground reading etc, its much like the recent spot that I found, I could easily film this for 4 hours and over that time, which recently I have hit gold almost 8 times in this short time. Or over the 2 1/2 days in Calcrete with over 120+ pieces - And out of 26 days now 25 have proven to be gold on each occasion. And over the short time have managed to get 400 or so pieces. If I filmed each and every find maybe I would still be at the 200 mark.

Filming Narrating Editing to produce a good quality video is basic enough.

Today I filmed roughly 7 hot sounds, just to show people how to balance and deal with the super hot stuff, you know the type that even a slight lift off the ground sends the detectors with mono into a frenzy of sounds, this was the ground I filmed today, balancing technique along with working through the area, and things that I do to achieve the results. And fair enough after maybe an hour or so - there was the target, very similar to the sounds all throughout the hour, and after the inspection was gold. Only small but gold.

As for the old timers, what they were looking for was gold, but how they found it, is not that hard. Is pretty much if we start from where they did, the very bottom, creeks, riverbeds, panned away. After the gold thinned out they went higher up and noticed it was halfway along where the original water line was many aeons ago before sea's fully subsided to where they are these days. After this thinned out, they went higher and found that gold was formed in reefs, hence why they dig in the gold bearing veins.

One problem for a lot of detector operators, is they dont spend enough time in general and they hope to find gold every time they hit the fields. So they think to change area's hourly or daily - this can be a bad thing because you need to spend time in one area. We all know there is still detectable gold available in every single goldfield australia wide, but these people make their belief different by moving around so much. They must think if they dont move to the next spot they will miss out on what could be there, and forget that they may have just walked away from a good find.

Let me share this with you, look below at these folders, this is persistence. Each and everyone of these is full of my gold finds in that location, basically every time I go out there is a folder created with what I found on the day, where when ground type etc etc, After covering a lot of ground throughout my journey. I have managed to find these spots over this time, not by moving around so much and saying this place has no gold after a few hours out. I would go back and go back until I found gold, and continuously work the area until I was satisfied that there is no detectable gold for me to find in the area I have covered. With the machine and coils that I was using.
1483449106_folders.jpg

In this area, when I first approached it - it looked very promising. The first target - screamed Chinese Coin, well this chinese coin was maybe 4 meters away from the spot which would turn out to be 120+ pieces of Gold in Calcrete, I ventured along a path weaving around trees, over mullocks, and to a spot which I found one small piece of gold. which was a little reefy piece, study the gold. And the second piece was a very waterworn piece. Well this spot seemed ok 2 pieces first time there.

2nd visit there again - weaving away on a path line following the edge of gravel to clay and 3 pieces of gold about 100 meters down the incline, again marked on Earth

3rd visit to this area, nothing nothing at all.

Lets look at the gold - the first piece was very reefy looking and the area it was found looked to be the best spot to start.

Well 4th day - 6 pieces about 2 meters away from the that very first reefy little nugget. Time to thoroughly do this section clean out everything that will stop me from getting good ground coverage, This time I was not taking the line walking around to study the area while detecting but more so concentration on sectional ground, you could say gridding. Well there it was boom and the next 2 1/2 days was over 120 plus nuggets.

I guess the story here is some people may walk a line through an area, hit one piece of gold or possibly nothing and dismiss the area, when I first walked into this area, if I knew what was about to come out of there I would have started to grid from the very top, but my approach is to try and find gold here and there in one area, try to see if I can find the stretch of detectable gold and then work the containment - and after this pursue the outer limits.

This entire section had gold left right and centre, when i first walked through here, finding 2 pieces and then 3 pieces in another small area the next time - and after working this area now for 25 or so days, I pretty much walked right past all these other 200 or so pieces on the first few days. Because I was walking a line through the area detecting

Another area that I want to share with you all - Well what happens in the most prospected place in history, D/S Gold maps point everyone to this location. And what do you know over 60 pieces of gold throughout a few weeks of persistence. Finally another window

After this was the same approach, venture to many other area's hills, hillsides and gullies and continue this persistent approach of being extremely consistent. Well the amount of ground I was covering was sure to get me closer to the gold.

What can I do to achieve better results, how can I speed this up. Well its all about learning curves within any industry or profession, we need these skill and abilities to achieve better results. So I took the time to study while I was detecting, study the grounds myself, and study the rocks, minerals, grounds and even the gold - look at each and every find rather than chuck it in the pocket and fill the hole. Lets now further on away from workings and prospect some new grounds, we have the skills and knowledge from many years and lets see if we can find these hot little spots.

The old timers couldnt just ask someone or google it they had to work it out for themselves to eventually hit their windows. Ask someone in those days would be like, yeah there is a major gold rush 1000km's away. Chinese whispers you know

Most people look at the grounds on a small scale, what you need to do is look at it on a bigger scale, a creek is nothing, or a river, think of some hills as one big gravel bar when the rivers or sea's were massive. All grounds are different but some things are easier to understand with what lies below.

I mentioned to the operators on our group days - an easy way to see the ground levels, is to dig a hole, when detecting and with each and every hole always track the depths of the soils. Dig a bit further, at least it will help you to get an understanding of the depth on each change in soils.

Or keep your eyes on the depth of the workings.

Look at the mineral makeup down the shafts, you might see light 50mm or so top soil, then gravels about 300mm thick then a 100mm band of clay - thats a good sign that the grounds are 350mm or so thick until a thick clay layer.

Vegetation helps as well, look at the way things grow in dirt but not in the high mineral shallow area's.

I could keep writing - but most I have covered all through out this thread, feel free to read from start to finish. Remember repetitive work makes better :)

As for todays Vid's I will post them up when they are complete

Feel free to check out any of my recent video's here if you like.

Minelab Gold Youtube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv5oE31Me0MK-p7tkhRhjMw

First couple of video's are just still images.

Video quality gets better as I battle with holding the camera while detecting.

This new footage is pretty good, because I used the external speaker while filming, and hope to upload in the next day or so.

Cheers M.G

Hi MG had a look at your vids not bad mate very informative ,think the music choice could be better lol ,and love the voice over lol ,after spending a day with you I know you dont talk like that , but I think you will get better and not so robotic lol, well done and keep them going your educating the masses here and on you tube.By the way think you could do with a new pick mate I have shoes with a better point on them. Might have to get GPSGold to make you one, he makes a dynamite Pick. :lol: Love your Bros reactions true to nature from another great guy .

Pirate pete said:
Hi MG had a look at your vids not bad mate very informative ,think the music choice could be better lol ,and love the voice over lol ,after spending a day with you I know you dont talk like that , but I think you will get better and not so robotic lol, well done and keep them going your educating the masses here and on you tube.By the way think you could do with a new pick mate I have shoes with a better point on them. Might have to get GPSGold to make you one, he makes a dynamite Pick. :lol: Love your Bros reactions true to nature from another great guy .

Thanks Pete,

Regarding the music, I have some options, either copyrighted music which then they can plaster add's all over my video's, have the video's entirely removed, the video's remain on youtube but with a crap load of restrictions.

Or use music that is freely available which does not incur any restrictions. So after the first couple I just bit the bullet and got something that works, the hardest thing with music to keep people watching is not everyone likes the same :)

Narration over video is friggin excellent, I think anyway. Its amazing how much more informative it can be, no emotion straight to the points. I should see if the narrator can throw in a few curse words haha.

As for the Pick OMG - you noticed this as well, me and the bro were only just talking about this through last week, its amazing how rounded the end has gotten over the last couple of months, I might take it to the workshop and sharpen the end back on it. Must be from digging too much of the yellow stuff.

Anyway hopefully as time goes they can improve, if they go backwards then I will just give up on the vids.

Cheers,

Hi MG,
I am enjoying your posts & learning all the time. The fact that you are praising the GPX 4500 along with the 14" Coiltek Elite helps as this is the same setup I use.
If I may ask as a very inexperienced prospector.......... could you please give me/us some of your most common settings on the GPX.....or do you find that you are constantly changing due to soil conditions....... this is the part I struggle with most.
I find it very hard to remember the different recommended settings while trying to read the lay of the ground & avoid falling down a shaft, stepping on a snake & keeping a watch full eye on my wife to make sure she doesn't get to far in front of me tally wise with her SDC2300.
Even though I don't get out very often...... I live on the coast in Gippsland........ I love & live for the hobby. I find it the most relaxing yet exciting thing I have ever done.
Reading yours & the posts from others keeps me going until I can get out & have another crack. Thank you once again.
Rob.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the post - much appreciated.

In my area, I was explaining to another member. I operate in Enhance mode, as the day changes if the machines starts to smooth out I will up the RX 1 increment then stabilizer 1 increment.

Because the GPX has finer adjustment and various soil timings over the GP Series - I find that the stabilizer is excellent and can be tweaked to gain maximum performance for the end result or smaller targets - compared to GP Series - Stab is much like a fine adjustment of the audio profile

My highest setting in this area with maintaining stability has been RX 12 - but that was only briefly. Until it had slight chatter.

My usual is RX 10 - even getting as low as 7 on RX which was maybe for a couple of hours throughout the day.

If I had to say what the majority has been or an average for my area - it would be RX 9 Stab 7

All other settings I dont change, Volume, Target Volume is 17 for both - maybe a slight threshold adjustment as the day changes. I will check my machine and post up some settings, which I have mostly operated in.

I usually adjust RX and Stab on average a few times throughout the day. Not so much constantly changing due to soil conditions but more so to help stabilize the threshold. Soil would just be G/B or inspect

When I find targets though, before digging them out, I will stand there and run through a few of the settings to listen for the different response. Whether I can mask the sound out from the settings or increase its response.

Especially those little faint signals. RX can bring them to a more defined response.

Great way to also see when the target is out - size depth and how the detector/coil responded and if we were able to increase its response.

I have a couple of other video's being uploaded shortly.

1. Part 1 - Balancing in hot grounds

2. Part 2 - Working through hot grounds

3. Balancing out gold targets

And I will look to get out and setup a target depth response and film this as well, I will setup 10 or so same size targets, starting from surface to threshold limit. Almost break in threshold If I can. Then I will run through some settings, to see if we can get this break in threshold, to turn into a good response, just by tweaking the settings.

Regards M.G

Hi All,

Managed to get the video's uploaded,

1. Part 1 - Balancing in hot grounds - this is just a quick explanation on ground balance in hot grounds. Way to improve a better balance, and slowing down to absorb less saturation while keeping the coil on the ground - rather than lifting it off by an inch which is recommended with the mono - this absorbs less. I like to get the best balance and keep depth.

2. Part 2 - Working through hot grounds - This video is pretty much after I done the first video, I walked around inspecting various signal responses in this hot ground, inspecting and trying to find that response that gained. To show you how to deal with these grounds, and the persistence ended up snagging a little nug in 30 or so minutes.

3. Balancing out gold targets - Interesting video, I have always known this from my earlier days, but wanted to show you on how the machines will indeed balance away faint gold signals. Who knows if many people balance on top then walk away, thats why I always like to bring the target a certain way into the threshold before even thinking about balancing on top. I very rarely balance on top anyway. I would rather try to find targets that make an excuse to not find it.

Anyway - hope you enjoy them.

Hi MG and others, a quick and easy way to change to higher Rx and Stab settings (for pin-pointing and changing audio modes etc) is to program them into General on the front panel, with your normal operational mode in Deep (you could also use the Custom setting). So, with the flick of a switch, you can change from search mode to pin-pointing mode. Saves a bit of time I reckon.
You could do much the same by flicking between your settings under Enhanced and your settings under Normal using the timings switch - your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts