OldGT wants your input and opinions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many blokes here I have told but I own some properties right on some Goldfields.

Anyway the block Ive been spending my time on has been flogged free of all surface rubbish of the top diggings and the diggings at the bottom of the hillside have so much rubbish it's a mugs game trying. Biggest piece from the property line has been 1.1g detected and daylight to the next biggest and best cleanup running mullock through dry blowing or wet sluicing has been under half a gram for the days work.

All in all pretty pitiful for lots of hard graft, but I guess it there if you have the time. Certainly won't pay the block off from digging dirt though, but no big deal, hardly get a true prospector excited, or worth asking any one to spend their free time chasing it.

With that said I was up there today before driving less than 6km to some rich dirt...got your interest yet? Not wages per day but not bad for someone who knows where to wave a detector or put a shovel in. I went back to the small shed and got the fire going and got dry (it rained from 12.30 to 5.30) and after a bit of a chat with Mrs GT we struck on an idea. Here's where I want some no nonsense input and opinions.

I'm about to organize an easement and pipe into the block on the high hillside from the main sealed road. There's 3 small sheds there, plenty of firewood and open ground. It's about 15 acres total of mostly sloping ground with a few trees dotted here and there. Closest dwelling is more than 500m away.There's no electricity, running water, dam, or living shelter or gravel road in until easement and gateway put in.

So here's my questions. With gold being less than a 5 min drive, State forest and bush surrounds, Massive freshwater lake you can literally see from the block on the shallow end that has 3 boat ramps within 10 km drive, supermarket open 7 days with liquor department and 15 acres to spread out for as long as you like should I think about allowing people to camp or caravan on it for a fee? What would you pay for acess to this type of set up, if at all? Would power or livable shelter (properly set up undercover van) sway you to pay? If you payed would you like to use it for something else (getaway, riding bikes, fishing, hunting)? Where do you go now and what do pay for site access?

I'd be happy to just use it as a weekender for me and my mates but as I'm at point zero I thought I should give consideration to trying to generate some funds from it.

The block is in Rushworth, about an hour from Bendigo, 45 mins to Shepparton. I live 20 mins away and plan on being there every weekend from now till summer and extra holiday times getting it set up, at this point for me and mates, but curious if I should put more time into setting up for others.

So hit me with it fellas what are your thoughts?

From our recent travels I'd say 5 bucks a night for acess to a toilet, 10 if theres firewood or an under cover bbq area. 15 for power and 20 for power and a shower. Just a rough average. Allowing trail bikes or hunting will attract some but turn others away. Id stay but holidays are over for a while :(

xcvator said:
For private property where my gear is pretty safe and I can have a campfire at night I'd be happy to pay $10-00 p/n for my van
Cheers mate this is exactly the response I was after.
Made me remember I have several shipping containers at the other nearby properties and will soon either pick the best of the 20 foot reefers( Stainless lined) or get another half decent 40 footer put on site bring your own lock and key for safe theft proof storage. Would do the same for the access gate by key and lock or deposit for key to mine so noone comes by disturbing your stay.

Dave79 said:
From our recent travels I'd say 5 bucks a night for acess to a toilet, 10 if theres firewood or an under cover bbq area. 15 for power and 20 for power and a shower. Just a rough average. Allowing trail bikes or hunting will attract some but turn others away. Id stay but holidays are over for a while :(
Toilet...haha yes this kind of slipped my mind. Public toilet is a couple kms drive....not great if the urge strikes at the wrong time. God knows I don't want holes with trailing papers all over the place haha. Food for thought.

Family lIves two doors down so it actually never occurred to me what others would do should nature call.

And thanks for a guide on what you think is fair this helps me estimate fair prices.

As for bikes and hunters the block to me would really be too small for both(couples laps and you'd be board and the shooting game on there in any direction and the neighbors would bound to shoot back in your direction lol), but a good jump off gathering point and camping spot. Plenty of people already go to that area to do both already.

If you were in NSW the prices are a bit higher.

For a tent site, I have paid between $10-$25 per night (Toilets and Showers on most sites)
For a cabin 1 bed, and using communal showers/toilets $60-$85 per night
For a 1 be self contained cabin (shower and toilet in cabin) $80-$115.

One thing to remember is that if you set it up as a business, you will get the occasional idiot, who will try it on and claim injuries or other, which means you may need insurance. There could also be some other rules related to tent/van parks which you may need to adhere to.

You could let people stay and have a suggested donation which people could provide to assist with upkeep and maintenance.

I am not into Bike riding anymore, but I know a lot of people are.
You could have the local prospecting club/s run events at your place or use as a start point for other activities such as water sports in the lake you mentioned.

I hope you continue with the possibilities an hope that you are happy with what ever solution you come up with.

Cheers

Way2Go

Just for access to a secure private property i would be happy to pay $10/$20 per night to know i can leave my gear there safely while out detecting or high banking.
Just for another reference, when i stay at Tuena nsw van park it is $5.00 per night for unpowered and $10.00 for powered sites and $1 dollar coin for a three minute shower and onsite toilets available for free. There is also a caravan all set up and a cricket shed for larger groups to hire.
When i camped at Wedderburn 5 months ago in the local park with power that was $20.00 per night but got access to shower and toilets to.
I like the ideas your thinking about and these days lots of campers and van set ups are pretty self sufficient and they bring along most supplies so i would think a lot of people would be happy with some secure flat land to set up on and being close to the fossicking areas would be a draw card i'm sure.
Good luck with it.
Regards Dolphin.

Well if the access was good enough for me to bring my van in then $15-20 a night would be fine, depending on how nice the "feel" was.
I have on board battery/inverter power and toilet in my van, so no issue there.
Reckon you would have to stipulate a chem toilet for visitors, with contents disposed of away from property. (They are cheap and easy to do)
If there were a few bunnies around to shoot that would be good too, reckon an extra $10 a day for that would be fine.
Edit, just read your comment for being too small to hunt on, certainly any rifle, even 22 would be a no go on something that size, shotguns would be fine depending on topography, proximity to neighbours, if you did entertain that idea insist they are SSAA members as they automatically have 10mill insurance.

$10 bucks a night to camp is very cheap :eek: ... On the toilet side, you could install an Enviro Loo or something simular, But watch out for bike riders and Insurance.. They Don't go together.... It only takes one and you could loose the lot.... My Cousin lives at Numurkah and wants me to come down for a visit, so could be an option as well.. :Y: .. When Winter is over... :cool:

LW...

OldGT if you are to head down the path of user pays and your local put in an echo toilet system :Y: just don't tell anyone to dig there after a clean out :lol:. Seriously the echo toilet systems work well and after proper composting have virtually no odours, maybe cart tubs away to another block. As for hunting 15 acres doesn't cut it it's not viable on small acreage, closest neighbour is 500 metres away they'll be mighty pissed off if their permanent just my thoughts. I'd exclude hunting just not worth the trouble if the worst case should become reality. As for paying I'll sit on the fence and let others put their thoughts up, I live close (45 minutes) so don't have the need at this stage.

Great idea, great location all the best and yes it persisted down all frigg'n night and day the dams are full and overflowing :Y:.

I think its a good idea , probably lots to consider .

Before details get too deep , I think this topic should be members only view ( sorry if it already is ) - ?

Old GT the idea is great but could end in a lot of head aches and liability issues :( Plus some unhappy neighbours ;)

I may of missed something but unfortunately you need a minimum of 40 acres to use a firearm.. :Y: And that's just for small calibres like air rifle /22/shotguns....when using biger centrefires 40 acres is not enough. Also depends on where the 40 acres is situated :Y: Good luck.

Bogger said:
Old GT the idea is great but could end in a lot of head aches and liability issues :( Plus some unhappy neighbours ;)
Honestly my initial thoughts too Bogger but I like to have a bit of a dream sometimes. Liability is only an issue if you're liable, I don't mean to sound flippant in saying that but the reality is the solicitors battle it out any ways. Whether I 8nvite others on or not that will still be just as relevant. Unfortunately I had to deal with one flog who should have been a cull at birth a couple years ago which opened my eyes right up...not a pretty path to tread. In this country if you turn out to be the victim/claimant you have a massive head start towards victory from the get go. Best if I leave that there.

Smoky bandit said:
I may of missed something but unfortunately you need a minimum of 40 acres to use a firearm.. :Y: And that's just for small calibres like air rifle /22/shotguns....when using biger centrefires 40 acres is not enough. Also depends on where the 40 acres is situated :Y: Good luck.

Perhaps I have worded it poorly. I meant more a base camp for hunting g rather than somewhere to hunt. That said there's ducks, goats, foxes and rabbits in the area and bush, and some hunters are just bows and knives these days, and some bloves still enjoy ferreting for rabbits . I meant the term hunters in a very broad sense. Ive shot 10 to 40 pound carp in the shallows in summer with a crossbow since i was a teenager, and still get a few rabbits if im patient enough. Cheers.

Smoky bandit said:
Absolute rubbish http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/gun-law/is-there-a-minimum-area-of-land-for-shooting-on
This property sounds too small for anything but a 410 shotgun, but for the record there is no minimum acreage, at least not in Vic.
BTW look at the distance a 22 can go, it's very surprising for such a small round, they need to be respected.

Anyway best for you to keep this a no shooting property OldGT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts