OldGT wants your input and opinions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about Mud brick (I haven't built anything with them) I saw a headline just this week of a couple in WA I think that built a home for 40k using earth material. Their goal was to get around and beat the mortgage trap :Y: they succeeded. I'll see if I can find the article and put up a link.

Mud Bricks are Fantastic way to build.... I have played around with some helping a mate build his hone... 3br 2 story Muddie for around $35k... Very Cheap.. Easy to lay, or get a brickie in for a few days to show you the way... You can make your own bricks and there is heaps of info on the net about them... You need to get your mixture just right tho and you can, With the help of a Bobcat/Backhoe knock out 100 + bricks a day. Drying time will depend on Mixture, Temperature and Humidity... What type of Soil/clay do you have on your Block? This is very important..... and im sure, as they are very Popular down south, plenty of people to help you out.. I have about 150 issues of 'Owner Builder' Magazine and they focus on Rammed Earth, Mudbricks, Cob Method (Very easy)... This is how I am going to build one day.. If you are not keen to make them, you can buy them but they are not a cheap thing unless you get Seconds... There is a group of People, I think they call themselves WWOOF... And they can help with Labour, Advise ect.... I can have a look through some mags and find some Web-sites for you, but Googling would likely be Quicker....

LW....

Awesome guys I knew you'd give help. Backhoe check. Rammer Earth advocate (the old Man) check. Not sure on soil type, but lots of heavy iron stone and quartz, there's thick yellowish clay about 2 to three foot down, at the fringes pipe clay (where diggings are). The top foot to 2 foot is gust gravelly brown broken clay type soils. I am certain though the 2 mud brick buildings nearby where constructed on site using the same soil types....decades later still standing so that's what got my mind ticking.

If it's just labor, mechanical work and getting a mixture right it's about as low cost as it comes, still best to do things right the first time. At the very least I thought about building side walls for a fire pit and a few bays for vegetables patches...but know deep down it probably would just be the beginning. I have so many cubes of rock I've always dreamt of building a house out of. I think I'll start with the transportable first though for ease and comfort haha.

If youve got the rock and always dreamt of it( Ive always loved the idea but dont have the rock) ide say go for it. Maybe combine the rock plus mud brick. :Y:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts