What are your other hobbies??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TTKooAu said:
Paydirt said:
Hey TTkooAu pardon my dumbness but what is visual basic compiling

Hey Paydirt,
It's writing computer applications, visual basic is the language.
Mostly I use it at work, creating payroll programs to suit specific Site Agreements.
Sounds boring as batshit, but I get a big kick out of seeing them run properly. :)
cheers bru,

Just jump in and add the things that I have done in my time above ground to the list!
I compete at the masters Games
Shotput
Javelin
Discus
Hammer
Golf
Tenpin.
Tennis
Also I've have had a go at,
Motor bikes
Boats
Building golf clubs
Cabinet making
Shooting
Cricket
Metal work
I love studying how things are put together, like old steam engines, old stationary engines, race car motors etc
My line of work involves:
Dozers, graders, loaders, excavators, trucks etc,
My Doctor said my body is about the same condition as an 85 year old and I'm not 63 yet, hahaha
I don't read books because it wastes my time! but I am slowing down a bit!!
I would love to have a go at astronomy, sounds great.

Cheers Goldslave

These are my hobbies :D

Graphic design
Building computers
Metal detecting (Of course :lol:)
Bush walking
Fishing
Pulling things apart
Finding something other then a pull tab

Thanks, :D

Restoring vintage axes

1408441815_p1010955.jpg

DIGGER DANNY said:
pauly250 said:

Hi Pauly, nice axes I have a Plumb broad axe (less handle). Where do you find these old axes.

Definately not bunnings LOL, swapmeets and garage sales are great places to start as its usually only the people that attend can find them and they can be snapped up for a good price unlike ebay where they are are available for the whole world to view,i do sell some on ebay from time to time as i am after the highest amount i can get so i need the whole world to view.

pauly250 said:
Restoring vintage axes

G'day Pauly,

I've just started restoring a rusty old axe head that was given to me. I was just going to give it a new handle and a sharpen, but after looking up instructions on the web, I discovered that there are axe "enthusiasts". Hanging the axe is no longer going to be as simple as just sticking a handle in the hole, I'm going to restore the axe to better than new condition.

I've removed the broken handle and cleaned up the rust by soaking in vinegar overnight. The poll has a bit of damage where someone has used it as a hammer so I'm using a file to remove the mushrooming. I still need to profile the cheeks, hang a new handle and sharpen the edge.

The head doesn't have a makers mark so I'm not too concerned with the result, it's more of a learning exercise. I'll look for a quality axe head for my next project and apply my newly learnt skills.

Cheers

Gerard

I was right into radio control aircraft big time until about 8 months ago then I discovered prospecting/detecting so now rc has taken a back seat.

GWT said:
pauly250 said:
Restoring vintage axes

G'day Pauly,

I've just started restoring a rusty old axe head that was given to me. I was just going to give it a new handle and a sharpen, but after looking up instructions on the web, I discovered that there are axe "enthusiasts". Hanging the axe is no longer going to be as simple as just sticking a handle in the hole, I'm going to restore the axe to better than new condition.

I've removed the broken handle and cleaned up the rust by soaking in vinegar overnight. The poll has a bit of damage where someone has used it as a hammer so I'm using a file to remove the mushrooming. I still need to profile the cheeks, hang a new handle and sharpen the edge.

The head doesn't have a makers mark so I'm not too concerned with the result, it's more of a learning exercise. I'll look for a quality axe head for my next project and apply my newly learnt skills.

Cheers

Gerard

You never know,some makers marks are small and down towards the sharp end take a close look, most of the older axes are 2 piece with a hardened steel section being forged in place,thats why the poll is usually damaged as its soft steel,whatever you do dont hit the axe with grinders or sanding disks as this usually will take the temper out of the steel,i use a hand stone and all my axes are hand finished.

I cringe when i see people buy axes from hardwares thesedays as they usually are made out of pre hardened chinese steel and a file wouldnt even make a mark on them they are very dangerous as a blunt axe will bounce off the timber and glance away into your leg,some of my best axes were purchased for as low as $5 and were very high quality steel over 100 years old and were hand forged.

Look for american brands KELLY,COLLINS,PLUMB .English brands BRADES ,GILPIN .Aussie brands KELLY true temper(dandenong and Tasmanian pattern) HYTEST,KEESTEEL.

Hey GWT my brother-in-law found an old axe head and he was told to soak it in molasses to remove the rust. Don't know how it works but apparently it does.
Cheers
Mackka

Nugget said:
Feel free to start a "Hams Radio" topic guys as it sounds like we could have a quite a few members who are into it. Schhh over. :lol:

Did anyone ever start the Ham Radio topic? Searched but didn't find anything. Would certainly be an interesting topic. Have always had a little bit of interest/curiosity in it but have never done anything in relation to it. Probably because I don't know anyone who is into it.

TTKooAu said:
Volunteer for Zoos SA
Classical guitar
Piano
Visual basic compiling
Astronomy
WOW , talent, love classical but can;'t play it. play a bit of keyboard, but midi files rule. :D

Hi Guys

Like some of us I've played guitar for the last 31 year, primariliy fingerstyle the last 10 years os so. I'm not going to win any awards but I enjoy myself.

My daughter is in the Australian youth Quior and both her and her brother are learning an instrument.

I'm a qualified telecommunications techninian not that I worked in the field much, qualified as a master engraver and a cobbller as well (I was board LOL) The went into 27 years of I/T and special projects security.

Retired way too early not by choice.

My Last hel Advanced Class Amateur Licence was as VK4ARI, spent a few years as office administrator, trustee and councillor for W.I.A.Q., ran the oldest unattended packet radio BBS in the country (VK4BBS / VK4PKT) The wife was last licenced as VK4LEA and we have two other either currently licenced or qualified Amateurs int he family along with the two kids making "I want my foundation licence" noises dam it LL

I ride motorcycles when health allows, fly all types of radio controled aircraf fixed wing, rotary or drone, discovered metal detecting about 2010 so still much to leanr and appease "she who muct be obeyed".

That's enough for a any man

Regards
Dec

Jaros said:
bazza2210 said:
Ham Radio, freshwater and saltwater fishing, building electronic gizmo's
G'DAY Bazza. I am into Ham Radio as well (VK4NLS).as Campertrailing, fishing (salt), 4x4 driving, Golf, cooking, touring Australia, general handymanning. :)
Hi, there Bazza and I sort of questioned if there were any Hams out there and from memory we got 5 of our members to reply.
Well i am VK4NLS let the ball roll again.
Bazza - VK2DLI
Dr Duck-VK2EF
Mackka-VK1KJM
Decada-VK4ARI
Lea-----VK????

Any more ???

Hi guys, besides the obvious, what else is everyone interested in? For me I love racing dragbikes, drumming, brewing beer and spirits from scratch and the same with jerky, bacon and sausage. Oh yeah and love shooting, dirtbikes and will hopefully have a horse soon enough, hmmm no wonder the bank account isn't as healthy as it should be :p

Matturbo said:
Hi guys, besides the obvious, what else is everyone interested in? For me I love racing dragbikes, drumming, brewing beer and spirits from scratch and the same with jerky, bacon and sausage. Oh yeah and love shooting, dirtbikes and will hopefully have a horse soon enough, hmmm no wonder the bank account isn't as healthy as it should be :p

Pheww, nice to keep busy, withal those hobbies. tecting is my main hobby. love bikes but the lack of $s curtails a lot of that. slowly doing up my 84 kwak. klr 250. next wil be the 84 gpz 900r.good bike but needs carbs done. liked shooting years ago but harder these days. gave up bands, guitar etc 5 years ago but thinking about getting another guitar and tooling around. not much else is there really. :lol:
1413464690_photo0349.jpg

1413464724_kl250_pic.jpg
1413464793_photo0310.jpg

Latest posts