Windows 10

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ded Driver said:
hey GreenHornet, any idea how Open Office (openoffice.org) runs on Linux Mint or any other version of Linux?

Brilliantly, if my memory serves me correctly the original O.O was for linux and then ported to windows. It's been around for a long time.

Ded Driver said:
good to hear. I use Open Office on my (W7 Pro) laptop & desktop PC at home
Ive been thinking about Linux for a while, but theres several versions & I don't know enough about it to know what version to get, mainly concerned about compatibility.
I might pick up another Laptop & run it on Linux to see how I go. Refurbished old laptops are fairly easy to find.

DD, you can download what are called "live iso images" of a lot of Linux distributions for free you then either burn them to cd/dvd/usb.

To use them you turn your computer off, insert the media and reboot your computer, you will be asked if you want to boot from the media, say yes, the linux distro will boot up on your computer, but does NOT install. You can now play around with it to your hearts content without affecting your computer, just be aware that anything you do in the "live linux" won't be saved when you turn off your computer.

Download a few and have fun :Y:

Ded Driver said:
hey GreenHornet, any idea how Open Office (openoffice.org) runs on Linux Mint or any other version of Linux?

Hi Ded,

I have looked at different versions of Linux, and just find Mint to be so convenient and user friendly now, even from just 4 years ago,
so I have not had to look around for a better 'Fork' or Linux Version.
Very intuitive and simple like XP, but with some grunt hidden away, and almost no limit to what you can do and software available now.
Forum support is variable, but a few searches usually finds anything you need.
It is in my own opinion, being developed with a serious end user perspective, for simple people like me. O:)

Like everything, depends on basic system specs, but you dont have to use 'Open Office' because Mint comes with a full suite of 'Office' product
with the name of 'Libre Office'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Libre Office is French and has a good performance rep, I think or maybe read some where that it was a fork or 'off shoot' from Open Office
but has better development behind it, and growing capability.

I use it, my kids use it and have no issues converting between MS Office files from Win 10 at school and then opening, using and saving those files
in Libre Office on Mint.
I am happy with it, so have not tried Open Office on Mint.

https://www.openoffice.org/download/

Most 'Open Source' software is available for use on all the common Operating Systems, and Open Office used to be preinstalled with Linux OS's
so I assume it would run fine on Mint, just install it from the 'Software Manager' which is preinstalled in Mint also, it helps to make sure that you
get the correct version for Mint - but if you have even half a clue you can just download Open Office from their site and install it,
Mint will usually make up for any minor differences - it is robust.

Linux Mint comes with a very good range of software already preinstalled to get you up and running from scratch and then you can add to that or
uninstall what you dont need so that you save space and dont pull down 'updates' that you dont need.
And it doesnt take long for a Mint Install, you dont need to be a rocket scientist, I got my 10yr old to do the last one, with little help - just read and click appropriately.

Give it a shot on an older machine.
Hope this helps you.

I don't have any trouble with Windows 10!! Just been reading the posts. All I want to say is a big thank you to my son who looks after his Dad with an occasional visit for the cost of lunch and coffee. He's been playing with computers for 40 years, and he has a touch of Asperger Syndrome (means he's a bit fussy and everything has to be just so). He also told me to run a (free) cleaner program he put on the computer that cleans everything up (particularly after doing any banking) Also got me to buy a solid state hard drive so I don't have to defrag'.

Yes, my son told me to buy a solid state pc...did I listen, No. Father knows best.Not.
The thing I didn't like about solid state at the time of getting mine was the limited size of the hard drive. Mine is a HP 7 core 2 terabyte hard drive because we "were going" to travel the big loop and I wanted picture space. Now times have changed with different commitments so no touring anytime soon.

My (computer nerd son, love him heaps) tells me it's all backed up to someplace and if it crashes I would only loose max of 1 day's stuff. I also save important stuff to a portable 1Tb drive every now and again.

Blocker said:
My (computer nerd son, love him heaps) tells me it's all backed up to someplace and if it crashes I would only loose max of 1 day's stuff. I also save important stuff to a portable 1Tb drive every now and again.

Let's hope so.

Now that we have moved onto 'back up', I hope that every one has logs and also tested their backup systems
That means to perform a backup and a restore, with the software you use, but restore to another PC, not the functioning one.

Many backup's have failed to perform properly and restore is impossible.
A lot more common than people realise.

Got this drummed into me 28yrs ago when I was selling backup media to Corporate's and even NCR .
NCR on sold it to Telstra for phone call recording archives. YEP Big Brother stuff.

Mostly it was tape in those days, tape stretches so it was important to ensure the backups functioned
because many tried to skimp and lost massive amounts of data when there was a need to restore, and it failed.
Tech has moved on, but backups still have to be tested.

SSD's are a strange world unto themselves, fast, reasonably reliable and getting cheaper, studying their design and
fault fixing processes is an interesting thing, they have their limits too, again tech is changing.
You do need some luck to get anything back from them, think USB memory failure on a large scale.

I have a few 128Gb USB's, all those files are backed up onto 2 other drives, hate failures because we store so much
and it can be gone in an instant.

Anyone here ever heard of a Syquest Disk Drive ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I still have one mounted in a 486 DX2-66 Box... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1WHzeAmjds

well I had a look, & I don't think CCleaner is gunna work for me. It says I need the Pro version to clean everywhere.
the free download doesn't do much. The Pro version does auto updating which I definitely do not want. One of the reasons I hate W10 is the auto updates out of my control. The Pro version checkout has a secretive little pale grey just visible tick box that is ticked 'on' to auto renew the subscription. Turning that off then increases the price of the Pro version to $40

This is getting off the topic started. However, strangely my son doesn't a SSD he just has 6 drives working in some sort of format that backs up the back up and then goes I think to a server somewhere else. He is a bit obsessive. He did some work for a local firm where the accountant clicked on what he thought was an internal email and the system locked up with a Ransom Ware virus. He had the back up operating every 30 minutes to a separate system and they only lost approximately 20 minutes work. Didn't pay any money, reformatted the HDD, and re-entered most of the lost data.

Blocker said:
This is getting off the topic started. However, strangely my son doesn't a SSD he just has 6 drives working in some sort of format that backs up the back up and then goes I think to a server somewhere else. He is a bit obsessive. He did some work for a local firm where the accountant clicked on what he thought was an internal email and the system locked up with a Ransom Ware virus. He had the back up operating every 30 minutes to a separate system and they only lost approximately 20 minutes work. Didn't pay any money, reformatted the HDD, and re-entered most of the lost data.

Sounds like a RAID setup, with a backup solution.

Smart dude :) :perfect:

Ded Driver said:
well I had a look, & I don't think CCleaner is gunna work for me. It says I need the Pro version to clean everywhere.
the free download doesn't do much. The Pro version does auto updating which I definitely do not want. One of the reasons I hate W10 is the auto updates out of my control. The Pro version checkout has a secretive little pale grey just visible tick box that is ticked 'on' to auto renew the subscription. Turning that off then increases the price of the Pro version to $40

You don't need the pro version to clean up the cookies, cache histories and temp files just take the free one and select the applications you want to clean up. Send me a PM if you want a list what my son selected on my system.

Talk about having to learn another language reading some of the posts here, how do you fellas find time to learn all this and does it make your PC work any better?
Now I have a question, my Dell PC that I plugged in about 10 years ago, it auto upgrades & defrags and I do a deep clean out every month or so.
In last 12 months it has developed a "flicker" I googled the problem relating to Windows 10 and got instructions to "Uninstall the driver software." Then do an "update".
Still have the flicker, any ideas?

KISS.... for me,

If you have another monitor around, if not borrow one for the test, plug it in and see if the flicker is still there,
if not then it may be your monitor, or the cables loose or picking up some electrical noise from another device.
After that if it is still on the swapped monitor, consider the driver update for the monitor and graphics card, update those,
then if still there the graphics card it-self.

Putting back the original monitor and no flicker presents, may indicate a loose cable or even oxidisation on the cable pins.

I like to start small on simple checks and then work to the more scary ones... :playful:

Are you sitting under LED or Flouro lighting ?
They can produce a flickering effect too. Just turn them off to check that one. O:)

Maybe a new pinned topic on 'PC problems' that members could use to ask for help, and answered by members with good tech experience
it seems like there are enough of them here to help.

Nightjar said:
Talk about having to learn another language reading some of the posts here, how do you fellas find time to learn all this and does it make your PC work any better?
Now I have a question, my Dell PC that I plugged in about 10 years ago, it auto upgrades & defrags and I do a deep clean out every month or so.
In last 12 months it has developed a "flicker" I googled the problem relating to Windows 10 and got instructions to "Uninstall the driver software." Then do an "update".
Still have the flicker, any ideas?

I sell complex IT solutions... lol but there is still things i don't understand.

Just google it :p :perfect:

Latest posts