Windows 10

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused, do you guys still have internet plans that have data limits or something?
Most people just go unlimited now.

The speeds you should be getting and the internet plans you should be on shouldn't be an issue.

If anyone has IT questions i'm happy to help and maybe even save you some money if you are on some shitty internet plan. Just Inbox me and i can see what we can do to best improve what you are getting.

just over a year ago i bought a Lenovo 2in1 touchscreen notebook/netbook with W10 on it, for light duty internet access on the go as an alternative to using a phone with limited screen size. This noteboook has only 32GB storage which should have been enough as i use a USB 500GB portable SSD for storage.
W10 updates create huge log files during its far to many updates, which rapidly filled the 32GB storage. I googled solutions & tried several ways to delete these log files but W10 wont allow it. After 3 months it became useless & I threw it in a draw & thats where its been ever since.
I went back to using a full size Laptop running W7 Pro.
W10 doesnt give you the options on updating like W7, & they have locked it up like they own the notebook!
W10 is :poop:

Ded Driver said:
just over a year ago i bought a Lenovo 2in1 touchscreen notebook/netbook with W10 on it, for light duty internet access on the go as an alternative to using a phone with limited screen size. This noteboook has only 32GB storage which should have been enough as i use a USB 500GB portable SSD for storage.
W10 updates create huge log files during its far to many updates, which rapidly filled the 32GB storage. I googled solutions & tried several ways to delete these log files but W10 wont allow it. After 3 months it became useless & I threw it in a draw & thats where its been ever since.
I went back to using a full size Laptop running W7 Pro.
W10 doesnt give you the options on updating like W7, & they have locked it up like they own the notebook!
W10 is :poop:

You can clean up download items by right clicking your disk drive, selecting properties, under "general" tab select Disk Cleanup, and selecting "Clean up System Files"

Also with windows 10, this is a standard now where you (following the same above process) can compress the drive.

hey Dropbear, ive tried a few things & have done the Disk Cleanup. Its the log files that are an issue ... several GB's of em. &b W10 wont let me delete them
Im thinking of getting a bit bigger SSD drive put in it & do away with the touchscreen ability in loading W7 Pro on it.
ps, we have W10 on our systems at work & I hate there too. It isnt ideal in a CAD Design environment

32GB really isn't bit these days.

But you might be able to compress the drive.

Once you go into Disk Cleanup, there is another option for "Clean up System Files" and that is where you clean out your log files and windows files.

these units are marketed & sold with W10 so its logical to think its up to the job.
might dig it out & give it one more go, tho I reckon I might have triesd that already, tried lotsa things.
Cheers for the suggestions DropBear :Y: :beer:

Install CCleaner,

(use Google or such to find it for free. )
Tick all the box's on the left hand pane.
Except for the last one.
Be prepared, It will remove all your saved passwords, etc.
Ignore the warning's.
Scan then run delete.

Then run the registry cleaner.

Follow your nose, It is quite explanatory.

Quite surprising what it cleans out.

Ded Driver said:
these units are marketed & sold with W10 so its logical to think its up to the job.
might dig it out & give it one more go, tho I reckon I might have triesd that already, tried lotsa things.

Tathradj said:
Install CCleaner,

Except for the last one.
Ignore the warning's.
Scan then run delete.

a mate puter was slow and i mean slooooow , it took 15 minutes to load and execute ccleaner , run it , and the puter now runs like new and he thinks i'm a legend for saving his puter

CCleaner Pro for me. Costs $24.95 annually and I run it on Win 8.1, Win 10, Android tablet & Android phone. It also includes a defragger program and a couple of other things that I never use. The optimizer program is scheduled to run in the early hours of the morning on all devices and keeps them running fast & clutter free.

Jeff

condor22 said:
I tried Win 10 free update from Win 8.1.

My CAD App stopped working and as many of my other programs, Earlier versions of Office and Corel started behaving badly. My then ADSL@ modem did not like Win 10 and my internet connection became very unstable, I reverted back to 8.1.

There were 2 things many never realised with the free upgrade, the 2nd with any Win 10.

1. You had 30 days to try it and during that 30 days you could revert back to your previous version. After 30 days, you're stuck with it.

2. Unlike previous versions where you opt in for all security and data collection settings, in Win 10 they are opt out. So things like updates happen automatically when you switch on. Microsoft collect all sorts of data from your usage etc. These need to be either modified or switched off otherwise Microsoft are in the realms of knowing "what you had for breakfast last Thursday morning". :)

Yep your spot on. I looked at my settings and there is no option the revert back to win8 now. Surely this has to be illegal marketing.
Even though the "Gave us" win10 after the 2 telsra "Outages"
If I could get a win8 disc win10 would be Deleted.

Tathradj said:
Install CCleaner,

Except for the last one.
Ignore the warning's.
Scan then run delete.

Ded Driver said:

Have had cc cleaner the free version for years it's great. Just hate the damn update stuff and goodness knows what they upload it's plane creepy these days.

In 12 mths my "C" Drive has used 40.3GB out of 78.8GB. I have a 1TB HARD DRIVE. I use AVG PC Tune-up to clean it at least once a week. The laptop is HP with AMD Ryzen5 and AMD Vega Radeon graphics.

Latest posts