Windows 10

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tathradj said:
Install CCleaner,

(use Google or such to find it for free. )
Tick all the box's on the left hand pane.
Except for the last one.
Be prepared, It will remove all your saved passwords, etc.
Ignore the warning's.
Scan then run delete.

Then run the registry cleaner.

Follow your nose, It is quite explanatory.

Quite surprising what it cleans out.

Ded Driver said:
these units are marketed & sold with W10 so its logical to think its up to the job.
might dig it out & give it one more go, tho I reckon I might have triesd that already, tried lotsa things.
Cheers for the suggestions DropBear :Y: :beer:

That all very well and good but, if you are like me and have been using pc'c since the commodore 64 you get a bit disgruntled when you can't run a file saved on a win8 program that you spent ages typing up.

Just feel like a frog in a tub of water that has has had the heat turned up slowly enough that you just can't seem to get out of.

I don't have ANY 'sensitive info' on my computer... No net banking or stuff like that.... Call me 'Old School' but that's the way I like it... Although they might find some locations to some honey holes... :playful:

LW....

Wishfull said:
So do you leave your pc running all the time ?
Call me paranoid but, I always turn mine of when not in use.
I leave mine on all the time [win 7]
but reboot once a week, defrag clean out registry etc.
Every 6 months format and reinstall.

Wishfull said:
BigWave said:
I've never had problems with Windows 10. All updates are done in the early hours before I wake.

I leave mine on, only sending it to sleep when I am travelling and need to save battery.

I don't know why I have to update my pc every couple of weeks if I don't want to. There must be a way to turn it off but this doesnt seem to be the case with win10. I know someone will say oh but your virus protection won't be updated. With win 8 I only updated maybe once a month if I felt like it.I might use my computer once a week these days and when I do and after it eventualy finishes doing it's thing and I have finished using it I always run CC Cleaner which I have never had any issues with it apart from the annoying pop up asking to up that too.
I use my phone as my pc these days and for P.A. ...it's quicker :D

Try Open Office.
Costs nothing and very powerful.
openoffice org

Wishfull said:
Tathradj said:
Install CCleaner,

(use Google or such to find it for free. )
Tick all the box's on the left hand pane.
Except for the last one.
Be prepared, It will remove all your saved passwords, etc.
Ignore the warning's.
Scan then run delete.

Then run the registry cleaner.

Follow your nose, It is quite explanatory.

Quite surprising what it cleans out.

Ded Driver said:
these units are marketed & sold with W10 so its logical to think its up to the job.
might dig it out & give it one more go, tho I reckon I might have triesd that already, tried lotsa things.
Cheers for the suggestions DropBear :Y: :beer:

That all very well and good but, if you are like me and have been using pc'c since the commodore 64 you get a bit disgruntled when you can't run a file saved on a win8 program that you spent ages typing up.

Just feel like a frog in a tub of water that has has had the heat turned up slowly enough that you just can't seem to get out of.

I thought I posted here about my Windows machines and about my Linux machines, but it doesn't show up anywhere.

Mods, if it was deleted please let me know why, apart from that I assume it is part of a problem mentioned elsewhere regarding 'posts' evaporating.

I find Linux Mint to be a very stable platform and useful even on a machine 19yrs old - laptop running just for Netflix on the TV.
Everything software you can need is available free.

BUT I understand that Win XP, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 can have wider uses for a person that is software dependant.

Me, I am very happy with Linux Mint these past 3 yrs, it has improved so much that I feel it is more user friendly (like XP) and faster than
most Windows, never have any real issues that I didn't cause (or the kids), easy and quick to fix.

As an OS it is hard to beat, and you have complete control or less if that is how you rock n' roll.

:) :Y:

Wishfull said:
BigWave said:
I've never had problems with Windows 10. All updates are done in the early hours before I wake.

I don't remember the last time mine was off.... lol

My CAD system is IntelliCAD, it was originally installed, generated a request code and then requires an auth code from the software parent company in the U.S. When I updated to Win10, CAD stopped working as it sees it as a new install.

What I didn't realise is, I should have done a de install, this then generates a small file to prove the de install. I then install Win 10, re install CAD and send the files to IntelliCAD for a new Auth code. The second issue was that although my other older apps worked, the graphics on their display was crap. The 3rd issue was the WiFi modem connection to the internet being unstable. I'm convinced that the hardware is probably at the limit of what Win 10 needs. Even tho my laptop is a Toshiba, Intel core i7 with 8GB RAM and 64bit.

I got no warning messages re compatibility when I did the Win 10 install. It all got too hard, so I took the attitude, "If it aint broke, don't fix it" and went back to Win 8.1.
:)

Internet Explorer in Win 8.1 is IE ver 11. Given upgrades on the net, it plays up. The easy fix, I also have Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers, if one don't work another usually does. But sooner or later I'll need to bite the bullet and update the hardware and then worry about the apps....... It's all geared to them wanting us to keep spending our money, lol.....

condor22 said:
My CAD system is IntelliCAD, it was originally installed, generated a request code and then requires an auth code from the software parent company in the U.S. When I updated to Win10, CAD stopped working as it sees it as a new install.

What I didn't realise is, I should have done a de install, this then generates a small file to prove the de install. I then install Win 10, re install CAD and send the files to IntelliCAD for a new Auth code. The second issue was that although my other older apps worked, the graphics on their display was crap. The 3rd issue was the WiFi modem connection to the internet being unstable. I'm convinced that the hardware is probably at the limit of what Win 10 needs. Even tho my laptop is a Toshiba, Intel core i7 with 8GB RAM and 64bit.

I got no warning messages re compatibility when I did the Win 10 install. It all got too hard, so I took the attitude, "If it aint broke, don't fix it" and went back to Win 8.1.
:)

Internet Explorer in Win 8.1 is IE ver 11. Given upgrades on the net, it plays up. The easy fix, I also have Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers, if one don't work another usually does. But sooner or later I'll need to bite the bullet and update the hardware and then worry about the apps....... It's all geared to them wanting us to keep spending our money, lol.....

So.... You are saying you didn't do your research on what software you had and if it would work with Windows 10?
Thats not Win10 issue, that is user error.

You should ALWAYS do software research when you do a massive upgrade. Even more so when you have an expensive product like CAD.
If you reach out to CAD support, they might even help you out.

LOL, Dropbear, I have spent so much time in the sales end of the industry, and working on our own business network, that I have seen enough of that old argument,

must be your hardware, isnt the software
must be your software, isnt the hardware
must be you did something wrong
must be you changed settings
Installed new software, that isnt compatible...... on and on it goes.
VERY few will admit that there is a problem and they cant fix it, thats with anything.

It wont turn on ? You cant see the keyboard because the power is out ?...... Trust me, pack it back in the box and get a refund ! You are not compatible with PC's !

blah blah blah... I say LOL

A domestic end user should have support from the software provider whether it is the OS or third party.
Microsofts big push for Win 10 was hype and marketing in my opinion, that is all.
End users should expect to have all their products compatible if they are doing an 'OS upgrade' as a recommendation of the original OS provider.
Also when the CAD provider has notification of a new OS developed they should have a compatible upgrade fix for free to give to the end user.

Does Win 10 let you configure a software install as a lower level compatible OS version anymore ?
ie right click, install as OS win7 Compatible ?

I dont know, but that used to be available in earlier systems and I just dont play with Win10 at all now, except when Kato's school laptop
needs some issue sussed out, and then after I figure out what the issue is, it still has to go to the schools IT Dept to fix.
They just blow everything away and reinstall the OS image and hand it back - slack tards. The kids do ALL their work and software on their laptops and get it blown away.
Of course IT never touch hers until I back up an 'image', but it is the attitude that they just do it without advising the kids or making an 'image' themselves, not hard to do.

Anyway I guess that MS decided that there is more money in locking down their OS, like IOS, marketing anything and everything online and 'pay to use' cloud services,
so the monkeys are under control with no software in the wild on CD's :playful:
It's coming fast.....

Linux Mint has saved me some serious stress - cant do everything I know, but 98% including running a lot of MS software, but it is going from strength to strength and
as a HUGE BONUS, plays DOOM really well :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If anyone has an old PC to spare, try Linux Mint, have a play, you may be surprised, it took 3 months to convince me 3 years ago, its like a Russian Tank or AK47 or Toyota,
just keeps going. :Y:

BUT I fully understand people having their preferred brand of anything, it is what works for you, and that is all the reason anyone needs. ;) :)

Sorry for the rant guys but that old chestnut - software / hardware has been going on since well before the ZX Spectrum and C64.
- it is frustrating when you just need it to work, most of the time. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The laptop is holding onto its files in memory, the laptop is powered by the battery or 240Vac, remove 240Vac and the battery takes over
to provide power.

I am surprised you cant just hard reset the laptop via power button (maybe it is bios or software set to just 'standby')

Removing the battery kills power to the board and memory too - hard reset

Why it locks up ?

Software demands clash in memory allocations or swap

Faulty memory - pretty rare these days as there are methods to get around that by manufacturers, but was a problem in the earlier days of PC's

Software doesnt allow certain functions demanded by online websites - i.e. Java not being enabled on your PC

A dozen different things, but the job is to be able to reproduce the problem and work out the issue then fix it.

Even a bad soldered connection of a chip, gets warm and disconnects so locks up your toy.

Someone else would say, buy a new laptop its too old, or update you old software.
When you dont look at the problem as a whole and work thru it in a logical manner, its easy to fob it off.

The question these days is, how much are you prepared to spend to effect the repair ? :/

A mate ran a laptop repair business for years, then the retail price of new laptops dropped like a rock.
He turned over $1 million in one year, then as the 'new' price fell, the repairs did too.
Mostly he had to repair boards for poor manufacturing issues, the next category was physical damages, the next to recover client data.

Jaros, anything common when it locks up ? Time on ? Apps open ? Milkshake dripping on the keyboard ?
Does it have a cooling fan ? Cleaned it out lately ? pretty common cause of locking up - no ventilation, processor over heats.
Laptops suck up all the dust from the desktop - I named one Hoover once, every two weeks had to clean it out.
So many things.......

To force a reset.
Power your lap top on.
press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.
It will shut windows down hard but then clear
any cache etc.

Green Hornet, Thank You.
I hate that the only way/excuse is to wipe and install.

That to me is an absolute last resort.

I have the repair contract for HP in my area.

Latest posts