What are your other hobbies??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday ched , i used to fly hang glider ( Foil155),been towed up by trike many times...
Things in life change, some by choice , some by other factors
as Leonardo Da Vinci said:
Once you have tasted flight you will forever walk this earth with your eyes turned skyward for there you want to return

bazza2210 said:
My gear - Icom 9100, Yaesu FT857, Yaesu FT450, Ameritron AL-811H linear, Yaesu G-1000DXA rotator, 10/15/20 meter 3 element tribander at at 27 feet, 70cm/2m high gain vertical at 40 feet, 12dbi cross polar yagi for 2m that is not up yet, full G5RV that blew down that I haven't put back yet (prospecting has my attention at the mo), numerous handhelds for CB, DSTAR, 6m and 70cm ...phew I think that is all ... oh and a yaesu FT1802 as a packet node with a permanent link via 11dbi yagi up to my mates place at Wollongong and a member of the Illawarra Amateur Radio society at Wollongong.

I would like to ask all of you radio legends a question if i may,
Whilst serving in the military i was told that radio signals bounce around and never really disperse, to the extent that old WW2 transmissions can be still picked up even today.
Is this true, or was my Sarge just really throwing out a top quality bum steer!! :|

Prop making used to be a hobby, until it turned into a career :p
Other hobbies include the occasional video game, and drinking too much at hipster bars in the city.

I would suggest a bum steer in so far as remaining on the planet, but having said that signals generated in WW2 or even at the very start with Marconi's work in 1897 will have radiated out from the planet and travelled many many light years out into the universe - about 120 light years in fact and could be received by an intelligent race. However dont expect an answer soon as it would take equally as long to reply. At present radio astronomers are listening to radio signals generated naturally billions of years old to determine the age of the universe.

I'm just getting into astrophotography starting to buy the bits and pieces needed for it.

Where I am I've noticed I only have to walk into the carport of my unit block to get an awsome show of the milkyway since there limited light pollution in my small town, and a 10min drive is all that's needed to get to somewhere really dark

Hey richo , sorry bout that PM , ill get back to you .... Heres the pic i was trying to upload
1404208216_image.jpg

Fill er up. Sandta. That is a cracker, just love it. Is it in gallons?
I have an old Ampol bowser at work. Had a bloke offer me a carton of XXXX for it. I told him to bring a truck load and we will talk about it hahaha.
Cheers
Mackka

DrDuck said:
Thought I already posted something in this thread, but obviously not!
I am also a member of the secret society of amateur radio - VK2EF.
Other hobbies include cooking, red wine and rum, fishing, and I am pretty serious about strength training.

And for some reason I forgot to add singing. Don't know how I did that.

DrDuck said:
DrDuck said:
Thought I already posted something in this thread, but obviously not!
I am also a member of the secret society of amateur radio - VK2EF.
Other hobbies include cooking, red wine and rum, fishing, and I am pretty serious about strength training.

And for some reason I forgot to add singing. Don't know how I did that.
G'day Dr Duck , you did post something on the 27/6/14. Feels like icicles hanging from my dipole as well as the horizontals on the 2 mtr sky stick. 5.4 degrees at 1230 am.
So far we have :
VK1KJM = Mackka
VK4NLS = Jaros
VK2DLI = Bazza
VK2EF = Dr Duck
:8

Mackka said:
Fill er up. Sandta. That is a cracker, just love it. Is it in gallons?
I have an old Ampol bowser at work. Had a bloke offer me a carton of XXXX for it. I told him to bring a truck load and we will talk about it hahaha.
Cheers
Mackka

Sorry about the picture quality, its a photo of a photo , this is a 1920s bowser i restored about 20 years back , this pic is all i have left , i had to sell/swap for storage fees owed plus a few months advance ( i got $4500) . Was a total wreck when i got it , had been flattened by a truck. I still have a Wayne 'bullseye' and Gilbarco 'cm' ( 50s-60s) plus a couple of other bits n pieces

dwt said:
TTKooAu said:
Volunteer for Zoos SA
Classical guitar
Piano
Visual basic compiling
Astronomy
Seen anything interesting in the stars lately TTKooAu? 8)

Hi dwt,
I guess lately that the star Antares which is part of the Scorpio constellation is really living up to its name (which means 'like Mars'). Bright red, brilliant. Wish it wasn't so b.... cold at night !

Paydirt said:
Hey TTkooAu pardon my dumbness but what is visual basic compiling

Hey Paydirt,
It's writing computer applications, visual basic is the language.
Mostly I use it at work, creating payroll programs to suit specific Site Agreements.
Sounds boring as batshit, but I get a big kick out of seeing them run properly. :)

TTKooAu said:
dwt said:
TTKooAu said:
Volunteer for Zoos SA
Classical guitar
Piano
Visual basic compiling
Astronomy
Seen anything interesting in the stars lately TTKooAu? 8)

Hi dwt,
I guess lately that the star Antares which is part of the Scorpio constellation is really living up to its name (which means 'like Mars'). Bright red, brilliant. Wish it wasn't so b.... cold at night !

If i had the spare money to set it up i would have a remote controlled tracking BA telescope with a nice big CCD camera connected to a 30 - 40 inch LCD or Plasma screen inside the house .

sit inside where its nice and warm , adjust the telescope by remote , turn the house lights off and view in the comfort of a nice big armchair.

:p

what does it cost to do that effectively TTKooAu ?

ps , if you didnt guess already , BA = Big As' Telescope

Sandta said:
Hey richo , sorry bout that PM , ill get back to you .... Heres the pic i was trying to uploadhttps://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3188/1404208216_image.jpg

what do you think the bowser is worth Sandta ?

If its not worth 10 - 20 grand now i think it will be eventually

does the paint look authentically original ?

HeadsUp wrote.....
If i had the spare money to set it up i would have a remote controlled tracking BA telescope with a nice big CCD camera connected to a 30 - 40 inch LCD or Plasma screen inside the house .
sit inside where its nice and warm , adjust the telescope by remote , turn the house lights off and view in the comfort of a nice big armchair.
tongue
what does it cost to do that effectively TTKooAu ?
ps , if you didnt guess already , BA = Big As' Telescope

Hey HeadsUp

lmao.....probably the same budget as NASA...sounds seriously good though.
I just have a 90mm refractor and a microwaved wheat bag stuffed down around the nether regions ;)

Latest posts